Removing adjustable/adaptive shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
Removing adjustable/adaptive shock absorbers

I am new to X164 but have played with w164 for a while

I have 2 normal suspensions ML (Daughter and Wife) but now I have a new to me airmatic (bought at auction so ironing out the bugs still).

One of the rear shockies is shot (totally oily and wallows)

I replaced the rear shockies on one of the other (normal) ML's a few years back with Monroe D8081 (by memory) but it only has normal (not adjustable) shockies

I am happy with the ride etc on that ML , and they are only about $160 AUS a pair, versus $2000 a pair for adjustable from Merc.

I have not found another aftermarket supplier here in Australia (I go on to Arnott in USA but they say not available for Australia, I can't even get a price) - EBAY have Chinese ones but I don't know if I am that brave..

If I change out the adjustable for non adjustable (Monroe D8081 etc) will I get an error code/warning on the dash? Will the front shockies still be adjustable? (I figure I am stuck with the fronts as the airbag is on the strut)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by wannawagon
I am new to X164 but have played with w164 for a while

I have 2 normal suspensions ML (Daughter and Wife) but now I have a new to me airmatic (bought at auction so ironing out the bugs still).

One of the rear shockies is shot (totally oily and wallows)

I replaced the rear shockies on one of the other (normal) ML's a few years back with Monroe D8081 (by memory) but it only has normal (not adjustable) shockies

I am happy with the ride etc on that ML , and they are only about $160 AUS a pair, versus $2000 a pair for adjustable from Merc.

I have not found another aftermarket supplier here in Australia (I go on to Arnott in USA but they say not available for Australia, I can't even get a price) - EBAY have Chinese ones but I don't know if I am that brave..

If I change out the adjustable for non adjustable (Monroe D8081 etc) will I get an error code/warning on the dash? Will the front shockies still be adjustable? (I figure I am stuck with the fronts as the airbag is on the strut)
.like I said in your post on the w164 forum. Rockauto ships to Australia.

I have helped a different forum member who purchased from rockauto from Australia and it worked out great..
Shipping is only 36$. So just order the spec ads shocks.

And don't post in multiple forums if you don't intend on replying.

Yes you will get an error. The system will not work as designed.
Arnott sells a module that cancels it out.

Ads shock is 300$ each. Why compromise the original ride quality of the vehicle?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:13 PM

Thanks mate - not problem - the only reason I reposted was that was advice from Maj Dundee, saying I should have posted it here. (seeing it is a GL)

I was really after seeing if car will throw errors and it appears it will so thankyou for that

Thankyou for your suggestion of rockauto - way cheaper than MB at $400 au (each) with $37 postage.

The government here just changed the import laws - previously it was anything over $1000 but I have to see what they have changed it to
Old 04-15-2019, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Righto!

Bilstein is the original mb shock. Arnott uses a remanufactured or new shock based on the part number.

You might want to look into ordering the rear air spring too if you suspect they have never been replaced.
They're cheap insurance.

All 4 corners wil have to be replaced at some point if original but then at least you'll know everything is covered for the rear. Diy is surprisingly easy I hear for the springs.
The following users liked this post:
wannawagon (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by kombifan
Righto!

Bilstein is the original mb shock. Arnott uses a remanufactured or new shock based on the part number.

You might want to look into ordering the rear air spring too if you suspect they have never been replaced.
They're cheap insurance.

All 4 corners wil have to be replaced at some point if original but then at least you'll know everything is covered for the rear. Diy is surprisingly easy I hear for the springs.
Thanks for that - I have actually just got the rear airsprings - they weren't too bad here - Hopefully they will be easy - it certaintly looks it - I suspect the rear right (same corner as the shocky) is leaking

Thanks also for explaining the arnott situation - I tried a local shocky rebuilder here but he said he couldn't do MB ones.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for that - I have actually just got the rear airsprings - they weren't too bad here - Hopefully they will be easy - it certaintly looks it - I suspect the rear right (same corner as the shocky) is leaking

Thanks also for explaining the arnott situation - I tried a local shocky rebuilder here but he said he couldn't do MB ones.
So if you look at the parts catalog on rockauto you'll see 2 ads arnott struts and 1 Bilstein ads strut.
1 arnott has a core charge one doesn't. It's cheaper for you probably to get the one without the core charge as return shipping is a killer. Youll have to compare on arnott site as to which part number corresponds to which though.
That being said, if arnott isnt honoring the warranty regardless...I'd prefer Bilstein. It's the orifjnal part and even they have a 2 year warranty, and I imagine they might have a local footprint.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mate?

Did you decide which ones to order?
Old 04-17-2019, 04:59 PM

I have stuck with Bilstein, (actually a MB) , I actually found one here for $505 AUS delivered - (which is exactly the same as Rock) - it is a one off where someone bought it but didn't install and has gone to a liquidator and this bloke ended up with it.

The passenger side (which normally goes first here as it gets the potholes on the side of the road) looks healthy so I am hoping the previous owner replaced it.

The previous owner has also replaced the front left strut - with an arnott - I was thinking on seeing how the rear passenger side goes and if needed order one bilstein rear, and an arnott front so they will be the same all round.

Hope I don't need a warranty claim in any case as it would be hard
Old 04-17-2019, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have stuck with Bilstein, (actually a MB) , I actually found one here for $505 AUS delivered - (which is exactly the same as Rock) - it is a one off where someone bought it but didn't install and has gone to a liquidator and this bloke ended up with it.

The passenger side (which normally goes first here as it gets the potholes on the side of the road) looks healthy so I am hoping the previous owner replaced it.

The previous owner has also replaced the front left strut - with an arnott - I was thinking on seeing how the rear passenger side goes and if needed order one bilstein rear, and an arnott front so they will be the same all round.

Hope I don't need a warranty claim in any case as it would be hard
Is that 500$ for a rear shock? That doesn't sound right
Ah...I see that it's almost the same when converting currencies.

Tbh sounds slightly dubious. I do hope it works out.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:23 PM

FINGERS CROSSED
Old 04-17-2019, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

🤞