GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Options for GL450 Radio Upgrade while keeping Sirius Tuner....?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2020 | 01:17 PM

E55 AMG, Silverado, Cadillac, GL450
Options for GL450 Radio Upgrade while keeping Sirius Tuner....?

I've been viewing numerous threads with folks performing radio upgrades from their factory radios and while the Android type radios are cool I'm not sure they will work for me. I have a 2011 GL450 with the HK system. I seem to be leaning towards the Pioneer DMH-2660NEX at this moment. The reason is because I'd like to keep my factory Sirius tuner (not stream from my phone) due to poor cellular service in certain area's in which I drive.
  • I'd like to keep my steering wheel controls if possible! I'm ok with losing the ability to reset the dash clock.
  • Radio must have Android Auto/Apple Car Play. I'm ok if this is NOT wireless.
  • Need to have the ability to charge a phone either by USB or USB-C. I'm good with running cable to the center console.
  • I'd like to keep the ability to control the DVD system in back if possible, but it's not a deal breaker.
  • If the radio has the ability to stream something to it great, but again not a deal breaker.
  • I'm looking for a nice display, good size that sits in the dash (nothing floating).
  • I still want to keep my FM/AM for certain situations.
  • Also want to keep the backup camera.
If I'm missing something, feel free to calibrate me!

Appreciate the help!
Mark

Last edited by cabowabodude; 12-20-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2020 | 06:08 PM

GL550 X164
What's​​​​​​ your position on reverse camera function/retention? That's a function I would hate to lose. Can your choice of head unit handle the OEM camera or does it need an aftermarket one instead?

I've been contemplating an upgrade to the head unit but it's not high on my list right now. Some head units can accommodate the built in satellite antenna with a separate receiver you can buy. IIRC cost of the receiver was around $50 from Sirius. Not sure if yours can as well.

The clock can be reset by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery at 12 o'clock. Not convenient but doable.
Old 12-20-2020 | 06:43 PM

Yes on the reverse camera!

I definitely want to have a reverse camera!
Old 12-21-2020 | 02:43 PM
EWT

11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
I have that head unit and really like it. On my 08, the backup camera worked with a RCA/Fakra adapter and looks much better with a higher resolution screen. I don't use Sirius/XM so I don't know how well that works, but I think there is an add-on module for it. It has Spotify built-in, but I use my phone to stream from other services, so no feedback there either. Android Auto and Car Play both work fine via the USB cable. It terminates in USB-A, so you can use whatever type of cable you want to charge/connect. It does not do wireless AA/CP.

I used the Metra 99-8723B installation kit, which fits perfectly and does not look "aftermarket." The screen ends up nicely flush with the surround:

You'll also need some kind of MOST interface to connect to the amplifier and speakers. I used this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120MC9...Interface.html which keeps the steering wheel button buttons functional, but there are cheaper ones if you just want to get it to connect and use the controls on the head unit.
Old 12-23-2020 | 04:09 PM

2012 GL350, 2014 GLK250
I am going to try to talk you into an android unit! J/K
When I got my ML with HK system back in 2013, no one in my city would touch it with a 10 foot pole! Every car audio place I went to told me that unless I will rip out the fiber crap, it CANNOT be done. So I was left fending for myself and that is how I came to the Chinese android units which were pretty unheard of back then on our cars. I found the Chinese fiber adapter first, and experimented with a couple local double din stereos. I forget which one (of reputable ones) I tried, I think it was Pioneer or Kenwood, and I tried a fairly new company at the time - Parrot (they were the only non Chinese adroidy unit available). I don't even know if Parrot still exists. I did not like either. One thing that really bothered me is that it looked weird in the dash, like it looks out of place. Also did not like not having a volume knob - having to hit right spot to turn down volume while driving annoyed me. Did not have a backup camera on the car to begin with so it was not a concern, but i dont think that either of the units I tried would have supported it anyway.
Bought the HU from aliexpress (with backup camera). Loved it for 7 years, then it died. Only down side was the start up time.... like 40-50 seconds. Then I bought a newer one with PX6 chip. Instant startup, integration likes of which I did not expect. The new deck shows me which door is open for instance. All steering wheel buttons work. Even displays song names in the dash if they are English (and from the stock music app) - the first one did not but I got used to that pretty quick.
I am no audiophile, but I think that it sounds very good. My theory is that because it is sending audio output via digital light signal to the amp and the amp is what is actually making the sounds, I have retained the quality of the HK. Maybe I am completely wrong about that.

Now I just became a proud owner of a 2012 GL350 with HK... Right away, two things I noticed:
1. Command takes !forever! to boot up. Over the past year I got so used to the new android - it starts up instantaneously - that the stock radio appears to take too long to boot up.
2. audio quality SUCKS. With same HK sound system, I guess I just do not have enough control to tailor the sound to my liking. Like with an equalizer in the android.
I already have a new Android system waiting on my floor to be installed in the GL. I am now waiting on fiber adapter. By the way, if anyone is interested.... The only thing other than startup time of the original android I had that bothered me was the inability to fade between back and front. And that is limitation of fiber adapter - it only takes 2 channels... This will limit you on ANY aftermarket option. Well someone finally made an adapter that can fade front to back. I bought it from this Russian firm. They do not ship outside of Russia and periphery countries. If I like it when I get it I will make a thread and perhaps I can liaise and arrange for a group purchase so North Americans can benefit! Luckily I have a friiend in Moscow who will bring me the first unit =)

You will get best bang for your buck with Android unit. I am pretty sure you get to keep your factory camera function with Farka adapter (that is what I plan, already have adapter, read it works, have not tested myself yet), worst case you put an aftermarket one for $30 extra with better resolution. You get numerous USB ports for running wherever. You get GPS. Micro SD. If you end up with better cellular coverage down the road, you reap full benefits of the internet. You retain all of your steering buttons, get full customization of how the stereo looks - button lighting colour, themes, wallpapers. You will get bluetooth. You can get video output (I have not tested how well this works with factory headrest screens yet either). You will also get the factory look with buttons and volume knob, nothing will look awkward.
NOW, your situation revolves around sirius XM... Here is my take. You can get this android unit with all this functionality, PLUS a sirius receiver (eg Commander Touch) for less than would you would pay for something like a pioneer. With how much the android units improved over last few years, I would not be surprised that some adaptation will be made to allow android control over a sirius receiver in future too.
This of course will not fit your criteria of no floating screens, and I totally feel you that this could be a deal breaker. I just never used sirius before and do not know how much you need to interface with it... like do you just set a station once in a while and that is it? If so, then you could hide the screen in the arm rest for most part. If you are constantly scanning through stations, that is not an option obviously.

Sorry for my long write up. You just hit a note I guess, and I felt like there must be a solution for sirius integration that I tried to find. =)
The following users liked this post:
TX07GL450 (01-09-2021)
Old 12-23-2020 | 05:07 PM

Ok now I'm leaning towards an Android unit...

Originally Posted by Misha_
I am going to try to talk you into an android unit! J/K
When I got my ML with HK system back in 2013, no one in my city would touch it with a 10 foot pole! Every car audio place I went to told me that unless I will rip out the fiber crap, it CANNOT be done. So I was left fending for myself and that is how I came to the Chinese android units which were pretty unheard of back then on our cars. I found the Chinese fiber adapter first, and experimented with a couple local double din stereos. I forget which one (of reputable ones) I tried, I think it was Pioneer or Kenwood, and I tried a fairly new company at the time - Parrot (they were the only non Chinese adroidy unit available). I don't even know if Parrot still exists. I did not like either. One thing that really bothered me is that it looked weird in the dash, like it looks out of place. Also did not like not having a volume knob - having to hit right spot to turn down volume while driving annoyed me. Did not have a backup camera on the car to begin with so it was not a concern, but i dont think that either of the units I tried would have supported it anyway.
Bought the HU from aliexpress (with backup camera). Loved it for 7 years, then it died. Only down side was the start up time.... like 40-50 seconds. Then I bought a newer one with PX6 chip. Instant startup, integration likes of which I did not expect. The new deck shows me which door is open for instance. All steering wheel buttons work. Even displays song names in the dash if they are English (and from the stock music app) - the first one did not but I got used to that pretty quick.
I am no audiophile, but I think that it sounds very good. My theory is that because it is sending audio output via digital light signal to the amp and the amp is what is actually making the sounds, I have retained the quality of the HK. Maybe I am completely wrong about that.

Now I just became a proud owner of a 2012 GL350 with HK... Right away, two things I noticed:
1. Command takes !forever! to boot up. Over the past year I got so used to the new android - it starts up instantaneously - that the stock radio appears to take too long to boot up.
2. audio quality SUCKS. With same HK sound system, I guess I just do not have enough control to tailor the sound to my liking. Like with an equalizer in the android.
I already have a new Android system waiting on my floor to be installed in the GL. I am now waiting on fiber adapter. By the way, if anyone is interested.... The only thing other than startup time of the original android I had that bothered me was the inability to fade between back and front. And that is limitation of fiber adapter - it only takes 2 channels... This will limit you on ANY aftermarket option. Well someone finally made an adapter that can fade front to back. I bought it from this Russian firm. They do not ship outside of Russia and periphery countries. If I like it when I get it I will make a thread and perhaps I can liaise and arrange for a group purchase so North Americans can benefit! Luckily I have a friiend in Moscow who will bring me the first unit =)

You will get best bang for your buck with Android unit. I am pretty sure you get to keep your factory camera function with Farka adapter (that is what I plan, already have adapter, read it works, have not tested myself yet), worst case you put an aftermarket one for $30 extra with better resolution. You get numerous USB ports for running wherever. You get GPS. Micro SD. If you end up with better cellular coverage down the road, you reap full benefits of the internet. You retain all of your steering buttons, get full customization of how the stereo looks - button lighting colour, themes, wallpapers. You will get bluetooth. You can get video output (I have not tested how well this works with factory headrest screens yet either). You will also get the factory look with buttons and volume knob, nothing will look awkward.
NOW, your situation revolves around sirius XM... Here is my take. You can get this android unit with all this functionality, PLUS a sirius receiver (eg Commander Touch) for less than would you would pay for something like a pioneer. With how much the android units improved over last few years, I would not be surprised that some adaptation will be made to allow android control over a sirius receiver in future too.
This of course will not fit your criteria of no floating screens, and I totally feel you that this could be a deal breaker. I just never used sirius before and do not know how much you need to interface with it... like do you just set a station once in a while and that is it? If so, then you could hide the screen in the arm rest for most part. If you are constantly scanning through stations, that is not an option obviously.

Sorry for my long write up. You just hit a note I guess, and I felt like there must be a solution for sirius integration that I tried to find. =)
Misha,

I agree with you that the Android units are solid at this point. After doing some homework and finding out how many items (including Sirius) I would be losing by going with a name brand unit. I am now leaning towards a AVIN unit which should give me every option (minus the Sirius) for my GL. This allows me to maintain most of the stock radio functions. I can always have a Fire Stick set up in back for the video display. Thanks for the rant, it just helped push me over to the Android side.

Mark
Old 12-23-2020 | 05:34 PM

2012 GL350, 2014 GLK250
Hey Mark,

When I bought initially AVIN was out for me because it was considerably more expensive, and I have not revisited until now that you mentioned it. Prices are quite comparable now, and you get added benefit of US company. I also just learned they make adapter for stock microphone which I will now be getting, so thanks for that! =) Get that and get PX6!

Mike
Old 12-23-2020 | 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Spend nothing, and use your phone with the RCA jack in the glove compartment.