GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New GL320 Owner, question about coolant hoses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2019 | 03:21 AM

GL320
New GL320 Owner, question about coolant hoses

Hey everyone, sure am glad I found this forum! So I've always wanted a MB but it never really fit into my budget. To get around this I decided to buy a wrecked 2009 GL320 from an auction. Unfortunately I don't have any autobody or painting skills so I will definitely have some learning to do. But if watching youtube videos was a good teacher, I'm basically a pro now! All joking aside, I have a major learning curve ahead of me.

Anyways, before I can start ordering the parts I need to fix this thing I have to figure out what I have and what I need. I am really hoping someone can help me out with this.

In the terrible photo that I have posted below, you can see a coolant hose. That hose comes off of the bottom part of the expansion tank, then goes through some sort of plastic thing (clearly I don't know what it is) and then heads downwards. As you can see there is a TT fitting and both of the hoses coming off of it have been cut. Can anyone tell me where these two hoses go? I have watched every youtube video video I find about cooling systems, bumper removal, inner fender removal just to try and catch a glimpse of the lines or what they go to. I have also searched these forums and looked at the MB service manual.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much

Old 09-07-2019 | 11:22 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Can you please provide more photos and context? The plastic item appears to be the recirculation pump.

Spend some time looking at the diagrams here:
https://www.mercedesbenzstarparts.co...and-components
Old 09-07-2019 | 12:35 PM

GL320
Chassis I will provide you whatever information you want on this, what information are you looking for. Any help you can give will help me out huge. The only picture I have is the one that I posted because I took a video of it and then screenshot the video. What I am wondering about is, if you look at the two hoses that are laying horizontal on the lower side of the re-circulation pump (thanks for letting me know what that was), they are both cut off. I have no idea where those need to be plumbed too. They look like there is going to be something that they cool down, maybe some sort of module or computer that is located right in front of the drivers side tire? I have no idea what I am missing from the other side.

If there is any information that I can give you that will clear this up more i would love to give it.

I'm assuming that I have to download a VPN to view that link. I work rotational and wont be back in Canada for nine more days. I have one on my work laptop so I will check out the link tomorrow.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to this. I bought the Mercedes already torn apart and I need to make sure that I have all of the pieces to put it back together.
Old 09-07-2019 | 12:40 PM

GL320
After doing a quick google search, it appears that black thing is most definitely is the auxiliary water pump. Just need to figure out where the two hoses goto that come off of it! I'm getting closer!
Old 09-07-2019 | 12:40 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
More photos will help. The link is public.
Old 09-07-2019 | 12:42 PM

GL320
I will see if I can get someone to take more photos of it. The link gives me a 403 forbidden page. I'm in Russia, tons of pages are IP blocked from over here, Ill just use my VPN from work in the morning.
Old 09-07-2019 | 01:03 PM

GL320
I called my mom and she took a couple pictures for me! Love mom!

Do these help clear it up? I don't know where the two cut off lines run to?

Old 09-07-2019 | 02:15 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dude... download WIS. You need it.
Old 09-07-2019 | 02:16 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
What else are you missing on this vehicle? Do you have the radiator? What is the function of the recirculation pump? Why is it there? What is it connected to? Have you researched these questions?

Just checked my 2017 W166 GLE350, it seems to have a similar pump and hoses in the same location as your R. I can't see below the recirculator pump, to see what is attached. It is in the area below the left headlamp and adjacent to the washer fluid bottle. Does it simply connect to the radiator? I think the function is to supply quick heat to the cabin.

Last edited by chassis; 09-07-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2019 | 02:34 PM

GL320
i am working on figuring out what pieces I am missing. I have the radiator. So far the only things that I can find that I am missing is a drivers side headlight and whatever those two hoses go through. The easy parts to replace are the ones that I have sitting in the garage broken, the hard ones are the ones that are missing because I have no experience with MB. The truck was already taken apart when i bought it, it's kind of like a jigsaw puzzle with no lid.

As for the recirc pump, all I can find is that it is a fail safe for the water pump, as well as a way to ensure that there are no air bubbles in the system. Some sites claim that it pumps water to the heater core but based on the routing of the lines it doesn't appear to be the case on this vehicle.
Old 09-07-2019 | 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Isn't the recirc pump the item that circulates hot coolant when the enigne is off to provide residual heating to the cabin by pressing the "rest" button?
Old 09-07-2019 | 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Is this too good to be true? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-2019...gAAOSwdiFdGIEC
Old 09-08-2019 | 06:12 AM

GL320
Ok I bought the WIS program and after the last three hours of searching on it I can't find any information on where those two hoses go to. The fact that they point straight out of the driver side wheel throws me off. It is referred to as the auxiliary water pump. Can't find any literature on this year for my MB that says what it does or where the hoses go. I will have to try and get it up on a hoist to look for two other hoses that are cut off.
Old 09-08-2019 | 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Well, the only reason they're pointing straight out is because they have been cut and the hose went back to it's "strightened" form... not that that really helps you much, but don't think about where they are pointing right now. If I had to guess, based on the slight bend they still have, I'd say they went forward.
Old 09-09-2019 | 10:27 PM

2009 gl320
Windshield washer

These hoses go to windshield washer reservoir. I guess to keep it from freezing.
The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (09-11-2019)
Old 09-09-2019 | 11:07 PM

GL320
Edvaru, thank you very much, I really do mean that. You helped me out huge here. I was really worried that it went to some heat auxiliary heat exchanger or worse yet some expense module that needed to be cooled down. I did read about this on a different model of MB but the pump looked different with a third port on it, I couldn't find any literature telling me that my SUV had this option.

To everyone else that helped out with my question, thank you as well for taking the time to respond. Hopefully once I get a little bit more familiar with my GL I can pipe up and help some others with their questions.