GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 450 Air Suspension | Failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
GL 450 Air Suspension | Failure?

Hello, New to this group and wanted to double check what seems to be like a air strut replacement.

I own a 2012 GL 450 and it has taken care of my family for 5 years with no major issue! Until now...

Recently, only my front right suspension lowers all the way down to the wheel when I park. Sometimes when I just go to a red light, i feel it lower the the ground.
All other 3 seem to be at a decent height. Rarely both front wheels go down to the wheels. Here is the thing... I don't hear any leaks; engine is off and I'm placing my ear around the air strut for 2 minutes with no audible cues.

After reading a few threads where ppl had them happen to BOTH fronts, I assume I need to replace my front right strut as it seems to be the culprit (i'll replace both not just the one).
But...

1. Could it be electronic? The ECU is telling that one strut to lower due to the sensor or something? There is no failure warning on my dash; airmatic seems to be working fine and I don't hear any leaks on my front right air strut! Thats why it seems like an electrical or sensor issue.
2. Once I replace the air struts, is it plug and play? Do i need to reset ECU or something? What else needs to be done besides physically swapping out old with new strut?

Thank you for your time and replies!
Old 05-29-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
I am going to safely assumed the front right air bag is leaking but the left shock assembly is OK, and the compressor should be fine. My 2011 GL550 front shocks lasted til 161K miles and starting to fail. I replaced mine with Bilstein but others had success with Arnott.

John
Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 PM

GL 450
Hello Mr. John,

Today after my wife came home, the front right shock is now "normal" level along with the other 3 (several hours later it is still level). This is why I'm thinking it's really something with the ECU or sensors (electronic): 1. I don't ever hear any hissing or air leaking around the suspension. 2. It sporadically functions ok.

When I first noticed the front end acting up was when I jacked up the front to change out the brakes. After doing the front left, I lowered and lifted the front right, then I dropped it down. All front brakes changed and the both fronts were super low (slammed) to the ground; wheel/tire almost touching the fender liner. Ever since then, I noticed the SUV will lower the front end all the way down. Now, more recently, only the right side would lower down but not the left.

Is it possible that it's the ECU?

Thank you.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997 Turbo GT Silver/Cocoa (sold) 2009 C63 White/Black (sold) 2012 GL350 Pall/Black
I hear that if it is intermittent that the valve controller assembly could have gone bad.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:17 PM

GL 450
Hello,

So it's been about a week since I posted this and have been keeping an eye out on the front right air shock.

Like stated, it's kinda intermittent. 75% of the time, it's super low, 25% of the time it's at the normal level.
One day after driving it and walking away, I heard air hissing out of the front right and thought, yup, need to replace the shock as it has a leak. Well... I drive it home and it's holding air just fine!
Even today before going to work I looked at the SUV and it's at a normal air level, so how and why did I hear an "air leak" one time during these past months? It was a prominent noise that attracted me to listen closer.

So I'm wondering? Is it the valve controller thing or the air shock itself? It's just pricey to buy one thing and it's not the issue. Anybody have this specific issue?

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:49 PM

GL 450

His previous video shows the exact same issue. He drove the vehicle to his shop and it wasn't leaking; it was intermittent.

thanks for your help, youtube!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2007 GL450 , 2012 BMW 528i
if your air struts have not been replaced in a while, it is time. It is intermittent as it is beginning to crack. That's how it starts.
If you want to properly diagnose it to rule out valve body/ pressure distributor, you will have to use STAR or take it to an Indy / dealer.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
This comes up quite a bit on here and I'm sure you can search and find many threads about this. But the most likely answer to your 75/25% question is that it all depends on how the bag folds on itself. Sometimes the small hole will temporarily "seal itself". Spray some soapy water on the bag to help verify. Try raising the vehicle to help verify. Jack up the vehicle to help verify. But, eventually, it will get worse and possibly leave you stranded.