GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

08 gl450 airmatic valve block clicking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl450
08 gl450 airmatic valve block clicking

the valve block above the compressor is making a clicking noise and some lower tones every few seconds, like it is cycling, nonstop till the battery dies. removed air line from compressor that goes to valve block and when it cycles it lets a little air out, like a "psst", when the air line is connected with engine off after awhile the front end slowly lowers together. this is what's going on now.

before this clicking started... we had massive rain, stuck going through puddles, got home and heard the famous "psst" noise the airmatic compressor makes after getting out of vehicle, sounded different, blew out black water, removed fender liner and saw compressor intake tube once again broken from rubbing on fender liner, think it sucked in water, however with that and leaking rear air bags the compressor was shot, very noisy afterwards...

what's been done since compressor failed, front struts are a couple months old, bought new rear air bags, compressor and valve block, replaced all, put new tires on and it was perfect, drove around and not one problem, no codes were stored, all values, ride heights, and voltages read fine. a day later, battery was dead, bought new battery, reset everything and all seemed well after drive, going out to garage later i heard the clicking noise, blew it off till next day, still heard noise the next day, started it up, barely started, battery very low, charged it first night and did not charge up completely, on 12v 2amp, so decided to unplug the valve block, charged up fine and no battery drain, bought another new airmatic valve block and tried that, still same clicking noise, i removed drivers carpet and cover to airmatic computer and found nothing except a little water on the very bottom floor board, the computer sits up about 3 inches from bottom, also did notice water on passenger side floor board as well when i replaced the battery, didn't seem like enough water to cause problems but may have, water has been sucked out and completely dried, drain plugs removed to double check. airmatic computer looks water tight around unit and plugs. when i unplugged the airmatic computer plugs the clicking went away, plugged in and it clicks, cycling. there is nothing anywhere on this that i have found, any suggestions? sounds like the airmatic computer maybe? no blown fuses anywhere.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Mercedes GL450
Valve block draining battery

Originally Posted by cntrysthbst
the valve block above the compressor is making a clicking noise and some lower tones every few seconds, like it is cycling, nonstop till the battery dies. removed air line from compressor that goes to valve block and when it cycles it lets a little air out, like a "psst", when the air line is connected with engine off after awhile the front end slowly lowers together. this is what's going on now.

before this clicking started... we had massive rain, stuck going through puddles, got home and heard the famous "psst" noise the airmatic compressor makes after getting out of vehicle, sounded different, blew out black water, removed fender liner and saw compressor intake tube once again broken from rubbing on fender liner, think it sucked in water, however with that and leaking rear air bags the compressor was shot, very noisy afterwards...

what's been done since compressor failed, front struts are a couple months old, bought new rear air bags, compressor and valve block, replaced all, put new tires on and it was perfect, drove around and not one problem, no codes were stored, all values, ride heights, and voltages read fine. a day later, battery was dead, bought new battery, reset everything and all seemed well after drive, going out to garage later i heard the clicking noise, blew it off till next day, still heard noise the next day, started it up, barely started, battery very low, charged it first night and did not charge up completely, on 12v 2amp, so decided to unplug the valve block, charged up fine and no battery drain, bought another new airmatic valve block and tried that, still same clicking noise, i removed drivers carpet and cover to airmatic computer and found nothing except a little water on the very bottom floor board, the computer sits up about 3 inches from bottom, also did notice water on passenger side floor board as well when i replaced the battery, didn't seem like enough water to cause problems but may have, water has been sucked out and completely dried, drain plugs removed to double check. airmatic computer looks water tight around unit and plugs. when i unplugged the airmatic computer plugs the clicking went away, plugged in and it clicks, cycling. there is nothing anywhere on this that i have found, any suggestions? sounds like the airmatic computer maybe? no blown fuses anywhere.
My 07 GL450 has the same clicking sound in the valve block followed by a chiming sound every 5 seconds. This happens even after engine is turned off and therefore drains the battery during the overnight hours. I have checked for leaks and on the airbags and found none. I bought a new valve block and after installation it does the same.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Is the battery original? I've heard old batteries can cause a myriad of electrical gremlins a new one solves.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:48 PM

Mercedes GL450
Originally Posted by kombifan
Is the battery original? I've heard old batteries can cause a myriad of electrical gremlins a new one solves.
I replaced the battery with the same type that was on it for 2 yrs. Got it from Autozone. Also the auxiliary battery was replaced (got from ebay) ... But no change, I am not sure the battery from ebay is genuine. I will get one from the dealer and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLS450, 2013 GL450, RIP 2011 GL450 (totalled)
After a mechanic diagnosed my valve block to be faulty when it ended up actually being a leaking front strut with only 30k on it, my replacement valve block clicks significantly when I first hit unlock after car has been sitting. It also makes a slightly harmonic whistle noise (kind of like noise blowing across empty glass bottle) while clicking. No drained battery or other issues. Thinking it may because I got a valve block from China rather than the $500 German one. I can deal with clicking as long as no failure! Relay tested okay also. 2011 GL450
Old 09-18-2018, 10:01 PM

Mercedes GL450
Angry Mysterious battery drain - 2007 GL450

My 07 GL450 battery drains when parked overnight. I have to jump start it every morning. I started disconnecting the battery when I park for overnight and connecting it back in the morning. In one instance I disconnected the little wire that is also connected to the negative terminal. Of course, I had a the battery light (white) show on the dash but car starts and drives. With the little cable disconnected the battery does not drain off overnight anymore.
To add to my woes, the tailgate now also clicks to open but moves slights and stops. The motors sounds like it is running, just doesn't lift the gate.
Anybody with suggestions??
Old 03-12-2022, 02:38 AM

Mercedes GL320
Does anyone remember how they were able to solve this issue? My valve block clicks all night and in the morning the battery is dead. None of the tires are flat and the airbags are intact. I ordered a new valve block, as soon as I plugged it in it started to click. No sign of a leak. I would be very happy if you could share with me your experience and how you were able to fix this. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
Do the interior lights come on and go off with a door opening? Depending on settings. I have no idea why but MB have it so if you open a door the suspension tries to do a re level. Even if key out

You might have a bad switch on a door latch. Don’t have any specific experience but see if your interior lights are playing up too

any warning messages
Old 03-12-2022, 07:44 AM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
Going out on a limb here. Che k the electrical plugs to your valve block. There may be corrosion. Also trace the wiring as best you can (I don't know how well they may be hidden) for shorts or exposed wiring from rubbing against something they should not. The wiring gets brittle on ageing cars.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:02 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLS450, 2013 GL450, RIP 2011 GL450 (totalled)
Check your front SAM for water. That was culprit on mine.