GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

1 front strut keeps letting out burst of air

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2019 | 09:52 PM

07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
1 front strut keeps letting out burst of air

Hello,
Need help. I have my passenger front strut keep letting out burst of air. It doesnt completely deflate. If I push the rising up button it will go up. then at a certain point it will burst out in air and drops slightly. looks like the car is lowered. Compressor is working tho.

Valve block?
or
Strut? - It is an arnott replacement installed 3 years ago.

I was thinking if it is the strut wouldnt it completely deflate instead of letting air out in bursts?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2019 | 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Spray suspect areas with soapy water and look for bubbles. Similar to what you'd do as a kid looking for a leak in your bicycle's inner tube - although I usually just submersed it in the sink.
Old 09-02-2019 | 06:22 AM

'07 GL450
My guess would be the pump.

I've had the same issue for quite some time: every so often the vehicle let's out a burst of air. It seems to come from the front-right, but not sure if its the strut or the pump (it starting happening after I replaced the pump though, so I thought it was by design). The burst sounds like a bus/truck's air breaks.

When it happens, the vehicle lowers just a touch (apparently only the front-right) and seems to re-level. From my standpoint, the drop is not physically noticeable, that is, I don't "feel" the vehicle lower itself. No apparent rhyme or reason - it just happens sporadically; some times only once during a round-trip outing, or not at all. I did check for air leaks at one point; found none, so I just live/d with it.

I may decide to contact Arnott at some point to see what's up.
Old 09-02-2019 | 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Letting out a "burst" of air is a perfectly normal thing for it do as the excess pressure in the tank is bled off. It's also normal to see this happen after you park the car (probably depending on grade?) and turn the ignition off and then open/close your door - at the same time, it's normal to see the car adjust it's height a bit. It wasn't clear from the initial post when the suppsed problem is happening, so I just wanted to add this additional info.

It could be the two of you are just talking about normal things.

There would be no burst of air coming directly from the front, right strut - the compressor is located in that vacinity. The only way you'd hear a burst of air from the strut is if the air bag blows a hole in itself - and of course that is not what is happening here.

Last edited by DennisG01; 09-02-2019 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
eric_in_sd (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019 | 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Dennis is right. This is the system re-leveling.
Old 09-02-2019 | 12:39 PM

07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
I just activated the rising button, I watched and waited till something gives burst. Its the strut.. air is leaking at the bottom of the air spring. So strange that it doesnt complete deflate only poops air when it gets to a certain pressure I presume. Lucky it is an Arnott replacement 3 years back w limited lifetime warranty. I have to contact them now. They are in Florida tho. The storm of the century may delay operation hours. My GL may be immobile for weeks.
Old 09-02-2019 | 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by fkong777
I just activated the rising button, I watched and waited till something gives burst. Its the strut.. air is leaking at the bottom of the air spring. So strange that it doesnt complete deflate only poops air when it gets to a certain pressure I presume. Lucky it is an Arnott replacement 3 years back w limited lifetime warranty. I have to contact them now. They are in Florida tho. The storm of the century may delay operation hours. My GL may be immobile for weeks.
OK, now it's clearer. Yes, that is a relatively normal way that the rubber bag wears/gives out over time. The "hole" only appears when the bag is folded/unfolded a certain way. At other times, the hole is being pinched closed.
Old 09-02-2019 | 10:58 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arnott will replace the strut no questions asked.
The following users liked this post:
arnottdoug (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019 | 01:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Arnott is Open Again After Hurricane Dorian

Originally Posted by fkong777
I have to contact them now. They are in Florida tho. The storm of the century may delay operation hours.
Arnott is back open after a six day break to watch the storm. Happy to report no damage.

Please contact customer support: https://www.arnottindustries.com/contacts
The following 2 users liked this post by arnottdoug:
alx (09-05-2019), Yup497 (09-06-2019)