GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Factory backup camera converter cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2019 | 04:43 PM
EWT

11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Factory backup camera converter cable

I'm thinking about replacing the original head unit in my 08 GL550. I'm mostly doing it to get Android Auto functionality, but the Android based units seem to have more issues than I want to deal with so I was going to get a Sony or Pioneer head unit with Android Auto. The adapter available to interface with the OEM MOST audio system says that it is not compatible with the factory backup camera. I'd rather not add an aftermarket camera, and found this: https://avinusa.com/factory-backup-c...rsche-bmw.html that claims to adapt the factory camera output to a composite output, which should work with an aftermarket head unit.

Does anybody have experience with the cable? Does it actually work?
Old 07-03-2019 | 12:22 PM

2008 gl320
I have a 2008 gl320 and it didn't work for me. I had to splice in to a wire. I cut the wire and put a yellow rca connector on it. I don't remember which wire offhand, but I think it was the white and the black wire in the middle of the picture below.

By the way, I have the harmon kardon system. At first I had replaced it with a Pioneer 8200nex using a MOST adapter for the audio to the amplifier. I ended up changing that out with an android 8.0 headunit with the px5 and replacing the amp and speakers. The Pioneer was good but I wasn't too happy with the MOST adapter and the factory integration. The android unit is decent, but a bit slow. I was going to upgrade to an android 9.0 unit with the px6 but the seller sent me a unit for a w251 and then refused to accept a return. I'll probably try to upgrade later once a find another seller I can trust.

I think I spliced the black and white wire in the black connector for the camera.

What my factory radio looked like.
Old 07-04-2019 | 12:19 AM

GL450
The cable works.It is just a connector and is not an 'adapter' or 'converter' to make non compatible systems work. It works just as good as an RCA cable, but with a cleaner and neat look. The MOST adapter is a separate component and does not need to be connected to the back up camera. You may want to check a comprehensive discussion on an Android headunit here https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...on-system.html
Old 07-07-2019 | 01:27 PM

2012 GL550, 2016 C300, 2005 Mustang
Search Farka to RCA cable on Amazon. Thats what I used for installing my aftermarket head unit to my GL550's stock rear view camera.
Old 07-07-2019 | 03:42 PM
EWT

11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Thanks for the help.

GB25 - what didn't you like about the MOST adapter? It seems like all the ones I've seen look the same and have similar functionality. Are you using a different one with the Android unit?
Old 07-07-2019 | 10:47 PM

2008 gl320
I mainly wasn't too impressed with the sound quality using the factory amp and speakers with the MOST adapter. I also didn't like that I couldn't control fade with it. I also had an issue with too much parasitic draw causing my battery to run down after sitting for a week or so. I think I had it wired correctly but I'm not sure. I decided to just do away with the factory amp altogether.

I bought an android 8.0 head unit from a seller on ebay. They offered the MOST adapter separately (I already had one) but they also offered a wiring harness for the amplifier. It was expensive ($60, maybe $80, I don't remember) but I didn't want to cut the factory amplifier harness so it was worth it. The wires were in the wrong order but after tracing down the wires I was able to get it wired correctly. Now the amplifier is bypassed and I am using a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp, some Morel component speakers and a Cerwin-Vega VPAS12ST.

It was tedious but it sounds better and it's more like a traditional sound system in a car. The fiber optic at the radio and the amp is just bypassed.

Amplifier bypass harness.

Amplifier under the driver seat. Subwoofer control mounted on the side of the center console.

Cerwin-Vega spare tire subwoofer. Had to modify it a bit to get it to fit. Jack and tools are in a tripod bag.

Last edited by gb25; 07-08-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2020 | 02:31 AM

2008 GL450
Must be more then those two wires...

Originally Posted by gb25
I have a 2008 gl320 and it didn't work for me. I had to splice in to a wire. I cut the wire and put a yellow rca connector on it. I don't remember which wire offhand, but I think it was the white and the black wire in the middle of the picture below.

By the way, I have the harmon kardon system. At first I had replaced it with a Pioneer 8200nex using a MOST adapter for the audio to the amplifier. I ended up changing that out with an android 8.0 headunit with the px5 and replacing the amp and speakers. The Pioneer was good but I wasn't too happy with the MOST adapter and the factory integration. The android unit is decent, but a bit slow. I was going to upgrade to an android 9.0 unit with the px6 but the seller sent me a unit for a w251 and then refused to accept a return. I'll probably try to upgrade later once a find another seller I can trust.

I think I spliced the black and white wire in the black connector for the camera.

What my factory radio looked like.
Still... The camera has video signal which is inside a shield (ground) and a single signal wire and then there is the trigger wire. Could you point to which wire triggered the signal? This is important because the video signal alone will not turn-on the screen for the camera image... The screen will switch to backup camera only if triggered by the appropriate wire; which is it? It might as well be that the shield (ground) is supplied by the main ground (very unlikely) and then you will have indeed two wires, but not spliced into one RCA;one will have to go tho the trigger... If you remember what you did, you might come back and explain. Thanks. I'm in the midst of fixing the backup camera myself and before replacing it with a different one, I wand to go over all options to retain the factory one. I only get 6V on the wire which I believe is the trigger...
Old 11-20-2020 | 02:54 AM

2008 GL450
Better options out there...

Originally Posted by EWT
I'm thinking about replacing the original head unit in my 08 GL550. I'm mostly doing it to get Android Auto functionality, but the Android based units seem to have more issues than I want to deal with so I was going to get a Sony or Pioneer head unit with Android Auto. The adapter available to interface with the OEM MOST audio system says that it is not compatible with the factory backup camera. I'd rather not add an aftermarket camera, and found this: https://avinusa.com/factory-backup-c...rsche-bmw.html that claims to adapt the factory camera output to a composite output, which should work with an aftermarket head unit.

Does anybody have experience with the cable? Does it actually work?
The Avinusa is somewhat good for keeping factory controls and the amplifier, but is far from ideal. First off I'm writing this in late November 2020 and there are a few amazing Android options which only hit the market recently. The Avinusa has a very low screen resolution down to 600, instead of the best available today of 800. Next; the Avin has 6 cores and DDR3, as opposed to eight cores and DDR4; the difference in response is huge. Remember that such a unit runs more then one task at any point in time; you have the home-screen, you have radio, you have maps, you might have an updated layer of interface, you want to have your voice control in stand-by... There is a lot going-on as far as processes which run in the background. Six cores will do the job, but with latency compared to an eight core and DDR4. Next, the sound. They will sell you on a conversion box for another $99 bucks, but this one is limited to two channels. The factory system feeds all channels into the factory optic wire, while here you will only feed FL/FR; remember that!!! A proper install will imply replacing the amplifier (which is a joke to start with - I opened it up and it's literally a toy and I'm talking about the HK Q7) with one or two dedicated ones. This way you will get the full benefit of the features (which are great) of the aftermarket unit. DSP included, timing and all the good stuff... Next; once you have a decent amplifier, you might want to spend a bit more and get rid of those cartoon speakers (Yes cartoon as in Disney - Mickey Mouse speakers). Internet speed... The new units come with 5Ghz WIFI and 2.4 Ghz WIFI; I opted for the one which also has a sim-card tray and gets 4GLTE. Flawless!!! I use a lot of Sirius XM and I added a very sleek Sirius XM radio to the system and it goes into the AUX; perfectly implemented. I could use the Sirius XM app, but for some reason the app does not start instantly like an internet radio would (same happens regardless of device - phone, tablet and so on...). In this scenario it's all instantly there... If anyone wants to see some photos and if this posting passes the moderation, I will be more than glad to share some photos.
Old 11-20-2020 | 05:53 PM

2008 GL450
Originally Posted by GermanEmigrant
Still... The camera has video signal which is inside a shield (ground) and a single signal wire and then there is the trigger wire. Could you point to which wire triggered the signal? This is important because the video signal alone will not turn-on the screen for the camera image... The screen will switch to backup camera only if triggered by the appropriate wire; which is it? It might as well be that the shield (ground) is supplied by the main ground (very unlikely) and then you will have indeed two wires, but not spliced into one RCA;one will have to go tho the trigger... If you remember what you did, you might come back and explain. Thanks. I'm in the midst of fixing the backup camera myself and before replacing it with a different one, I wand to go over all options to retain the factory one. I only get 6V on the wire which I believe is the trigger...
Problem solved! I was to lazy to remove the rear panel, but I did and now all is clear. There is no Fakra for the factory camera. It's a connector with four wires but you must pay attention because they will change colors from the back (trunk hood) to the dash harness. No need to open-up the back cover since I did it and I will explain exactly what needs to be done to retain the factory camera on an aftermarket stereo of any kind: The white wire is the signal and the black wire is the shield (ground) for the camera; all you need to do is to solder an RCA male with the white wire to the center of the RCA and the black wire to the outer ring of the RCA. This will plug into the head-unit at the appropriate RCA plug. Next you will need to run a wire from your left side rear lamp to the head-unit and solder it to the wire marked BACK. The wire is super-easy to install. First you remove the plate which holds the bulbs, next you find the reverse bulb and follow the wire; splice into that. Why is this necessary? The MB trigger is set on 6V, while the after-market units need 12V in order to do the switch for the screen. The camera is powered at all times from factory. I hates so much on the factory system that the camera never started when I needed it, but seconds later - NO MORE. I's there when you need it. Also remember, this camera is ancient and the resolution is very bad. Consider installing a better camera, but use the wires you already have in place; very easy to do! That's all.
The following 3 users liked this post by GermanEmigrant:
2008 ML 320 CDI (11-07-2021), usmambidad (08-30-2023), vasile (09-06-2021)