Headlamp upgrade advice and experience

Old 01-22-2018, 05:54 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Originally Posted by EWT
A couple of low beam output shots:

EVOX-R projector output on road

EVOX-R projector output on wall

Excellent cutoff!!! That' awesome. Ive come to the conclusion I'm going to try and go through with an LED foglight and housing.

Unsure on how I will mount these though as I currently have small LED strip as the DRLs. Any suggestions would be great.

Also I wonder if the wiring for H11 fog lights are an easy plug and play with the OEM LED strip that came with me vehicle. I don' have as much room.

OR

I could just install fog lights with an after market switch.

I want an LED housing and an excellent cut off so I can aim the fogs to where I'm not blinding other vehicles. They color plays also a factor. I'd prefer the same color the new Ford Explorers come with. Some cops drive them and they put some serious light on the road. Anyone seen them?? I've also attached a quick picture of my stock cutoff. I cant align them for anything. Does the light pattern look normal??

if

Factory Cut off.
anyone has any suggestions, please advise.

***I usually always order from Super Bright LEDS. They're located here in St Louis and well, they have some serious bright long lasting LEDs.

Again thank you all for all your help!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:13 PM
EWT

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
They look decently aligned to me, but I'm not super particular about lining everything up to the millimeter on a wall. The amount of usable light on the road doesn't really change as long as you get it close. The headlight housings on mine have quite a bit of "slop" built into the mounting points and I should tweak mine a little.

You might check with Diode Dynamics too. They're located in Earth City and sell high quality stuff.

Eric (former STL resident)
Old 01-23-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450 CDI
164 - 450GL, CDI, 2010.
I want to upgrade to LED DRL's. I want the LED strip and pull out the Fog lamps. My vehicle has 2 lamps on each side. Does anyone have the OEM part nos. for the Cover, Bezel and Lamp. Would I need resistors.

if anyone on this thread would like to swap OEM LED DRL's, it would be an idea.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:32 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Originally Posted by Jason B

I got my full HUD setup hi/lo/wedge from azn and it's awesome. Ever better color than my s class with factory hid which I love already!

HID's still perform best in the stock GL headlights. I've seen both led and hid. Hid has been perfected in this case for this truck since it was designed around his from the factory.

Can you share which AZN kit you got for your lights and any installation details/tips you may have/remember? Does this convert high beam, low beam, and the little corner light all to HID?
Old 10-20-2019, 12:26 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by tadiguy
Can you share which AZN kit you got for your lights and any installation details/tips you may have/remember? Does this convert high beam, low beam, and the little corner light all to HID?
H7 canbus hybrid HID conversion kit

Old 10-20-2019, 12:36 AM

2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Thanks for the quick reply, but I've been browsing the AZN site and still wasn't sure set to get is why I asked my question. If I want both high beam and low beam converted to Xenon, do I need two kits with a pair of ballasts & bulbs for high beam and another pair of ballast/bulb for low beam? Jason_B's post and picture suggests he converted high/low/corner lights in headlight assembly to HID. I'm interested in doing the same or at least high/low xenons.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:12 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Thanks for the quick reply, but I've been browsing the AZN site and still wasn't sure set to get is why I asked my question. If I want both high beam and low beam converted to Xenon, do I need two kits with a pair of ballasts & bulbs for high beam and another pair of ballast/bulb for low beam? Jason_B's post and picture suggests he converted high/low/corner lights in headlight assembly to HID. I'm interested in doing the same or at least high/low xenons.
High and low will each require their own kit.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:19 AM

GL 450 CDI

They will require their own kits. Bulb retainer clips https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...27424c4d7mslai
I hope that helps.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:40 PM

2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Quick follow up: I'm getting EVO-XR to replace the stock halogen projector for low beam. My GL450 doesn't have factory bi-xenon so the halogen reflector is my high beam. Can the reflector be changed to HID projector as well? I've seen some retro where the projector sits inside the reflector, but for this car the reflector is relatively small so I'm not sure if such approach will work. Anyone with knowledge or experience about swapping the halogen reflector for HID projector or info about which kit might work let me know.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:42 AM

2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
My GL450 doesn't have factory bi-xenon so the halogen reflector is my high beam. Can the reflector be changed to HID projector as well? I've seen some retro where the projector sits inside the reflector, but for this car the reflector is relatively small so I'm not sure if such approach will work. Anyone with knowledge or experience about swapping the halogen reflector for HID projector or info about which kit might work let me know.
Bump, anyone...
Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Some have done it and, if you do a search, you may find the process or look up on youtube, etc. You need to remove the headlights and front plexi light cover so you can install the new projector/lens.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:21 AM

c280 1995 green, e320 2003 black, ml 320 2000 black
Originally Posted by Yup497
I was referencing the OP.

My situation is I have a 550 with the lighting package. The factory HID system does NOT put out light enough for me on the road. I have the small LED strip where some have the factory fog lamps.

I was curious if anyone has added LED fog lamps that have an actual LED projector? The current LED strip are DRLs. I suppose I could swap to factory fog lamps but I would get the bright white color I'm trying to achieve.

I've searched and was unable to locate any threads regarding the issue.
Check this out
Old 12-16-2019, 09:28 PM
EWT

You might be able to run a second bi-xenon, but aiming two sets of projectors correctly is supposed to be pretty tough (never done it personally).

This might work and would have the advantage of instant startup over something HID based: https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php...projector.html I rarely use the high beams on my GL, so there's not much point on it, but I'm planning to put a set in another car I've already retrofitted with a bi-xenon projector for the low beams.
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450 - x164
X164 headlamp upgrade

We have a 2010 GL450 x164. Has anyone done this upgrade ? I found this company in Europe called

Xenon Carbon Garage
Bosnia&Hercegovina
76300 Bijeljina

Old 12-27-2019, 12:31 AM

2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Originally Posted by Iliana_Omar
We have a 2010 GL450 x164. Has anyone done this upgrade ? I found this company in Europe called

Xenon Carbon Garage
Bosnia&Hercegovina
76300 Bijeljina

https://youtu.be/xvwDDXduya4

Yes I did it. Wasn't that bad.

Heres the write up:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/734543-evoxr-retrofit-help.html

Heres my ambient lighting thread (everyone asks):

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/721364-retrofit-ambient-lighting.html

Last edited by Yup497; 12-27-2019 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Adding link to dyi
Old 12-27-2019, 12:07 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 GL550
Originally Posted by Yup497
Yes I did it. Wasn't that bad.

Heres the write up:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ofit-help.html
Definitely like the turn signal strips, any more info on how those were?
Old 12-27-2019, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450 - x164
Searching for reputable retailer

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Definitely like the turn signal strips, any more info on how those were?
I went online thru lightwerks and requested a quote for my 2010 Mercedes GL450 x164 waiting , below is the link , have been thinking perhaps for those interested find a reputable forum member to initiate a group buy to benefit those who are really interested in this upgrade.

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/contacts/index/

Last edited by Iliana_Omar; 12-27-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Searching reputable forum member to initiate group buy
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 09:24 PM

2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Originally Posted by Iliana_Omar
I went online thru lightwerks and requested a quote for my 2010 Mercedes GL450 x164 waiting , below is the link , have been thinking perhaps for those interested find a reputable forum member to initiate a group buy to benefit those who are really interested in this upgrade.

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/contacts/index/

I'D say in the #500 per headlight. Lightwerk are amazing
Old 02-15-2022, 02:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Couldn't make heads or tails of your headlight situation, but I'll note that the halogen fog light bulbs can be changed to LED. Have to open up the back for ventilation, though, at least on my 07 GL450. I don't know what one might want in a true fog light; I wanted short range light for low speed off road driving.
you got any pictures? I totally forgot about the fog lights.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 475 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Mikchek
I documented the upgrade in a thread. I was kinda dumb and didn't check what was in back of the fog light enclosure, but got lucky and did not sever any air hoses nor punch a hole in the windshield washer reservoir when I got out the hole saw.

They make an excellent DRL for long distance two-lane road (oncoming traffic) warning. They are also great for low speed side lighting at night. It helped when I removed the stupid black trim and lined the housings with foil tape.

Let me know if you can't find the thread.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:05 PM
EWT

I actually just stuck some relatively cheap ($35) HIkari LED H11 bulbs in the fog lights, and they work pretty well. Brighter than the halogens, better match in light color to the headlights and they don't scatter light everywhere like a set I tried several years with bigger LEDs that bulged out at the sides. The Hikaris have a row of small LEDs that do a better job of approximating the halogen filament the lights are designed to work with. They're still not very good fog lights, but better than before.

I'm also getting a pair of Morimoto HB LED projectors from Lightwerkz later this week that I'm going to try to retrofit into the high beams. I'll post some pics once I get the lights open again and hopefully of the finished product.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 475 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by EWT
I actually just stuck some relatively cheap ($35) HIkari LED H11 bulbs in the fog lights, and they work pretty well. Brighter than the halogens, better match in light color to the headlights and they don't scatter light everywhere like a set I tried several years with bigger LEDs that bulged out at the sides. The Hikaris have a row of small LEDs that do a better job of approximating the halogen filament the lights are designed to work with. They're still not very good fog lights, but better than before.
Yeah, I guess the first gen LED bulbs were kinda sad. The design challenge was threefold: Get about 25W of LEDs in a small space, configure them so their total output matches a 3/8" long tungsten wire, and get the heat out of there so they last longer than a few hours. Such is life when you try to fit to prior design. I am sure designing headlights with LEDs in mind from the beginning is far more fruitful.

I don't understand what fog lights are supposed to do, exactly, although I understand the yellow color plays a role. I doubt the GL's "fog lights" are good examples of the art, but they make great low speed wide dispersal lights. Very helpful in deer country.

Don't mind telling you, it sure is annoying to not be able to run the high beams and fog lights simultaneously. If I want to pretend I'm a rally car driver I ought to be able.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:38 PM
EWT

The sides are mostly where I can see the extra light with mine too. I tried to fit a set of Diode Dynamics SS3 fog lights into the space available once the stock lights were removed, but they were ever so slightly too tall to fit and trying to figure out a way to mount them was a challenge as well given the space constraints and available mounting points. If somebody wanted to remove the bumper, fabricate a mount, and do some customizing with a die grinder, I'm sure they could be made to work, but I didn't want to put that much work into it and sent them back.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:18 AM

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts
2006 R500
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Yeah, I guess the first gen LED bulbs were kinda sad. The design challenge was threefold: Get about 25W of LEDs in a small space, configure them so their total output matches a 3/8" long tungsten wire, and get the heat out of there so they last longer than a few hours. Such is life when you try to fit to prior design. I am sure designing headlights with LEDs in mind from the beginning is far more fruitful.

I don't understand what fog lights are supposed to do, exactly, although I understand the yellow color plays a role. I doubt the GL's "fog lights" are good examples of the art, but they make great low speed wide dispersal lights. Very helpful in deer country.

Don't mind telling you, it sure is annoying to not be able to run the high beams and fog lights simultaneously. If I want to pretend I'm a rally car driver I ought to be able.
Fog lights are meant to light up the ground right in front of the car in the case of fog/mist/other low visibility situation. They are not supposed to throw as far as the low beams, and they aren't meant to allow you to drive faster in low visibility either. By increasing the amount of foreground light, the road immediately in front of the car is lit up better and you are less affected by the glare of the low beams in fog. This is why fogs are useless in normal driving and high beams are the light of choice when in unlit areas with no cars in front. This is also why you aren't allowed to run both at the same time as their purpose are in direct conflict.

If you are looking for better low beam performance, the first step would be to retrofit 55 watt HIDs with true HID projectors. I prefer the wider width of the Mini D2S and FX-Rs over the intense hotspot of the Evos, plus I don't think Evos are rated to handle 55 watts. If you really need more after that, go with a quad projector retrofit. If you take this route, you should put the second pair of projectors on a separate switch so as to not overwhelm other drivers in normal driving. If you need flood lighting for off road driving, stick a giant LED lightbar in your grill.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:58 AM

GL 450 CDI
Originally Posted by Mikchek
Hi, Sorry don't have any pictures. Led's have come a ways since my posting. I hope you find something
Have a lovely day

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlamp upgrade advice and experience