GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Bluetooth/hands Free 2007 GL 450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 450
Bluetooth/hands Free 2007 GL 450

I bought a 2007 MB GL 450 with 26,000 miles from an elderly neighbor.'s estate. The technology is very old but still very confusing. I'm getting super frustrated trying to make calls.

2 things:
1) The 2 attached pictures are what has been described to me as the "hands free" upgrade located in the console. It appears to be missing a "cradle" BUT I don;t want to use this anyway. I just want to use the BlueTooth.
2) My phone picks up the car's BlueTooth when I am inside of it but it fails to pair every time I try and connect. I've tried probably 20 times in the last 24 hours.

When I go olnine it says to make sure the car's BlueTooth is in "pairing" mode but I have no idea how to do that. Manual offers zero information on connecting BlueTooth or even hands free, which I find odd.

Can anyone tell me how to connect to BlueTooth? Also, consider me borderline retarded when it comes to ancient IT.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
First of all, congrats on the find. Such low mileage vehicles are not common but because in general the GL plummets in value especially after the time component of the manufacturer's warranty expires, you actually got a heck of a deal. Assuming you paid market value, that is.

Learn about the various time- and mileage-based failure items and do those repairs before they strand you. There are some terrible oversights in the manual, most notably pretending the transmission fluid is "lifetime". Changing the oil filter is so easy, I've taken to a 5K mile interval on that, for example.

On to your question about Bluetooth. My PDF of the owner's manual says nothing about Bluetooth. My COMAND (ugh) has no Bluetooth anywhere in the menu. And I don't see any MB Bluetooth devices on my phone. Perhaps you are seeing some other device from your garage?
Old 10-09-2020, 11:54 AM

2007 GL 450
Thanks for the response. I paid $15,000 which I felt was fair. Too late now if I got ripped off. It is basically a brand new car. All it needed was battery, oil change and rear brake pads. My car comes with the "hands free" option which is what was pictured. But I don't really understand it. I can either dock my phone to that device or connect to BlueTooth, supposedly. When I click the TEL icon it says "no phone connected" and when I try and use this video I can't get it to do the same thing, even though I have the disc changer, etc. My phone picks up the "MB Bluetooth" at my house, at my office, at the gym, etc. So I know it is the car. I even reset the BlueTooth on my phone and it does not pick "MB Bluetooth" up unless I'm in the car.

There is also supposedly a BlueTooth device I can buy and then dock that into the hands free plug I pictured above. I'd be glad to buy that if someone could tell me what its called,where to buy, etc.

i'd even be fine with hands free if I have to use the "cradle" but no idea what it is or where to get it?

Last edited by BigJohnH; 10-09-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by BigJohnH
Thanks for the response. I paid $15,000 which I felt was fair. Too late now if I got ripped off. It is basically a brand new car. All it needed was battery, oil change and rear brake pads. My car comes with the "hands free" option which is what was pictured. But I don't really understand it. I can either dock my phone to that device or connect to BlueTooth, supposedly. When I click the TEL icon it says "no phone connected" and when I try and use this video I can't get it to do the same thing, even though I have the disc changer, etc. My phone picks up the "MB Bluetooth" at my house, at my office, at the gym, etc. So I know it is the car. I even reset the BlueTooth on my phone and it does not pick "MB Bluetooth" up unless I'm in the car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reEXw3jpByc

There is also supposedly a BlueTooth device I can buy and then dock that into the hands free plug I pictured above. I'd be glad to buy that if someone could tell me what its called,where to buy, etc.

i'd even be fine with hands free if I have to use the "cradle" but no idea what it is or where to get it?
I dunno what's going on. That video references the mCar, which may be a replacement for the CD changer - that is, what he is doing is on a system with the Mcar thing already installed.

If you can't set the Bluetooth name & password via your COMAND ... I don't know what to tell you. It beats me why you see MB Bluetooth on your phone's menu. Maybe go out to a deserted place where you are sure there is nothing else. You sure it's a 2007?

You might get some mileage out of an adapter to plug into that armrest socket. Let me know if that works for you. I've just been using the aux input all these years.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:53 PM

2007 GL 450
I'm using the aux input for my music with no problem, when not listening to Sirius. Can you make calls over the aux somehow?
Do you think would work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-M...8AAOSwjVVVrP6b

Last edited by BigJohnH; 10-09-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
I'm using the aux input for my music with no problem, when not listening to Sirius. Can you make calls over the aux somehow?
Doubtful. That would require the aux to be 4-wire (left, right, ground, mic) rather than 3-wire (left, right, ground).

It could. It's certainly cheaper than when I researched back in '10, but still more than my cheap self wants to pay.

I sold my phone module on Ebay for a few bux, so that door is closed for me. I turn my phone off when I leave my house anyway.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 10-09-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,084 Likes on 871 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Yes, you are missing the bluetooth puck that plugs into the socket below the center arm rest.
The following users liked this post:
Max Blast (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 05:29 PM
EWT

Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Do you think would work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-M...8AAOSwjVVVrP6b
That is what you need to use the factory phone bluetooth. I sold mine a few months ago on ebay for ~$100 so they can be had cheaper than that. I sold mine because I replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket unit, that had audio and phone BT built in. If you're thinking about keeping the vehicle for awhile, I'd think about spending the money on a head unit rather than the MB phone only solution since you add android auto/car play (that gives you access to Waze/Google Maps) both types of BT, much higher quality screen etc. etc. etc. Double-DIN units are an easy install and integrate well into the dash with an install kit.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by EWT
That is what you need to use the factory phone bluetooth. I sold mine a few months ago on ebay for ~$100 so they can be had cheaper than that. I sold mine because I replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket unit, that had audio and phone BT built in. If you're thinking about keeping the vehicle for awhile, I'd think about spending the money on a head unit rather than the MB phone only solution since you add android auto/car play (that gives you access to Waze/Google Maps) both types of BT, much higher quality screen etc. etc. etc. Double-DIN units are an easy install and integrate well into the dash with an install kit.
Completely agree. When I was researching options for this, I concluded the replacement head unit was a better option than anything else. But I decided to just limp along with the aux input hooked up to a no-sim-card phone as a music player.

The factory system works, sort of, but it's one band-aid after another. The dongle in the center console is an example of yet another band-aid. Germans are not known for their electronic user interfaces. Can't tell you how many times I've stabbed that LCD screen, thinking it's touch sensitive. They seem to think Daylight Saving Time is stupid, so they make adjusting for it an arcane series of steps - that you have to execute twice a year.

But hey! There's a motorized faceplate that impresses your guests! You press EJECT to move the faceplate out of the way, and back, but not to actually eject any discs. Those wacky Germans.

To really impress your passengers, show them how you hollowed out the CD Changer (hello, the 1990's want their electronics back) to turn it into discreet gat storage.

I digress. Have fun with your GL. Long time user alx put it great: That truck ages well. Let it sleep inside, and it will just go and go and go.

Get yourself a good metric tool set, and Torx bits galore; a good floor jack, jack stands, and at the minimum a MBII OBD tool; gain wisdom from the fine folks here and honestly that thing will go forever at surprisingly low cost.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Cool find.

the car doesnt have built in Bluetooth. You’ll need the puck adapter to get that functionality.

this was 2007 after all.

if you don’t want to f around with decade old bt pucks, you’ll find an auxiliary input in the glove compartment - just hook your phone to that via a male to male rca cord and an adapter appropriate for your phone. You’ll get phone audio over the speakers and If you leave it somewhere in the center console I’ve never had anyone say they couldn’t hear me. Also when the call ends you can crank tunes from your phone.

second all on that this truck ages well - unless you have water leaks then it’s all over. I just rounded 200k on my ‘07 and it’s just a great car. Quiet, tight, comfortable and reliable.

Last edited by Max Blast; 10-09-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Search “Mercedes Bluetooth puck” at eBay.