GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 350 Engine Seized. Help Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 02:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by Emotional_Ant
Yes, I got the book(need to find it now), and everything was done with the dealership, never have I ever taken the car anywhere else. But the dealership now refuses to replace saying the engine is out of warranty. Post the engine replacement there were around 20,000 miles that were on the engine.
If you have that same book and can prove date of installation; I don't see how your dealer can refuse to honor the warranty and state it is expired.

I would escalate to MBUSA, but it seems none of their emails work anymore...so therefore, I would start with a phone conversation with MBUSA.

Find your book and find your invoice for the engine replacement.

Good Luck! I find it odd that your new engine would blow again in just 20k miles if it were new. Did you do all required maintenance?

I'm the same. Being the vehicle is under warranty; a Mercedes dealership is the only mechanics that have touched the vehicle...aside from 1-set of tires.

Edit: Where are you located? I'd like to steer clear of this dealership if I live in the vicinity.

Last edited by 91stealthes; 07-11-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Are you in the US or Canada?
Old 07-11-2022, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205
Not sure why you're saying to stay away from the V8, since the GL420 has a different engine (OM629) while it's the V6 diesel engine (OM642) that seems to have issue's with crankshaft sensor, oli-cooler leaks and twc temp sensor.
I'm reading nothing about seized v8 engines? Or am i mistaken?

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Welcome to the bluetec seized engine club where thousands are members. Sell the GL for whatever you can, maybe ask $1000, one of the technicians at the dealership may buy it. You might get a little more on trade. Never, ever, buy another diesel Mercedes. Time to go car shopping. If you want to stick with the brand consider a 2012-2019 GLE 350 (166 chassis) GASOLINE powered. Stay away from the V8, and buy a 2wd unless you really need 4matic.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Dude, if you have the book that says 4/50 that’s it. They cannot retroactively modify the published warranty. Make them replace it and dump the car.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:52 AM

Mercedes GL 350
Originally Posted by 91stealthes
If you have that same book and can prove date of installation; I don't see how your dealer can refuse to honor the warranty and state it is expired.

I would escalate to MBUSA, but it seems none of their emails work anymore...so therefore, I would start with a phone conversation with MBUSA.

Find your book and find your invoice for the engine replacement.

Good Luck! I find it odd that your new engine would blow again in just 20k miles if it were new. Did you do all required maintenance?

I'm the same. Being the vehicle is under warranty; a Mercedes dealership is the only mechanics that have touched the vehicle...aside from 1-set of tires.

Edit: Where are you located? I'd like to steer clear of this dealership if I live in the vicinity.
I had mentioned about 20K miles and why it blew at such low miles, like I said all required maintenance was done with the dealership, always. I found the book and it has 4 yrs and 50K miles warranty. I was told earlier by the service advisor and the dealership it was a 2 yr warranty and that has expired. Luckily I happen to see this post...not sure of the outcome will see how it goes. Even with a new engine, the car valuation is still low and assume not going to change. Even if they replace the engine, I am not sure if I would be able to use the car for the next 4 years with the high maintenance it demands... assuming nothing else breaks...

Last edited by Emotional_Ant; 07-12-2022 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:57 AM

Mercedes GL 350
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Are you in the US or Canada?
Am in the US.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:58 AM

Mercedes GL 350
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Dude, if you have the book that says 4/50 that’s it. They cannot retroactively modify the published warranty. Make them replace it and dump the car.
True...although I assume the engine will cost more than what the car might be worth although that should not be my issue...
Old 07-12-2022, 08:27 AM

2012 GL350
True...although I assume the engine will cost more than what the car might be worth although that should not be my issue...
Exactly, it's not your issue. You have a 4yr/50,000 warranty. The engine gets replace...plain and simple. Unless you want to trade it in for a new/used Mercedes and they give you over book (A truck with a new engine is worth more than a truck that has 100,000 on it's engine).

Again, please share this dealership so others can avoid it. If they are cutting 2-years off of an engine warranty...what other shenanigans are they pulling? I'd have it towed to your local sprinter dealer for the replacement. Your current dealer would not be replacing the engine for me if it was my vehicle.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:31 PM

Mercedes GL 350
Originally Posted by 91stealthes
Exactly, it's not your issue. You have a 4yr/50,000 warranty. The engine gets replace...plain and simple. Unless you want to trade it in for a new/used Mercedes and they give you over book (A truck with a new engine is worth more than a truck that has 100,000 on it's engine).

Again, please share this dealership so others can avoid it. If they are cutting 2-years off of an engine warranty...what other shenanigans are they pulling? I'd have it towed to your local sprinter dealer for the replacement. Your current dealer would not be replacing the engine for me if it was my vehicle.
I thought I had already replied earlier, but don't see it posted. I will definitely share the dealership, let me see, how they respond to my request, before publicly letting their name out. Once I reveal that they will know exactly who I am . I hope after this they give a good value for the car and I can get rid of it. I am not sure why being a dealership they would take 2 yrs off a warranty, and I was told they discussed with MBUSA as well, so I am surprised no one caught that anytime. I am not sure if the current dealer should replace the engine or not, but i am not sure I might have an option not to go with them.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Lots of BAD AND INCORRECT information being spread here. This is very simple:

If the engine was replaced under your CPO warranty, the engine warranty expires when the CPO warranty expires, period. Just like the original 4/50k warranty, it ends at 4/50k, period.

If YOU paid for the replacement engine, it carries a 4/50 warranty. Most other parts that YOU purchase carry a 2/24 warranty. Pretty simple.
https://www.mbusa.com/content/dam/mb...20Warranty.pdf

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 07-14-2022 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:22 AM

2012 GL350

If the engine was replaced under your CPO warranty, the engine warranty expires when the CPO warranty expires, period. Just like the original 4/50k warranty, it ends at 4/50k, period.

If YOU paid for the replacement engine, it carries a 4/50 warranty. Most other parts that YOU purchase carry a 2/24 warranty. Pretty simple.
Where is the bad and incorrect information? Formal Mercedes Benz documentation was provided to myself and other stating a 48-month/50,000 mile warranty.

The document you linked also states the following on the first page...
Engines and long blocks are warranted for 48 months or 50,000 miles (36 months or 36,000 miles for Sprinter), whichever comes first, from date of installation.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Greasemonkey is correct. MB does not honor after the extended warranty is up regardless of what paperwork says.

Question to Emo Ant, did you have the diesel emissions update? If so, this should be covered under that warranty. If not, you may want to get an attorney and see what they can do. MB already lost a major court battle over this engine.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:24 AM

2012 GL350
Greasemonkey is correct. MB does not honor after the extended warranty is up regardless of what paperwork says.
Interesting. I wonder how that would hold up in court. The warranty document Greasemonkey also states:

Defects: Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (MBUSA) warrants to the original purchaser and each subsequent owner of Genuine Mercedes-Benz Parts, equipment, or factory-approved accessories, except tires, installed on a Mercedes-Benz vehicle which is operated in the U.S.A. under normal use and service, to be free from defects in material and workmanship.

If this is the case under CPO or extended CPO, Mercedes would be the original purchaser and the owner would be the subsequent owner which the warranty transfers to.

If what Greasemonkey is saying is correct, when my brand new crate engine was installed; it would have only had a couple month warranty as my extended CPO was ending.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
@E55Greasemonkey - that may be how MB USA currently approaches it; but as written it states 4/50 independent of other warranties in effect. There’s no language or catch all stating that end of CPO warranty effectively terminates any other warranty in effect, unless I am missing something.

It might take a round in court to press the issue, or at least a credible threat of one.

Edit: completely forgot about the arbitration option… While time consuming it is the one due diligence step you should take prior to taking legal action.

Last edited by Max Blast; 07-15-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Point out the wording and try to get them to change their mind. Let them know, since you have the warranty in writing, it may be very compelling to a judge or arbitrator if you have to pursue. Of course, let them know that will be the last resort and you prefer to stay out of the court system. Your state may have a department that handles consumer affairs or maybe a local TV station has an "on your side" type broadcast that could help them change their mind. In addition, I've found getting state and or federal agencies involved, when something really seems off, gets the process moving quickly. If they still do not respond positively, get this in front of an attorney and, at the least, have them write MB a demand letter.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:42 PM

Mercedes GL 350

Question to Emo Ant, did you have the diesel emissions update? If so, this should be covered under that warranty. If not, you may want to get an attorney and see what they can do. MB already lost a major court battle over this engine.
Yes I got the Diesel emission update, but it was done after the engine had already failed, but they were somehow able to bring it to life, but practically not usable...what warranty is there after the emissions update? What does it cover?
Old 07-15-2022, 11:57 PM

Mercedes GL 350

I wanted to point out that when they had first replaced the engine under CPO extended warranty, my service advisor had specifically told me that the engine is warranted for 3/4 yrs, I took that at face value and forgot about the book till "91stealthes" pointed out to me, that it was 4 yrs/50K. MY CPO extended warranty expired a few months after the engine was installed. I don't think my service advisor would have said 3/4 yrs of engine warranty if my CPO extended warranty was expiring in a couple of months. My second engine went bad 2 months after 3 yr anniversary of its installation. So I thought nothing more can be done, since the dealership said the warranty has expired, not knowing that the warranty was for 4yr/50K, which I just pointed out to the dealership. So why would a service advisor say 3/4 yrs if my extended warranty expired within a couple of months of the second engine install? Reading the language in the link also says for engine blocks it's 4 yrs/50K, or is it be read any differently?
Old 07-16-2022, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes I got the Diesel emission update, but it was done after the engine had already failed, but they were somehow able to bring it to life, but practically not usable...what warranty is there after the emissions update? What does it cover?
Look in the diesel section. There are links to the coverage.