GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

P2005 - dealer states new intake manifolds - tried bypass but new code p2006 +p2007

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 Mercedes GL350
Unhappy P2005 - dealer states new intake manifolds - tried bypass but new code p2006 +p2007

Hello all,

my first post.

I did some searching and have not found any info on this forum under P2005 for the 2010 GL350.

I have a X164 with the OM642 diesel.

I took it to a local shop they broke the intake assembly, dented the door and discarded my under engine cover. Very upset.

Worst of all they did not fix the P2005.

SO far I have:

replaced the swirl flap motor
I hear it move when I turn the key.
P2005 came back.

I just purchased the resistor setup. It is a resistor inside the connector for the engine harness.

Unfortunately I plugged it in and now the P2005 is gone but I have P2006 and P2007 which states : Swirl flap closed.

If the P2005 indicated it is stuck open. I may have incorrectly plugged the resistor in. The connector seems to fit only one way.

Anyone here ever attempt the bypass?

I need to pass inspection and have spent close to $2000 trying to remedy small issues and now MB wants $4400 for intake manifolds.

I want to make the bypass work.

I am guessing the resistor is on the wrong way. Please illuminate me.

Any tips would help.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:05 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Resistors behave the same both ways. Diodes are the ones that matter. So it is not that the resistor is plugged the wrong way. You have a wiring issue. Harness needs to be interrogated via the "activations" and "actual values" menus. Btw, you want a working flapper as it affects engine response and fuel economy.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 AM

2010 Mercedes GL350
Thanks for the response. I will contact Mercedes and see how they "diagnosed" the problem. Seems they just looked up common ​issues bulletin and that was it.

Hopefully I can get them to run the correct tests.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 AM

2010 Mercedes GL350
I thought I would mention, when I bought it I asked the seller for an OBD scanner and he said the garage was locked. I feel I was cheated... I drove it up from Florida to NH. I averaged 22MPG. I only get 21 MPG. I thought I would get 25-30MPG. Perhaps I got screwed and bought the vehicle with the P2005?

What do you normally get with your diesel?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL 350 2010
I have a code 2005 and I'm getting 26 MPG.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:35 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017
Originally Posted by gabrielneedshel
I thought I would mention, when I bought it I asked the seller for an OBD scanner and he said the garage was locked. I feel I was cheated... I drove it up from Florida to NH. I averaged 22MPG. I only get 21 MPG. I thought I would get 25-30MPG. Perhaps I got screwed and bought the vehicle with the P2005?

What do you normally get with your diesel?
It depends on a lot of factors, what was your avg speed ? I get 28 when my avg is 45 mph, I get 22 at 75 mph ... I'd put in diesel injector Cleaner and use a lighter foot where I can lol

Question: what's your avg shift rpm when not gunning but going through traffic lights with others ? Is it 2500 or 2k ? I'm comparing to our car
Old 03-29-2017, 09:44 AM

2010 Mercedes GL350
Smile Possible Conclusion!

Hello all,

just wanted to post an update and possibly close this thread...

P2005 code meant I could not pass inspection in the state of NH

I went to a local shop and they swapped out the swirl flap motor to no change. They would not proceed to remove the intake manifold because they could not/would not remove the turbo and other parts in the way...

Then I went to Mercedes. Found out the shop broke the wire harness, had that replaced. Also found the intake box was broken at the turbo. Had to replace that as well. You can imagine $$$$$!

I then purchased a swirl motor simulator plug from CB engineering. Turns out the X164 has 2 extra sensors than previous models and this simulator does NOT work. It's ok I only spent $25. I called CB Engineering and they were kind to explain the entire thing.

http://cb-engineer.com/products/jeep...simulator-plug

I also asked about the swirl motor delete.
They explained I could but would have to wait for CB Engineering to have a final ECM tune available. They told me they are about a month away from a final release.

I told CB Engineering that I would like to post a review of the ECM tune but they never got back to me with a price. So I moved on.

I would also need intake manifolds with swirl flap holes plugged and a few minor things. Not to mention I would have to pay for the intake manifold removal and reinstall.

One local shop was not willing to work with me to get it done this way.

I called around and Mercedes wanted $4400 to replace the intake manifolds

I then called the DEA...I mean Duncan's European Automotive
They have DEA shirts and stuff.

I spoke to TJ and they have a Mercedes Master Mechanic, yes I did capitalize those letters on purpose, if you can do this job you deserve it.

http://www.duncansauto.com/

I drove it there yesterday and the price they are charging is extreme fair and they have experience doing the job.

If anyone in the area needs service for European cars in NH go to them.

I have a photo of the crud from the intake which I will attach to this post.

I am having TPMS installed on my 22" AMG Wheels, alignment and brake flush.

Anyone have questions on this let me know!

I will post once I have the vehicle back.
Attached Thumbnails P2005 - dealer states new intake manifolds - tried bypass but new code p2006 +p2007-olinger1.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by gabrielneedshel:
fireman1073 (03-31-2017), S-Vibes (12-29-2019), StradaRedlands (03-30-2017)
Old 12-29-2019, 04:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2010 GL350 BLUETEC, 2013 E350 Sport
Question

Originally Posted by gabrielneedshel
Hello all,

just wanted to post an update and possibly close this thread...

P2005 code meant I could not pass inspection in the state of NH

I then purchased a swirl motor simulator plug from CB engineering. Turns out the X164 has 2 extra sensors than previous models and this simulator does NOT work. It's ok I only spent $25. I called CB Engineering and they were kind to explain the entire thing.

http://cb-engineer.com/products/jeep...simulator-plug

I also asked about the swirl motor delete: They explained I could but would have to wait for CB Engineering to have a final ECM tune available. They told me they are about a month away from a final release. I told CB Engineering that I would like to post a review of the ECM tune but they never got back to me with a price. So I moved on. I would also need intake manifolds with swirl flap holes plugged and a few minor things. Not to mention I would have to pay for the intake manifold removal and reinstall.
Thanks for chasing this down for me. I've been trying to run the resistor hack on my 2010 GL350 too, but was running into the same issues you had with P2004/P2005/P2006/P2007. With my flaps locked open, I got P2006/P2007, stuck closed. Then i removed the sensors from their housing and got P2004/P2005, stuck open. I wonder if there is any hack for the position sensors to see normal movement readings? Did anyone get the price from cb-engineer for the tune they offer and can anyone offer first hand review?