GL350 2012 Cheapest diagnostic system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GL350 2012
Exclamation GL350 2012 Cheapest diagnostic system

Hello,

I have a 2012 GL350, I'm wondering what would be the cheapest diagnostic system I could get for my car. I have a couple of cheap ODB readers at home, but with those I only get the basic engine error codes.

I have a parktronic sensor damaged, I would need a system who can point me wich one exactly, I have some troubles with the airmatic system, I need to know if the pump it's working well, if the raising sensor is faulty, etc.

So I read all around about the star system, I can see on ebay they sell C4 and C5 Xentry for around 500$us, that's a little expensive, it's that the only option to properly diagnose a mercedes ? Do I have cheaper alternatives ? Also Xentry it seems to be a software paired (works only) on a very specific hardware, it seems unnecesary complicated...

Thanks for illuminating me on the topic.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:43 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by drakecoldwinter
Hello,

I have a 2012 GL350, I'm wondering what would be the cheapest diagnostic system I could get for my car. I have a couple of cheap ODB readers at home, but with those I only get the basic engine error codes.

I have a parktronic sensor damaged, I would need a system who can point me wich one exactly, I have some troubles with the airmatic system, I need to know if the pump it's working well, if the raising sensor is faulty, etc.

So I read all around about the star system, I can see on ebay they sell C4 and C5 Xentry for around 500$us, that's a little expensive, it's that the only option to properly diagnose a mercedes ? Do I have cheaper alternatives ? Also Xentry it seems to be a software paired (works only) on a very specific hardware, it seems unnecesary complicated...

Thanks for illuminating me on the topic.
Xentry will not tell you which specific parking sensor is out.

And yes- xentry is the cheapest (and only) option it you want to diagnose, test and actuate Mercedes modules.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:50 PM

GL350 2012
Thanks for the reply, so Xentry is used to check the level sensor, the airmatic pump and those kind of components, but it doesn't cover parktronic ?

What's the main difference between Xentry C4 or C5 ? (in my case)
Old 09-29-2017, 08:39 AM

GL350 2012
I found something called iCarSoft MB ii, it seems to be tailored for mercedes Benz models and seems to be able to check and diagnose all the sensors and components of the car (airmatic and parktronic sensors are in the supported list). It sells for around 150$us

Has anyone used this tool ? it's any good ?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450cdi x164
The cheapest way to check the parking sensors are to listen for a "ticking" sound from each of them. Lots of videos at Youtube.

I have the iCarsoft MBII. Diagnostic tools are a must with today's cars, but as with all computers, "Crap in is Crap out". It's the car's own onboard computers deceiding for errors and codes. The iCarsoft MBII is like other diagnostic tools, but this one is tailored for MB error codes.

If looking for a Xentry Connect diagnostic, be aware, lots of crap around. I would guess that more than 80% is crap. If deciding for a Xentry I would say that Google is Your best friend.

Last edited by Jamm; 09-29-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:45 AM

GL350 2012
Can the icarsoft truly check all the mercedes components and parking sensors and level sensors and the likes ?

Do you regret your MB ii ? would you buy a Xentry instead ? Crap in is crap out you mean the MB ii it's not very good at diagnostics because it's not very good quality tool ?

The Xentry looks complicated and expensive for little result I don't think I'm ready to spend the money a Xentry cost
Old 09-29-2017, 10:55 AM

GL450cdi x164
Originally Posted by drakecoldwinter
Can the icarsoft truly check all the mercedes components and parking sensors and level sensors and the likes ?

Do you regret your MB ii ? would you buy a Xentry instead ? Crap in is crap out you mean the MB ii it's not very good at diagnostics because it's not very good quality tool ?

The Xentry looks complicated and expensive for little result I don't think I'm ready to spend the money a Xentry cost
The iCarsoft MBII is able to check all sensors I have been looking for, even live datastream from speed and TPMS sensors. I am not sure if it will cover all sensors, but if not, there is not many left. The icarsoft MBII is value for the money, and I would buy again.

I would stay away from a Xentry if not 100% sure it's a quality made item.
The following users liked this post:
drakecoldwinter (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 AM

GL450cdi x164
Just to clarify "Crap In is like Crap Out"

A diagnostic box only shows what it reads, if "Crap" is read, is shows "Crap". You have to be able to understand the values You expect to see.