GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

HID Headlights Just not that Bright or Crisp Anymore

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GL 550 + 2010 GLK 350
Originally Posted by DrMel
Yea the HID bulb is surprisingly easy to access. What are the details I should follow though? LOL, felling a bit gun shy by the 25k volt warning.
wear gloves not to stain the bulb
turn off the car and take the key somewhere far away (to prevent keyless thingy activate anything in the car)
get a cold beer to calm yourself as the space is tight and patience will be your best tool
for the rest, you don’t need any tools.
unscrew the cap, take out the bulb from the housing
detach the cable
attach the new bulb to the cable
mount the bulb
close the cap back
do the other side

this is simply it
check some youtube videos on how to replace hid bulbs on mercedes benz and you’re golden
a nice weekend project
I got me a pair from amazon that cost me less than 40$ (a pair) it was the bargain of a year and the reviews were stellar, if I were you, I’d try that first before Osram or Philips bulbs as they’re 3-5 times more expensive.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL 450
Originally Posted by ignorant

wear gloves not to stain the bulb
turn off the car and take the key somewhere far away (to prevent keyless thingy activate anything in the car)
get a cold beer to calm yourself as the space is tight and patience will be your best tool
for the rest, you don’t need any tools.
unscrew the cap, take out the bulb from the housing
detach the cable
attach the new bulb to the cable
mount the bulb
close the cap back
do the other side

this is simply it
check some youtube videos on how to replace hid bulbs on mercedes benz and you’re golden
a nice weekend project
I got me a pair from amazon that cost me less than 40$ (a pair) it was the bargain of a year and the reviews were stellar, if I were you, I’d try that first before Osram or Philips bulbs as they’re 3-5 times more expensive.
Thanks-a-million. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I've got these to try:
Amazon Amazon
. The number of reviews was outstanding.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GL 550 + 2010 GLK 350
Originally Posted by DrMel
Thanks-a-million. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I've got these to try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The number of reviews was outstanding.
haha I have the same bulbs!
was talking about them.
take some photos if you can and all the best!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
OEM is around 4300K for a reason. Anything higher creates too much reflection in snow or rain and you will not be able to see clearly.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
You do get what you pay for when it comes to hid bulbs. I would stick with brand name Phillips or Osram.

I dont agree with chu....I’ve had the oem 4300k bulbs and they were terrible in the snow.

This is last fall I switched to Phillips’s xtremevision 4800k and the difference is amazing. Just came back from snow covered Maine and I could see farther clearer and better than ever in the snow.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:46 AM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Originally Posted by kombifan
You do get what you pay for when it comes to hid bulbs. I would stick with brand name Phillips or Osram.

I dont agree with chu....I’ve had the oem 4300k bulbs and they were terrible in the snow.

This is last fall I switched to Phillips’s xtremevision 4800k and the difference is amazing. Just came back from snow covered Maine and I could see farther clearer and better than ever in the snow.
When snowing? 4300 vs 4800 is not a big deal. Put 6000 in and report back. Human eyes do not process blue, indigo and violet colors as well as yellow light.

Last edited by chsu74; 01-06-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:41 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Just wanted to quickly point out also that OEM xenon's on modern MBs (and many other makes) are now 5000k.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL 450
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Just wanted to quickly point out also that OEM xenon's on modern MBs (and many other makes) are now 5000k.
I was gonna mention that the stock HID's on my 2014 Impala LTZ are closer to 6000K. That's what sparked me to investigate the bulbs on our GL. It was raining one night as I was coming home from work in the Impala and all was well. I grabbed the GL to go run errands and was immediately concerned about the lack of lighting I was getting while driving in the rain with the previous 4300k HID's. I guess it's possible that the stock bulbs were aging out anyway though.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:18 PM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ght_color.html

For what its worth.

"What, then, explains the persistent subjective preference amongst experienced poor-weather drivers for selective yellow fog lamps (whether or not they happen to know that's the name of the colour), despite decades of white fog lamp prevalence? Selective yellow light can improve a driver's ability to see in fog or rain or snow, but not because it 'penetrates fog better' or 'reflects less off droplets'. In fact it's because of the way the human eye processes different colours of light. Blue, indigo, and violet are difficult for the human optical system to process correctly. They are the shortest visible wavelengths and tend to focus in front of our retina rather than upon it. To demonstrate this to yourself, after dark find a deep blue storefront sign or blue lights on an airport runway or something else that's a deep blue light emitter against a dark background in the absence of white light--from any appreciable distance, it's almost impossible for your eyes to see the blue lighted object as a sharply defined form;the edges blur. The blur effect is not present with nearby signs or lights of colours other than blue.

Blue also is a very difficult colour of light to look at; it stimulates the reaction we call glare. Within the range of allowable white light, bluer headlamps have been shown to be 46% more glaring than yellower ones for a given intensity of light -- see studies here and here. So, it seems culling the blue out of the spectrum lightens the optical workload and reduces glare."