GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Help with Error 111600 - Regeneration Aborted - 2012 GL350 - New NOX sensor installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLE 350, 2013 GL 450
Help with Error 111600 - Regeneration Aborted - 2012 GL350 - New NOX sensor installed

I have been having Adblue DPF issues of late and trying to get them all cleared out. Xentry suggested rear NOX sensor was faulty. I recently replaced, did the adaptation in Xentry recommended after replacement of NOX sensor, and cleared all related faults. Check Engine light turned off and I took for a drive. After driving about 30-40 minutes the check engine light came back on. Checking with Xentry I am now only getting 1 fault code: 111600 - Regeneration of the diesel particulate filter was aborted.

I am not seeing any other related errors. I did try clearing the error and took another drive. Same results - after 30-40 minutes the Check Engine light is back on and Xentry shows same 111600 error.

Checking status I show that Ash Content is 0, Load State is 6.50, Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor is 1044, Pressure Differential Sensor is 9, TWC Temp sensor 140.60 Celsius, Temp sensor upstream of DPF is 150.90 Celsius. (All readings taken on warm engine while parked and running).

Is there another adaptation I need to perform, or does anyone have any recommendations as what else I should be checking? I looked into trying to force a regeneration but the only options I can see in Xentry (with developer mode) say either that I can't run a regen if there is oil in the system, or that I don't need to force a regen and that the car will do it automatically. Is there another process or way to force a regeneration?

Last edited by ccrobin; 02-13-2019 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-26-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
I can't answer your questions directly with relation to this particular problem, but in researching which diagnostic tool I wanted to buy, one of the things that I had on the list was the ability to force a DPF regen. And the one that I ended up buying (Autel MS906TS) does have that capability. Usually an aborted regen is due to not driving far/long enough to complete the process. Highway driving is the best way to complete it, and city or stop/go driving is the worst way. You may want to take the car on a long highway drive and see if that helps.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by sak335
I can't answer your questions directly with relation to this particular problem, but in researching which diagnostic tool I wanted to buy, one of the things that I had on the list was the ability to force a DPF regen. And the one that I ended up buying (Autel MS906TS) does have that capability. Usually an aborted regen is due to not driving far/long enough to complete the process. Highway driving is the best way to complete it, and city or stop/go driving is the worst way. You may want to take the car on a long highway drive and see if that helps.
Sounds l I'll keep a plan. I've tried a few times but the weather has been so bad lately I keep running into stop and go traffic. I have another shot this weekend so I'll give it a go. Otherwise I'll try to find an Indy with an Autel. I'm surprised though that the Xentry tool can't force the regeneration.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
I was reading somewhere on a forum (not the GL but it was for a vehicle with the OM642) that on the highway it only takes like 20 miles to complete a regen, but in stop/go traffic it can take up to an hour. My initial thought was that in a normal week of commuting, I NEVER run the car for an hour at a time since my commute is only 10 miles, and I normally stop to pick up or drop off a kid at daycare. So I started leaving the car running when I was doing that, and I haven't seen that I've had an aborted attempt since then. Now, obviously I'm in the suburbs and not worried about somebody driving off with it, but it's still a risk that can't be done otherwise.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:21 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
force a regen and go for a long drive).your regen keeps getting interrupted and you need to let it happen. at least 30 minutes at operating temps and steady (highway) speeds are optimal
.. .
Old 02-27-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
New NOX sensor

Originally Posted by ccrobin
I have been having Adblue DPF issues of late and trying to get them all cleared out. Xentry suggested rear NOX sensor was faulty. I recently replaced, did the adaptation in Xentry recommended after replacement of NOX sensor, and cleared all related faults. Check Engine light turned off and I took for a drive. After driving about 30-40 minutes the check engine light came back on. Checking with Xentry I am now only getting 1 fault code: 111600 - Regeneration of the diesel particulate filter was aborted.

I am not seeing any other related errors. I did try clearing the error and took another drive. Same results - after 30-40 minutes the Check Engine light is back on and Xentry shows same 111600 error.

Checking status I show that Ash Content is 0, Load State is 6.50, Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor is 1044, Pressure Differential Sensor is 9, TWC Temp sensor 140.60 Celsius, Temp sensor upstream of DPF is 150.90 Celsius. (All readings taken on warm engine while parked and running).

Is there another adaptation I need to perform, or does anyone have any recommendations as what else I should be checking? I looked into trying to force a regeneration but the only options I can see in Xentry (with developer mode) say either that I can't run a regen if there is oil in the system, or that I don't need to force a regen and that the car will do it automatically. Is there another process or way to force a regeneration?
Keep in mind when you install a new Nox sensor(s) you have to "teach" it in via the Xentry system. The sensors have to be adapted to the car. Also the Xentry system can force a regeneration if you want to, however if a forced regen is requested the DAS will tell you to do a oil change as well.
The following users liked this post:
ccrobin (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 07:31 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom
DAS will tell you to do a oil change as well.
eh? it will ask you if dpf is full with oil and if it is you should not do a regen due to risk of fire.

forced regen is just that - instruct the car to force a regen at next start.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by KrustyKustom
Also the Xentry system can force a regeneration if you want to, however if a forced regen is requested the DAS will tell you to do a oil change as well.
Ah, I did see that setting and didn't realize that was for a forced regen. I didn't run it at the time as I had not changed the oil at that time. I did now however just change oil when I replace the oil filter housing last weekend. I have a good 2 hour freeway drive tomorrow so I'll try that to force the regen and post the results after the weekend. Thank you.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by ccrobin
Ah, I did see that setting and didn't realize that was for a forced regen. I didn't run it at the time as I had not changed the oil at that time. I did now however just change oil when I replace the oil filter housing last weekend. I have a good 2 hour freeway drive tomorrow so I'll try that to force the regen and post the results after the weekend. Thank you.
could you please inform us about this issue? Did your plan work? I have the exact fault code for my Mercedes GL 350 Bluetec.