Love my truck hate my seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 gl320cdi
Love my truck hate my seats

Looking for input

2008 gl320cdi. I have grey seats and honestly have never really liked them. But we recently bought a 2015 q5 with the sport package so sport seats. It really has me wanting to change esp since have a rip in my bottom bolster.

I am am guessing that the electronics won’t allow me to change out for newer seats. But was curious if I could swap seat cushions and seat backs and keep electronics. Would be nice to be able to wire in lumbar if possible. Looking online the newer models have much nicer seats.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by smiledr996s
Looking for input

2008 gl320cdi. I have grey seats and honestly have never really liked them. But we recently bought a 2015 q5 with the sport package so sport seats. It really has me wanting to change esp since have a rip in my bottom bolster.

I am am guessing that the electronics won’t allow me to change out for newer seats. But was curious if I could swap seat cushions and seat backs and keep electronics. Would be nice to be able to wire in lumbar if possible. Looking online the newer models have much nicer seats.
You mentioned the color... is it the color you don't like or do you think the seats, themselves, are uncomfortable. Obviously, the color has nothing to do with comfort. If it's a comfort thing, though, it's funny - I think the seats in mine are EXTREMELY comfortable - and I've had comments from friends on how comfortable they are. I don't know what kind of seats I have, though - always thought they were just the standard ones. But it's funny how subjective comfort can be!

Do you have the manual lumbar lever on the side of the seat?

FYI, tears can be fixed and be imperceptible... or awful close to it. Google for local vinyl/leather repair pros or ask some local dealers who they use as they likely sub this kind of stuff out.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:35 PM

2008 gl320cdi
Yes I like the color. I was not sure if newer years had the same. I have the manual lumbar on the side. I did not mention I have lower back issues and did not think too much of it until the this newer vehicle. I plan to keep a while so exploring options. But yes at least will have it reupholstered

It was nice in old days before all the electronic integration with computer models to be able to upgrade to something else but that was 80s and 90s. 😖

Old 05-27-2018, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
In case I wasn't clear, what I meant by "reparing the seats" is that they can repair the cut in the leather/mb tex/whatever w/o having to re-upholster. Have you thought about talking to a local upholsterer about adding support or rebuilding the foam to better suit your needs? There's a guy near mean that does this kind of thing and his work in nothing short of amazing - he works on high end collector cars, along with brand new cars. If you can find a guy like that, I'm sure he can make it more comfortable for you without having to mess with electronics. On the other hand, maybe you can find some used seats (some "optional" Merc seats) that fit you better?

Last edited by DennisG01; 05-27-2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: forgot the word "repair"
Old 05-27-2018, 08:01 PM

2008 gl320cdi
Used seats would be awesome. But I would want one from a later model Mercedes and I am sure would not be plug and play.

I had had thought about seeing what an upholstery shop could do.

Thank you for your input. Not going to happen soon do can repair the seat for now. Can you elaborate on the repair option
Old 05-27-2018, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
I'm not saying use these guys, but google for Dr. Vinyl - their website will probably do a better job explaining than me. They basically glue the tear back together and match the grain. As I mentioned above, I would chekc around for a local shop (they're usually mobile) - asking local car or boat dealerships who they use is a good source.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
One day I compared my GL seats with those in our then W211 E-class. The E seats were two (2) inches wider across the seat bottom. ( Gotta have a manly sized center console)

I think this is the main problem and besides the mushy brake pedal is the only complaint I’ve had with my GL ... only a problem on long drives, of course.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:21 PM

2008 gl320cdi
I found a few sites that had what looked to be a nice mechanical lumbar adjustment. Maybe that and better supportive foam I’d be satisfied. Of course cost pending ☹️
Old 06-06-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2004 E55
I don't see why you couldn't find a set of multi-contour seats out of a GL550 or even a GL63 to put in there, but then I would say you would need all 3 rows, because your diesel I am for sure has the mbtex and the 550 and 63s are all semi-aniline Leather. You might have to have your Computer coded for the multi-contour settings, I am not sure if the wiring harness to the seats is different. Basically with Star-DAS and enough willpower you can add almost any option that was available on any trim of your same vehicle.55.