GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL550 - BLIS failure disables vehicle - SOLVED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL550
GL550 - BLIS failure disables vehicle - SOLVED

This past Sunday evening, my wife called me to the garage to look at her 2011 GL550. There was a beeping noise and the instrument panel was flashing red displaying "Drive to workshop without changing gear." There were some other errors that cycled through including Airmatic failure, Tire Pressure Monitor failure, and Blind Spot Assist Inoperative. Of course, the vehicle wouldn't start, and even after hitting the R button to silence the alarm, the alarm would start up again after a few minutes. I searched the forums, and the results were depressing...mostly discussing ISM failure. I tried to scan with my simple OBD2 scanner, but it wouldn't connect.

The next day, I grabbed my Maxidas DS708 from my shop. The DS708 scans each of the roughly two dozen modules in the vehicle and reported back about seven pages of codes. The most telling came from the insrument cluster module, which showed codes related to being unable to communicate with several other modules. I pulled up a schematic of the modules and how they connect to each CAN bus from the maintenance manual and realized that my scanner had not reported anything (OK or codes) from modules connected to the CAN C (interior) bus.

I'm an electrical engineer, and have a background in computer networks and data busses. Occasionally a device will fail in such a way that it will block communications on the rest of the network it's connected to. While I've never had to deal with the CAN bus before, the idea was familiar from other systems I've worked with. I suspected that one of the modules connected to the CAN C bus had failed and did so in a way that prevented communication on the bus. The top of my list of suspects were the blind spot assist modules. We had been getting intermittent errors on the display for weeks about the blind spot system being inoperative. I was aware that the system modules are exposed to the environment and have a history of failure due to moisture. It had rained for several days prior to the ultimate failure of the system, and the vehicle was operated in wet conditions.

The wiring information in the maintenance manual is excellent. I've worked with hundreds of different wiring diagram manuals (I mostly work on large aircraft avionics and electrical systems), and the Mercedes manual in that regard is one of the best and easiest to work with in my experience. I quickly located the plug providing power and CAN bus connection to the BLIS modules and disconnected it. The vehicle came back to life. I had planned on just disconnecting from the CAN bus, but the connector for that was too far forward and would have required removal of the left side panel for access...I hate working with trim. The power plug was right behind where the first aid kit is on the left side of the trunk and was most easily found by tracing the line from the bulkhead penetration going to the rear bumper. It's bundled up with the connector for the ParkTronic System. I was going to pull the fuse for the BLIS as well, since I don't like power on exposed pins, but the fuse also powers the wipers and we kind-of need those. I coded the BLIS out of the CGW (central gateway module) using my scanner so we wouldn't get the inoperative messages on the display. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to turn off the amber lights on the mirrors. The manual, unfortunately, seems to have poor coverage of the BLIS option.

I can only imagine how much this would have cost had I gone to the dealer with it, and I'm exceptionally fortunate that it flaked out at home and not while my wife and our three young kids were on the road somewhere. Our dealer is about 50 miles from home, and with the transmission locked in park it would have had to be dragged (or they could have used that freewheel device). With the tow and the hours of diagnostics, I'm certain I recovered the cost of my scanner and manual software (both bought on eBay, the scanner for about $500, and the software for under $20). Hopefully this post will help someone else in a similar situation.

Last edited by jennit; 05-10-2019 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Correcting two typos.
The following 2 users liked this post by jennit:
JLULU (08-01-2022), machadosl (07-15-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I basically follow your post and it’s a good one, but you’ve introduced the acronym BLIS without defining it.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 GL550, 2016 C300, 2005 Mustang
Originally Posted by jennit
This past Sunday evening, my wife called me to the garage to look at her 2011 GL550. There was a beeping noise and the instrument panel was flashing red displaying "Drive to workshop without changing gear." There were some other errors that cycled through including Airmatic failure, Tire Pressure Monitor failure, and Blind Spot Assist Inoperative. Of course, the vehicle wouldn't start, and even after hitting the R button to silence the alarm, the alarm would start up again after a few minutes. I searched the forums, and the results were depressing...mostly discussing ISM failure. I tried to scan with my simple OBD2 scanner, but it wouldn't connect.

The next day, I grabbed my Maxidas DS708 from my shop. The DS708 scans each of the roughly two dozen modules in the vehicle and reported back about seven pages of codes. The most telling came from the insrument cluster module, which showed codes related to being unable to communicate with several other modules. I pulled up a schematic of the modules and how they connect to each CAN bus from the maintenance manual and realized that my scanner had not reported anything (OK or codes) from modules connected to the CAN C (interior) bus.

I'm an electrical engineer, and have a background in computer networks and data busses. Occasionally a device will fail in such a way that it will block communications on the rest of the network it's connected to. While I've never had to deal with the CAN bus before, the idea was familiar from other systems I've worked with. I suspected that one of the modules connected to the CAN C bus had failed and did so in a way that prevented communication on the bus. The top of my list of suspects were the blind spot assist modules. We had been getting intermittent errors on the display for weeks about the blind spot system being inoperative. I was aware that the system modules are exposed to the environment and have a history of failure due to moisture. It had rained for several days prior to the ultimate failure of the system, and the vehicle was operated in wet conditions.

The wiring information in the maintenance manual is excellent. I've worked with hundreds of different wiring diagram manuals (I mostly work on large aircraft avionics and electrical systems), and the Mercedes manual in that regard is one of the best and easiest to work with in my experience. I quickly located the plug providing power and CAN bus connection to the BLIS modules and disconnected it. The vehicle came back to life. I had planned on just disconnecting from the CAN bus, but the connector for that was too far forward and would have required removal of the left side panel for access...I hate working with trim. The power plug was right behind where the first aid kit is on the left side of the trunk and was most easily found by tracing the line from the bulkhead penetration going to the rear bumper. It's bundled up with the connector for the TPMS. I was going to pull the fuse for the BLIS as well, since I don't like power on exposed pins, but the fuse also powers the wipers and we kind-of need those. I coded the BLIS out of the CGW (common gateway module) using my scanner so we wouldn't get the inoperative messages on the display. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to turn off the amber lights on the mirrors. The manual, unfortunately, seems to have poor coverage of the BLIS option.

I can only imagine how much this would have cost had I gone to the dealer with it, and I'm exceptionally fortunate that it flaked out at home and not while my wife and our three young kids were on the road somewhere. Our dealer is about 50 miles from home, and with the transmission locked in park it would have had to be dragged (or they could have used that freewheel device). With the tow and the hours of diagnostics, I'm certain I recovered the cost of my scanner and manual software (both bought on eBay, the scanner for about $500, and the software for under $20). Hopefully this post will help someone else in a similar situation.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Where is the TPMS connector? I recently received a Tire Pressure monitor inoperative message. Had tire shop check TPMS and all were reset at the tires, wondering if I need to reset the GL's system/receiver.
Also, which scanner did you buy?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:06 PM

2011 GL550
Originally Posted by lkchris
I basically follow your post and it’s a good one, but you’ve introduced the acronym BLIS without defining it.
My apologies...not defining acronyms is one of my pet peeves about manuals and other technical documents. I suppose I assumed it was a more well-known abbreviation than it is. BLIS is short for BLind spot Indication System. MB's official name for the system appears to be Blind Spot Assist.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:39 PM

2011 GL550
Originally Posted by JesusV
Thank you for sharing your experience! Where is the TPMS connector? I recently received a Tire Pressure monitor inoperative message. Had tire shop check TPMS and all were reset at the tires, wondering if I need to reset the GL's system/receiver.
Also, which scanner did you buy?
My mistake...too many options. I was writing from memory and replaced PTS (ParkTronic System) with TPMS. The connector bundled with the Blind Spot system was for the Parktronic. The scanner I got was an Autel MaxiDAS DS708.
The following users liked this post:
JesusV (05-10-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:47 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Good job. But I believe you have other problems. Give it some time and report back
Old 07-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GL350
I have a DTC for the CGW on my GL350 (9118 - Control module CGW is not sending any data), but I cant find much on it. Its a stored code, and not listed as current. I am also getting codes that may or may not be related in both the Common Rail module, and SCR module.

Common Rail;
134300, and 163400 - No CAN message was received from the control unit N1 8/5 (AdBlue control unit) 15E100 - CAN controller: CAN bus OFF, 134800 No CAN message received from component NOx sensor downstream of SCR catalytic converter, 134900 No CAN message received from component NOx sensor upstream of SCR catalytic converter.

SCR;
C10031 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C10087 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C10029 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C1001F - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C10081 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction, C10039 - Communication with control unit 'combustin engine has a malfunction.

I also have intermittent rear door issues where it wont close, but I have read there is a common pinched wire issue. I do have a code associated with that;
988613 (Stored & Current) Contact strip 1 for anti-pinch protection has a malfunction. There is an open circuit.

Would you think this is related to the CGW module?
I haven't looked at the module itself to check for corrosion, is it located near the steering column?
Old 06-06-2021, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550 2011
Originally Posted by jennit

The wiring information in the maintenance manual is excellent. I've worked with hundreds of different wiring diagram manuals (I mostly work on large aircraft avionics and electrical systems), and the Mercedes manual in that regard is one of the best and easiest to work with in my experience. I quickly located the plug providing power and CAN bus connection to the BLIS modules and disconnected it. The vehicle came back to life. I had planned on just disconnecting from the CAN bus, but the connector for that was too far forward and would have required removal of the left side panel for access...I hate working with trim. The power plug was right behind where the first aid kit is on the left side of the trunk and was most easily found by tracing the line from the bulkhead penetration going to the rear bumper. It's bundled up with the connector for the ParkTronic System. I was going to pull the fuse for the BLIS as well, since I don't like power on exposed pins, but the fuse also powers the wipers and we kind-of need those. I coded the BLIS out of the CGW (central gateway module) using my scanner so we wouldn't get the inoperative messages on the display. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to turn off the amber lights on the mirrors. The manual, unfortunately, seems to have poor coverage of the BLIS option.

where did you find the maintenance manual? I have almost the same errors. My Foxwell NT301 cannot communicate through ODB2 port but powers up. I read it was compatible. I’ve checked three fuse boxes and no blown fuses (front, rear, passenger side). Any thoughts what’s going on with this one?
Old 06-06-2021, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 616 Likes on 523 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by alx
Good job. But I believe you have other problems. Give it some time and report back
Water intrusion. OP hasn't posted since, probably dumped it.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550 2011
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Water intrusion. OP hasn't posted since, probably dumped it.
so you think central gateway module? From other threads I’ve read it seems to be the common problem for no communication. It also sounds like measuring can hi to low as 120 ohm but I don’t know which pins those are. Where can I get more details on how this can bus line goes through the car?
Old 06-07-2021, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 616 Likes on 523 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by 2011MBGL550
so you think central gateway module? From other threads I’ve read it seems to be the common problem for no communication. It also sounds like measuring can hi to low as 120 ohm but I don’t know which pins those are. Where can I get more details on how this can bus line goes through the car?
Recommend you start a new thread on your particular problem.