GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2010 GL550 transmission software flash update?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M3
2010 GL550 transmission software flash update?

Has anyone gone to the dealer to get a current transmission software re flash? I was thinking of spending the money to try this out. Dealer said they would need 1hr of labor to plug in and see what's on the GL and what they could flash to it.
They were unable to tell me what software is on the GL over the phone, unfortunately.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,089 Likes on 876 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Is there something wrong with your transmission? Acting up in any way?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:35 PM

M3
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Is there something wrong with your transmission? Acting up in any way?
No just this...
Has anyone experienced a throttle/gas pedal delay when coming to an "almost" complete stop, then trying to get back on throttle?
I have a delay in throttle application.
When I come to a COMPLETE stop I don't have the delay, it's just when I'm maybe going 1-2 MPH and then try to get back on throttle, I can depress the throttle 1/4 way, and for about 1/2 second nothing happens, then it kicks in with a fury.
I realize it's drive by wire, but with this delay it's actually semi dangerous.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2007 GL450 , 2012 BMW 528i
Originally Posted by MadroneMTN
No just this...
Has anyone experienced a throttle/gas pedal delay when coming to an "almost" complete stop, then trying to get back on throttle?
I have a delay in throttle application.
When I come to a COMPLETE stop I don't have the delay, it's just when I'm maybe going 1-2 MPH and then try to get back on throttle, I can depress the throttle 1/4 way, and for about 1/2 second nothing happens, then it kicks in with a fury.
I realize it's drive by wire, but with this delay it's actually semi dangerous.
Yes, this is normal when you floor the pedal while transmission is in middle of a downshift. When you are coming to a stop, transmission is downshifting to 2nd gear. This usually happens when you suddenly realize that you can get through that Yellow traffic light . When you floor it, tranny first downshifts completely and then accelerates and then upshifts. It takes a moment and traffic lights turns red while you are cruising through the intersection Been there.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 PM

M3
Originally Posted by TX07GL450
Yes, this is normal when you floor the pedal while transmission is in middle of a downshift. When you are coming to a stop, transmission is downshifting to 2nd gear. This usually happens when you suddenly realize that you can get through that Yellow traffic light . When you floor it, tranny first downshifts completely and then accelerates and then upshifts. It takes a moment and traffic lights turns red while you are cruising through the intersection Been there.
Yes, exactly, I hate it! That's why I was thinking a transmission software re flash or update may help. My other cars I've owned over the years have never done this.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,089 Likes on 876 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Normal. Use your paddle shifter(button on the backside of the steering wheel) to downshift if it bothers you. Not sure any update will solve your normal issue. Does it have a sport mode for the transmission? If so, try that.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:39 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Don't reflash. Your tcu software version is just fine
Old 07-14-2017, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 246 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Other cars will do the same thing. They ALL have to downshift at some point. You're probably just finding that that 1-2mph is where your car is choosing to do it. Maybe your other cars did it at 3-4 mph, but you never noticed. In other words, if your car did it at 3-4mph you may never have known... or you noticed it, you could have expressed a concern about THAT speed. Anyway you look at it, they have to shift at some point. And these cars are not Indy cars, so the shifting will certainly take a fraction of a second longer.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:55 PM

M3
Originally Posted by DennisG01
Other cars will do the same thing. They ALL have to downshift at some point. You're probably just finding that that 1-2mph is where your car is choosing to do it. Maybe your other cars did it at 3-4 mph, but you never noticed. In other words, if your car did it at 3-4mph you may never have known... or you noticed it, you could have expressed a concern about THAT speed. Anyway you look at it, they have to shift at some point. And these cars are not Indy cars, so the shifting will certainly take a fraction of a second longer.
Understood and agreed, but just wondering if a trans re flash would help the speed of downshift.
Still deciding if I want to roll the dice on it....
Old 07-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2007 GL450 , 2012 BMW 528i
Originally Posted by MadroneMTN
Understood and agreed, but just wondering if a trans re flash would help the speed of downshift.
Still deciding if I want to roll the dice on it....
Probably not, as it has more to do with physical and mechanical factors than computer commands.
Still, an updated software flash won't hurt, I guess.
Maybe we can get some informative data from your dollars and make them worth spent
Old 07-14-2017, 07:53 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Again. Do not flash. You run a high chance of the new energy saving algorithm not working well with the current state of wear of your clutches. This will result in a slight thud when taking off when clutches engage which is very annoying.

A reflash is for particular problems which you don't experience. Don't mess with things that work fine right now.