GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Gl450 air suspension confusion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl50450
Gl450 air suspension confusion

Just bought a 2010 gl450. It does not have the setting for sport/comfort ride but does have the button to raise the suspension. If it makes any difference it seems to have a trailer package with maybe a class 4 hitch and factory wire harness. I never have seen the rear suspension
lower, don’t know if it’s supposed to or not, that is one question. Majority of the time the front end is lowered to look like a low rider. If I start the MB and push the button to raise the car the front will rise with the red light blinking. Once raised if I shut it off it will stay raised. When I start it the red light will be on until I do about 40mph then the light goes out and when I park, the front is lowered again. It does not seem to come up by itself until I press that button. Is that normal? Am I supposed to constantly push that button?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by 10MBgl450
Just bought a 2010 gl450. It does not have the setting for sport/comfort ride but does have the button to raise the suspension. If it makes any difference it seems to have a trailer package with maybe a class 4 hitch and factory wire harness. I never have seen the rear suspension
lower, don’t know if it’s supposed to or not, that is one question. Majority of the time the front end is lowered to look like a low rider. If I start the MB and push the button to raise the car the front will rise with the red light blinking. Once raised if I shut it off it will stay raised. When I start it the red light will be on until I do about 40mph then the light goes out and when I park, the front is lowered again. It does not seem to come up by itself until I press that button. Is that normal? Am I supposed to constantly push that button?
Nope!

When you push the button to raise the suspension th e car goes into raised mode for off road driving.
Not very comfortable.

If your car in normal mode is always slammed, you most likely have a leak. Look into replacing the front suspension right away. Have the dealer you bought it from pay for it. Do not delay. You will damage your compressor driving on a leaking strut.
You havent done your due diligence if you bought it like this, but yiu can argue it is unacceptable that the dealer sold it to you in this state. Have them fix the issue or refund your purchase.

If no luck that route, budget 800$ for parts for front suspension and read all the threads to diy the front suspension. It's quite easy if youre handy. Stick with arnott or Bilstein from fcp euro for lifetime warranty protection.

Let us know how you progress
The following users liked this post:
10MBgl450 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 275 Likes on 241 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Trailer package makes no difference.

You can read up on the operation of the system and auto lowering at 'highway' speeds in the manual - but that part is normal.

However, what doesn't sound normal is the part where the front looks like a low rider. From your description, that DOES NOT sound normal and you may have a leak in the front bags that is only evident at certain levels/heights. IF that's the case, and you continue driving, you will be overworking the compressor and will soon need to replace that, as well as the bags/struts. I suggest you get it checked out at an MB dealership or an Indy with the proper STAR computer diagnosis system.

On the flip side, the vehicle does have a somewhat aggressive stance so it could be seen as having the front slightly lower than the front - but the car should level, overall. Measure the distance from the ground to each wheel well and then raise the vehicle, re-measure and compare. Post a couple pics of the vehicle in both the normal and raised settings - we should be able to tell you from that if it appears normal. Your 'low rider' interpretation may be spot on, or it could just be your opinion as that's a subjective analysis.
10MBgl450 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 05:58 PM

Gl50450

Lowered

Lowered

Lowered

Same as previous but raised

Raised

Raised
Hope I post pic’s i right order. Taking these pic’s it seems when lowered, the right front is lower than the left front.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From the pictures you posted, your front right strut looks blown/leaking.

You have a normal 450 with chrome 550 wheels correct?
I would replace the front right strut (if low on cash) or both it they are both original soon.
Replacing both prevents you having to replace that one a couple of months from now (they usually perish quick after another).
Old 03-20-2019, 09:00 PM

Gl50450
Originally Posted by kombifan
From the pictures you posted, your front right strut looks blown/leaking.

You have a normal 450 with chrome 550 wheels correct?
I would replace the front right strut (if low on cash) or both it they are both original soon.
Replacing both prevents you having to replace that one a couple of months from now (they usually perish quick after another).
The wheels are 21” is all I know and the Benz has 68000 miles. Once pumped up or raised it stays up until I drive. Sometimes I have seen the front end rise after stopping at a red light and maybe it’s my imagination but my community has speed 3 speed bumps before I pull into my driveway, and a couple of times when I took it real slow the front end was up. I thank you for reply and comments.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Ditto what Kombi said about the front right. Unless it's just the angle of the picture, that side looks way low. It would probably be easier to tell if the pics where a straight-on side shot.

"Once pumped up or raised it stays up until I drive" What happens overnight if it's in the normal ride position? Compare that to when you first park the vehicle. But so far, all signs are leading towards a blown right front bag. Bags can leak, in the beginning, at only certain ride heights and not others. It will get worse. Fix sooner rather than later and maybe save your compressor, though.

Last edited by DennisG01; 03-20-2019 at 11:24 PM.
10MBgl450 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DennisG01
Ditto what Kombi said about the front right. Unless it's just the angle of the picture, that side looks way low. It would probably be easier to tell if the pics where a straight-on side shot.

"Once pumped up or raised it stays up until I drive" What happens overnight if it's in the normal ride position? Compare to that to when you first park the vehicle. But so far, all signs are leading towards a blown right front bag. Bags can leak, in the beginning, at only certain ride heights and not others. It will get worse. Fix sooner rather than later and maybe save your compressor, though.
+1

dont bother replacing just the airbag. Replace the whole strut unit and save yourself some time and frustration.
10MBgl450 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:08 PM

Gl50450
Update, just came from a foreign car repair shop and they said both front air struts needs replacement at, $1,355.95 each plus 5-6 hours labor at $632.50. I was spending the winter in Florida but just found out our dog has cancer, so making the trip back to Toledo Ohio 6 weeks early. Think I will shop around for a better deal. Kinda have to wonder if they were trying to gouge me for my age. (Closing in on 70). Thanks for all help and replies.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update, just came from a foreign car repair shop and they said both front air struts needs replacement at, $1,355.95 each plus 5-6 hours labor at $632.50. I was spending the winter in Florida but just found out our dog has cancer, so making the trip back to Toledo Ohio 6 weeks early. Think I will shop around for a better deal. Kinda have to wonder if they were trying to gouge me for my age. (Closing in on 70). Thanks for all help and replies.
Is that labor for both sides?

Yes price gouging you. I'm very sorry to hear that sir. I do apologise for their behaviour.

I would buy your own parts and have them do it. 632 of labor should be enough for both sides

The original Bilstein strut is only 350. The arnott with lifetime warranty 300.

If you can spare a couple days to get this fixed and order these parts asap you will save your compressor. Another 400$ part.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion,strut,7584

Try calling other indy for labor quotes and try even calling a local mb dealership for a labor quote for the two front struts. Explain that you just purchased the car and am low on funds and am more than willing to bring your own parts.

Last edited by kombifan; 03-22-2019 at 12:24 PM.
10MBgl450 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Wow! That's an absolutely horrible price. Even the labor time is on the high side. I think I spent about 2-3 hours doing one side - but that was the first time I had ever done it. If you go to Arnott's website (excellent aftermarket company for this... lifetime guarantee), you can find the pricing and even a how-to video. Granted, your shop is probably using an MB part, but even that sounds really high. The reason I mention the how-to video is that it's worthwhile to take a look to see how basic of a repair this is and that ANY decent mechanic can do it (I'm not a mechanic and I did it!). There are no special tools needed. And, yes, definitely find another shop. Sorry to hear 'bout your friend.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450

They're ripping you off. I replaced all four air bags on my 2012 GL450. The rear is especially quick and easy and took me only 30 mins each. I didn't even bother to remove the rear tire. The front replacement took 50 mins each and very straight forward. Keep in mind I had all the tools and watched this video on Strutmasters first: https://www.strutmasters.com/videos/...rn=productpage Because the video is for a coil spring conversion there's a few steps not included in the video, like how to remove the old air bag, but that's really quick and easy to.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:49 PM

Gl50450
Still not fixed

Originally Posted by StephenPage

They're ripping you off. I replaced all four air bags on my 2012 GL450. The rear is especially quick and easy and took me only 30 mins each. I didn't even bother to remove the rear tire. The front replacement took 50 mins each and very straight forward. Keep in mind I had all the tools and watched this video on Strutmasters first: https://www.strutmasters.com/videos/...rn=productpage Because the video is for a coil spring conversion there's a few steps not included in the video, like how to remove the old air bag, but that's really quick and easy to.
I had to drive my gl 450 from Florida back to Toledo Ohio cause we found out our dog has cancer. I limped the car all the way with not much problem but the right front did do a lot of bouncing. After my dogs surgery on Friday I will take it to a few shops. What happen now is the right front is sagged and the red light is on the console button and I have a malfunction warning on the dash. I don’t have the tools, or the smarts, to do it myself. In talking to one shop without looking at the vehicle, he suspected a sensor but that was before this malfunction cropped up. I suspected the previous owner knew about this so I contacted the Mercedes dealer where he had it serviced just before trading it in and they told me it was in for an oil change and they replaced the radiator and no indication of a suspension problem. Perhaps with that fix they knock off a wire or whatever? Will try to update the end result.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had to drive my gl 450 from Florida back to Toledo Ohio cause we found out our dog has cancer. I limped the car all the way with not much problem but the right front did do a lot of bouncing. After my dogs surgery on Friday I will take it to a few shops. What happen now is the right front is sagged and the red light is on the console button and I have a malfunction warning on the dash. I don’t have the tools, or the smarts, to do it myself. In talking to one shop without looking at the vehicle, he suspected a sensor but that was before this malfunction cropped up. I suspected the previous owner knew about this so I contacted the Mercedes dealer where he had it serviced just before trading it in and they told me it was in for an oil change and they replaced the radiator and no indication of a suspension problem. Perhaps with that fix they knock off a wire or whatever? Will try to update the end result.
It's not a wire or a sensor.
Try to avoid shops that give wild explanations.

Your strut is leaking and most likely caused the compressor to burn out, hence the warning.

I would try to find labour quotes for strut replacement in your area and order the parts yourself. Youll save yourself the markup by doing that. If you were in dc j would help you.

https://www.hastysautorepair.com/Tol...z-repairs.html

http://www.alliedmotorworks.com/merc...--service.html

Last edited by kombifan; 03-29-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:41 AM

Gl50450
While dog was in surgery went to a number of shops. No one wanted to touch it other than a Mercedes dealer. I was steered towards a foreign car repair shop near me and he will work on it. It will probably be a week or so before I will take it to him. I really appreciate the offer to work on it.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you try calling the two shops I posted?

Hope everything went well with the pup.

Last edited by kombifan; 03-30-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:59 AM

Gl50450
Originally Posted by kombifan
Did you try calling the two shops I posted?

Hope everything went well with the pup.
I went to Allied yesterday and they came highly recommended. I still may stop into the other one.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:36 PM

Gl50450
Last entry, right bag was blown out (should of taken a picture). Both sides replaced with Arnott parts, compressor ok, relay replaced along with the sway bar parts. Parts, labor, tax and etc little over $2000. Its all good now.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yay! That's great! Glad to hear it is all sorted!