Headlamp upgrade advice and experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by EWT
The sides are mostly where I can see the extra light with mine too. I tried to fit a set of Diode Dynamics SS3 fog lights into the space available once the stock lights were removed, but they were ever so slightly too tall to fit and trying to figure out a way to mount them was a challenge as well given the space constraints and available mounting points. If somebody wanted to remove the bumper, fabricate a mount, and do some customizing with a die grinder, I'm sure they could be made to work, but I didn't want to put that much work into it and sent them back.
It seems to me yellow LEDs with well designed reflectors could make excellent fog lights, though I'll admit I do not know what the color yellow has to do with it. Your vision is sharpest at about that color, but - I would think that would only make your view of the fog the sharpest. You have gained ... what exactly? Snowflakes would tend to blur; I know I see blue light horribly at night. Blue LED christmas lights make maddening little starburst shapes in my vision.

If the lights were down as low as possible, they'd go through as little fog as possible before hitting the road reflectors. The GL's "fog" lights are not very low.

Still, they make pretty good DRLs.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I have projectors with HID bulbs in the place of the traditional fogs. They work great as a driving light and illuminate the road low and wide without dazzling the other drivers.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
As promised before my GL's motor bit the s___, here are the LED headlights.

Low beams:

With high beams:

"Fog" only:

The fog and the low beams are the old 6500K, same maker, identical bulb except for mount hardware H11 vs H7. The high beams are the new ones, 6000K. I prefer that color. I think the new LEDs are more efficient (driven less hard), or they are wasting less energy in the resistor. These are a cylinder design, with 18 LEDs rather than two point-source modules. They're wicked bright, as you can see by the dimming of the dash lights (and the low beams), as the camera adjusted the exposure.

The camera's color temperature was set to "cloudy", which should be about the same as the eye's natural response.

Note the fog lights have about the same vertical cutoff as the low beams, but are less sharp and are much wider. Really don't want to use them at night with oncoming traffic.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 02-18-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:06 AM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
It seems to me yellow LEDs with well designed reflectors could make excellent fog lights, though I'll admit I do not know what the color yellow has to do with it. Your vision is sharpest at about that color, but - I would think that would only make your view of the fog the sharpest. You have gained ... what exactly? Snowflakes would tend to blur; I know I see blue light horribly at night. Blue LED christmas lights make maddening little starburst shapes in my vision.

If the lights were down as low as possible, they'd go through as little fog as possible before hitting the road reflectors. The GL's "fog" lights are not very low.

Still, they make pretty good DRLs.
Mostly gained more light to the side before making a turn. Lower color temps are better for snow/fog. The next lighting project will be functional though - projectors to replace the high beams.