GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Has anyone installed the MTEC HID kit on a 2010+ GL450?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GL450, 2013 E350
Has anyone installed the MTEC HID kit on a 2010+ GL450?

While there are numerous kits in the market, I'm very interested in the MTEC kit, so I'd like to hear from someone has installed their kits in place of the H7 low beam halogen light (utilizing the existing low-beam projector).

Thanks,
Dimitris
Old 11-16-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL 450
im searching for that right now... only read good reviews about it.... but i'm also curious about particular installations on a 2012 Gl450 with regular projector halogen headlamps and ECU error messages...
Old 11-17-2014, 08:16 AM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
according to MTEC, it's a pure plug & play solution

Originally Posted by djfredmiami
im searching for that right now... only read good reviews about it.... but i'm also curious about particular installations on a 2012 Gl450 with regular projector halogen headlamps and ECU error messages...
I contacted them and asked specifically of the degree of modification needed, and experiences.
They told me it has all the harnesses you need, and because of the way it's constructed (with the right capacitors), it won't throw errors in our computers.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:28 AM

2012 GL 450
Good to know... i think i'll give it a shot... they also state that they accept returns if any problems!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 AM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
I've had a bad experience with another vendor w/ returning a kit

Good to know... i think i'll give it a shot... they also state that they accept returns if any problems!
I ordered an HID kit (for $99) from CarXenonHidKits.com. They ship from NY, they say, yet the kit arrived from Canada. I changed my mind so I requested an RMA# from them to return the kit (unopened). They completely ignored my email and calls...until I opened a claim with PayPal. Then they gave me an RMA# and an address to ship the kit back in Canada.

The kit has been shipped back to them via USPS (registered; confirmed) since Oct 17, yet they still have not refunded my funds! I've opened another claim with PayPayl for them; the case is 'under review' at PayPal. The seller responded twice that the refund would show up on my PayPal acct ("in another day", "later in the week") and of course nothing.

So, big word of caution from members in this forum when dealing with CarXenonHidKits.com. Can't comment on the quality of their product but clearly their customer service, as well as their practice of refunding a purchase (when shipped back unopened essentially within 3 days from receipt), has left me livid...and out of $120 so far.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:43 AM

2012 GL 450
Originally Posted by dimitristx
I ordered an HID kit (for $99) from CarXenonHidKits.com. They ship from NY, they say, yet the kit arrived from Canada. I changed my mind so I requested an RMA# from them to return the kit (unopened). They completely ignored my email and calls...until I opened a claim with PayPal. Then they gave me an RMA# and an address to ship the kit back in Canada.

The kit has been shipped back to them via USPS (registered; confirmed) since Oct 17, yet they still have not refunded my funds! I've opened another claim with PayPayl for them; the case is 'under review' at PayPal. The seller responded twice that the refund would show up on my PayPal acct ("in another day", "later in the week") and of course nothing.

So, big word of caution from members in this forum when dealing with CarXenonHidKits.com. Can't comment on the quality of their product but clearly their customer service, as well as their practice of refunding a purchase (when shipped back unopened essentially within 3 days from receipt), has left me livid...and out of $120 so far.

Paypal delays but works! i've had a few claims and they all ended up being refunded to me. but thanks for the advice. at least the reviews on the Mtec people are good... but it's almost 3 times more expensive ( $270 ) but i guess still a bargain to upgrade a GL to HID right?
Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 AM

2010 GL450, 2013 E350
Paypal delays but works! i've had a few claims and they all ended up being refunded to me. but thanks for the advice. at least the reviews on the Mtec people are good... but it's almost 3 times more expensive ( $270 ) but i guess still a bargain to upgrade a GL to HID right?
Actually, when an HID kit for a premium vehicle like the GL costs somewhere between $250 - $450, it gives me some more confidence that there's quality in the product. I'm not one of those 'if it's expensive, it must be good' but c'mon, the cost to manufacture a proper HID low-beam socket, with the right wiring/harnesses, ballasts, etc. certainly should be more than $99... We don't want to have to deal with wires fraying, melting the housing, causing upstream electrical issues, etc., or worse, leave you stranded one cold, winter night when you're driving in a mountain in CO and the 'cheapo' HID kit go kaput on you Everything is relative.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL 350
MTEC kit - my experience

Hey guys,

I was wondering this too, having bought a truck without the factory xenons (and saving a huge amount by doing so). I bought the 4300k MTEC kit and had it professionally installed. I have done the plug and play ones before and they are easy, but this one is a bit more complicated. Didn't want to bugger anything up, so happily paid a pro to put it in, and I'm glad I did. He said he had to modify a couple of the connectors slightly to make everything fit, but it was not too difficult. In any case, he said that from what he could tell, it was a high quality product. They throw no codes and the light output is approximately one hundred thousand times better than the pitiful halogens. The beams are very well aimed because of the good factory projector housings. I could not be more pleased.

I did turn off the DRLs because the sensor has them on nearly all the time (let me know if you know a fix for that) and I don't want to always drive around with all my lights on.

The colors in these pictures aren't very good because my garage is an off-white, almost cream color. The color temperature is much whiter in reality, and my fog lights that you see shining on the door in the one picture are not pink, they are just regular halogen color but look funky on my iPhone camera.

Feel free to lob me any questions!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
DDM Tuning H7 55w 4600k - I had it professionally installed this time (I DIY'd the last two sets with the other cars). Lifetime warranty, came with bulbs, ballasts, error eliminators. Out the door for about $65. It looks great and the street doesn't look like it's lit with candlelight (halogen) anymore. The other HID kits I've installed previously are still running strong, after 3 years.

DDM Tuning is in San Diego, convenient for me.