GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL 320 Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2020 | 11:11 AM

GL 320
GL 320 Suspension

2008 gl 320.

front air struts replaced a year ago. Air compressor replaced 6 months ago. Noticed this morning that the front end both sides was setting very low. Just a few inches above the tire. Drove it around with no malfunction message but it never rose to the right height. When I parked it I tried to raise it with the ride height button and got the message that compressor was cooling down.

I can hear the compressor come on. And I am not hearing any air leaking like I did before replacing struts a year ago.

im think maybe air compressor filter or air compressor valve block?

Thoughts?
Old 07-27-2020 | 03:03 PM

GL 320
So here is a update with a little more explanation. This same problem happens about 6 months ago at first. Both side on the front end were very low. Back end was at correct height. So 6 months ago I replaced the compressor and it seemed to fix it. Ride height was correct all the way around and I could once again raise it without the compressor needing to cool down.

fast forward until now and we are back to low ride height on the front end. So yesterday I replaced the valve block and compressor air filter. It fixed it momentarily only to wake up this morning with a low ride height. Not as low as it was but still not the correct height.

what I’m thinking is this. 6 months ago my valve block was leaking air. Replacing the compressor was a temporary fix. The new compressor had to work twice as hard to keep everything filled up. And now the compressor has went out again. I think this is the case because my struts are only a year old. And both fronts are holding air, they do not feel deflated and I can hear no air leaking.

would you all agree with my thinking here? After replacing the valve block last night I am going to throw on a new compressor as I think this one may have burnt out already trying to keep up with the old leaking valve? The only other thing I could think it might be is the ride height sensor. But I wouldn’t imagine both the driver and pssanger going out at the same time?
Old 07-28-2020 | 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
When was the last time you replaced your rear air bags?

does your central reservoir hold air?
Old 07-29-2020 | 08:16 PM

GL 320
Originally Posted by Max Blast
When was the last time you replaced your rear air bags?

does your central reservoir hold air?
all 4 air bags were replaced last summer.

what is the central reservoir?
Old 07-30-2020 | 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Betweeen the rear diff and where your trailer hitch would be(if so equipped) is a big air tank. The compressor fills this and then the valve block distributes air from it based on the inputs from each level sensor.
Old 08-09-2020 | 05:12 PM

GL 320
New update on this and I am even more confused. I replaced the compressor again and that actually seemed to work briefly. Now this is my new problems. After replaced the compressor I was working on something else under neath and raised the vehicle to the “raised level” however only the front end raised fully. The back end just stayed at normal ride height. Once I noticed this I pressed the bottom to lower it back down and it showed the “lowering” message but it took FOREVER to lower it to normal ride height. Like I’m talking around 30 minutes to lower it back down to normal. I let it sit there and run for a minute while I went inside to grab my phone and wallet. Came back out to take it for a test drive. When I got in all four corners were at normal level. I back out of the garage and started to pull forward and my wife stopped me so I got back out and took at look and the front end was bottomed out. Within probably 20 seconds it went from normal ride height to bottomed out only on the front. So I tried to raise it again and sure enough the front raised to raised height and the back stayed at normal height. Tired to lower it and it did all the same thing over again.

I can hear the compressor come on and it seems to be working. All air bags feel tight and full and I cannot hear or see (tried spraying for bubbles) any leaks.

Could this be ride level sensors? I’m confused as to why the rear isn’t raising to max level and why the front takes so long to lower and then quickly bottoms out.

also it should be noted that once it bottomed out I drove it carefully for about a half hour and it did raise slightly but still jot to the correct level. Once home and parked it held that level. I also raised it to max level and it was able to hold that level. It does not seem to be leaking.
Old 08-09-2020 | 06:26 PM

GL 320
Ok now after having to drive it around for some errands, the drivers side front and read and both low. Passenger side looks to be back up to normal height
Old 08-10-2020 | 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes it could be level sensors - you should check each for integrity and smooth operation.

when were the air bags replaced last? These are wear items.
Old 08-10-2020 | 02:44 PM

GL 320
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Yes it could be level sensors - you should check each for integrity and smooth operation.

when were the air bags replaced last? These are wear items.
they were replaced last summer
Old 08-10-2020 | 09:50 PM

GL 320
Ok drove it again today. And also tried to raise and lower it again to see what would happen. Raised it to “raised leve” and that worked fine And I left it there for about half an hour with no change. Hit the lower button and the front lowered to where the wheel well was nearly on top of the tire. But the back end never lowered. It also took about a half hour for the front to lower
Old 08-14-2020 | 06:50 PM

2009 GL 450
Originally Posted by codysmith5
Ok drove it again today. And also tried to raise and lower it again to see what would happen. Raised it to “raised leve” and that worked fine And I left it there for about half an hour with no change. Hit the lower button and the front lowered to where the wheel well was nearly on top of the tire. But the back end never lowered. It also took about a half hour for the front to lower
Was your problem fixed? If so how did you fix it?