GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Water intrusion, SAM corrosion, and steering column related issues

Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450 4matic
Water intrusion, SAM corrosion, and steering column related issues

Hey all, new to the forum - there's three questions at the end of the post, I promise. My 2007 X164 4Matic is having electrical issues after finding water under both front seats. I just bought it expecting there were mechanical issues (no start). When I got it home, found passenger rear window stuck down and no response when turning key. Put charge to the battery in order to get window back up, but then the driver rear window started geeking out, trying to roll up/down at same time. So I removed power, and that's when I saw the water in battery box. I pulled battery, disconnected the front SAM and removed it to inspect for visual damage. Found light corrosion and treated it, then reinstalled everything after cleaning out the water. Didn't solve the problem. Found service papers in glove box that said stealership recommended replacement of panoramic roof and rear SAM. Stood on bumper...sure enough rear pano roof panel is badly cracked, so I caulked it (temporarily) until I can find a replacement. Moving to driver's side footwell, I peeled back carpet to find water there, too. Out went the seat, pulled ALL electronics boxes and opened them up for inspection. The amplifier looks like it took the worst of it. It looks like the bottom 4pins of the lowest connector has been submerged for some time.

I cleaned corrosion from circuit boards and reinstalled all of the parts. That did the trick. All windows rolled up, car starts/runs/drives, and all fuses are good, with the following issues still remaining: No hi-beams, turn signals, backup camera, horn, cruise, wipers (front/back), pass. rear foglight, SRS Right Front, SRS Left Front, tailgate will only open/close manually. Before i tear into the steering wheel (most of the remaining issues seem to point to the SCM), I wanted to get your take on this.

Which of these gripes go through which SAM? Is there additional electronics under front passenger's feet? Lastly, are there any relays/circuit breakers that I should be looking for first?
Old 02-15-2019, 01:29 PM

GL450 4matic
I am using a MaxiCom MK808 diagnostics tool. It keeps displaying CAN communication code D640 when I run the autodiagnostics feature, but it won't communicate when I try to manually run diagnostics. Gut tells me it's more of a tool issue than a vehicle issue. I have an overdue update that I've been putting off. Planning to run the update and retry. Could the communications issue stem from the battery being discharged for a couple months, and maybe one or both SAMs needs reprogramming?
Old 02-16-2019, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 485 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Betty_Benz
I am using a MaxiCom MK808 diagnostics tool. It keeps displaying CAN communication code D640 when I run the autodiagnostics feature, but it won't communicate when I try to manually run diagnostics. Gut tells me it's more of a tool issue than a vehicle issue. I have an overdue update that I've been putting off. Planning to run the update and retry. Could the communications issue stem from the battery being discharged for a couple months, and maybe one or both SAMs needs reprogramming?
Dead or dying battery will make sensors and control units throw a lot of codes...in your situation this looks to be the cheapest option to sort the problems. Water intrusion through the cabin air filter box or the d-pillar through a leaky pano sunroof will cause strange behaviors in your GL. Check your cabin air filter box for a clogged drain. Check your d-pillar for a leaky sunroof or tail light.
Hopefully you caught it early on and the corrosion damage to the exposed units was kept to a minimum, and is survivable.

Recommend you change battery, dry the footwells and spare tire wells out, fix any leaks and tell us how it goes.
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (09-25-2020)
Old 02-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Im having the same exact issues as you, at first i thought it was battery problem so i went and replaced both batteries under passenger seat & that didnt fix it then i checked under driver seat and found water dried it all out and the radio started working again (sound) but still nothing of the other stuff you mentioned, i was told to check the other module that sits in front of the amp the central gateway controll module its a little box with only 2 plugs, i opened it up and found corrosion and a little burnt spot, that module is what makes the front and rear sam work & also makes your scanner comunicate with alot of other modules when it goes bad you loose alot of functions
Old 02-17-2019, 07:41 PM

GL450
I shipped the central gateway control module to modulegods.com they will do a diagnostic test on it and let me know if thats the problem, & if possible repair it and ship it back to me and it will be just plug and play and should all go back to normal i was told, should be getting a response midweek this week
Old 02-17-2019, 07:47 PM

GL450
Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 PM

GL450
Its not your tool that doesnt work its that module that doesnt let you comunicate with all the other modules and gives you all the symptoms we are both experiencing srs, no horn, wipers, high beams, sos, teleaid, blinkers , ect ect
Old 02-17-2019, 08:10 PM

GL450
Its not your tool that doesnt work its that module that doesnt let you comunicate with all the other modules and gives you all the symptoms we are both experiencing srs, no horn, wipers, high beams, sos, teleaid, blinkers , ect ect
Old 02-17-2019, 08:12 PM

GL450
Old 02-18-2019, 12:16 PM

GL450 4matic
Cabin air filter drains are clear. Rear pano is the source of the water, as mentioned in my original post. I'll charge up the battery, but I'm beginning to lean towards Central Gateway Controller. I read a post that mentioned I might need to disconnect battery for some time and reconnect again...maybe the CGW is just glitching causing no communication w/the front & rear SAM?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:25 PM

GL450 4matic
Originally Posted by Miked@1970
Thanks Mike! I think you're on the money! Let me know what happens.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:38 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
...sure enough rear pano roof panel is badly cracked, so I caulked it (temporarily) until I can find a replacement.
Caulked it? Interesting - how? With a windshield sealant (eg. Permatex windshield sealant)?

Would it be possible for you to post a couple of pics of where you caulked?

I recently noticed pools of water in my front footwells as well as the battery compartment. Research indicates clogged sunroof/panoroof drains and/or clogged windshield rain drains. I've cleared and verified proper drainage, but I am still getting water in the footwells after it rains or when snow melts (vehicle parked facing downhill 10 degrees or so).

I am currently driving with the front carpets removed to observe the water ingress. The front footwells appear dry until I hit the breaks at low speed which causes water to move into the footwells; so I am guessing the water is coming from somewhere in the back. The spare tire area is dry and does not show obvious signs of water pooling.

I am curious as what areas you caulked. I may be able to address my issue in a similar fashion.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:35 AM

GL450 4matic

Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
Caulked it? Interesting - how? With a windshield sealant (eg. Permatex windshield sealant)?

Would it be possible for you to post a couple of pics of where you caulked?

I recently noticed pools of water in my front footwells as well as the battery compartment. Research indicates clogged sunroof/panoroof drains and/or clogged windshield rain drains. I've cleared and verified proper drainage, but I am still getting water in the footwells after it rains or when snow melts (vehicle parked facing downhill 10 degrees or so).

I am currently driving with the front carpets removed to observe the water ingress. The front footwells appear dry until I hit the breaks at low speed which causes water to move into the footwells; so I am guessing the water is coming from somewhere in the back. The spare tire area is dry and does not show obvious signs of water pooling.

I am curious as what areas you caulked. I may be able to address my issue in a similar fashion.
Just used standard clear household silicone window caulk from the hardware store. TEMPORARY fix to stop the waterfall until I replace the panel. Here's the before pic...I sealed the obvious cracks visible when standing on the rear bumper or the rear tire/pulling myself up using the roof rack.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 AM

GL450 4matic
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram

Aside from the pano roof cracking, here are other common areas to check:

1) Cabin Air Filter housing drain can be plugged up causing water to spill over cabin air filter
2) Sunroof drains can be clogged. Be careful when trying to root them out. Don't use sharp objects that will poke holes in drain tubes
3) Rear tail light seals can deteriorate and allow water intrusion around rear SAM area. Pull rear spare and trim to see if that area is full of water. Feel the white foam padding around rear SAM and same one opposite (driver's side) corner to see if it is wet.

That's about all I know of.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:33 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Wow! That's a serious crack. Without pics I had imagined you were referring to something around the perimeter of the Pano. Thanks.

Thanks for the tips also. I've done 1 and 2, and everything there looks good. I'll inspect the tail lights, and maybe remove the 'A' pillar lining to inspect the drain tube, but, as I mentioned, the water appears to be entering from the back.

If by chance anyone has a link to a 'roof drain' diagram for the 2007 x164, please post it. I watched a video for removing the headliner thinking that would be the way to check the drains, but, oi, doesn't look like something I want to do.

The following 2 users liked this post by Miguk_Saram:
machadosl (02-20-2019), Yup497 (09-25-2020)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:42 PM

GL450
Thanks Mike! I think you're on the money! Let me know what happens.
it did turn out to be the gateway module now its all back to normal
Old 07-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GL350
I have a DTC for the CGW on my GL350 (9118 - Control module CGW is not sending any data), but I cant find much on it. Its a stored code, and not listed as current. I am also getting codes that may or may not be related in both the Common Rail module, and SCR module.

Common Rail;
134300, and 163400 - No CAN message was received from the control unit N1 8/5 (AdBlue control unit) 15E100 - CAN controller: CAN bus OFF, 134800 No CAN message received from component NOx sensor downstream of SCR catalytic converter, 134900 No CAN message received from component NOx sensor upstream of SCR catalytic converter.

SCR;
C10031 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C10087 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C10029 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C1001F - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C10081 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C10039 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction.

I also have intermittent rear door issues where it wont close, but I have read there is a common pinched wire issue. I do have a code associated with that;
988613 (Stored & Current) Contact strip 1 for anti-pinch protection has a malfunction. There is an open circuit.

Would you think this is related to the CGW module?
I haven't looked at the module itself to check for corrosion, is it located near the steering column?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GL350
Originally Posted by Miked@1970
it did turn out to be the gateway module now its all back to normal
May I ask what that service ended up costing you? I think I may send mine in to be on the safe side. Thanks!