Mercedes GL450 rear right rear shocks loosing air pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 11:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Benz, BMW
Question Mercedes GL450 rear right rear shocks loosing air pressure

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone experienced the same issue and can suggest a proper solution to fix it. The tight rear air spring was loosing air slowly, like half of the normal pressure within a week if vehicle was parked. I would not even notice that if I had to use this vehicle every day. I replaced both rear air springs. However, the issue did not end. The right rear air spring is still loosing air at the same pace. Then, I checked for air leakages all hoses attached to the air spring and compressor with soap/foam water. I did not see any bubbles of air. I am puzzled since I just cannot find the air leakage yet. I am wondering what else can cause this air leakage and where to look to find the issue. Perhaps, I did not test correctly as well. Please let me know the best way to test it correctly. Any advice is highly appreciated!

Last edited by vladc77; 12-31-2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-31-2020, 12:36 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
Have you scanned for codes? Does the truck lose height in one corner more than the others? What about the front? Any change in height there? Visually you may not be able to tell, but you could measure the heights in each corner. Codes could tell you where the problem might be.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 502 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Search the forum for how to replace your rear airbags. They are leaking.

$300 and 30 minutes if you DIY it.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:56 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
I scanned the vehicle using Xentry for any error codes. I did not find any airmatic related codes. The problem occurs only with one right rear air spring. All other corners are very stable. Now, I am thinking it could be a Suspension Self-Leveling Valve. what is the best way to test it?

Last edited by vladc77; 12-31-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:03 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
Max Blast, did you mean air spring? If Yes, I replaced them already. I am not sure if rear airbag leakage may affect leakage of any of air springs. Did you experience that?
Old 12-31-2020, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 180 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Your car has springs and shock absorbers. Shock absorbers can leak oil and when they do, it’s time to replace them. There is no way possible for a shock absorber to affect vehicle height.

springs on GL are rubber airbags, which like shock absorbers are limited life items. A leaking air spring can affect vehicle eight.

For GL rear suspension, springs and shocks are separate components. At front they are combined into a single unit, usually called a strut.
The following users liked this post:
HopefullyE63 (01-27-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 08:05 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
lkchris, thank you for clarifying. I am totally aware about that. My mistake with the title. I always was referring to having issues with air springs - rubber airbags.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:29 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
In addition, I tested Pneumatic Suspension Valve for air leak. I did not find any leakage as well.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:39 PM

GL550 X164
Originally Posted by vladc77
I scanned the vehicle using Xentry for any error codes. I did not find any airmatic related codes. The problem occurs only with one right rear air spring. All other corners are very stable. Now, I am thinking it could be a Suspension Self-Leveling Valve. what is the best way to test it?
Noy sure what you mean by self leveling valve. Each corner has a sensor which is responsible for detecting the height of the vehicle in that corner. It may not be working, or it may be stuck. Check the arms of the sensor. The arms are connected to the sensors with *****/sockets. If the ***** are seized in the sockets, it could be the reason you're seeing a difference in height.

I had an issue with one sensor being seized which made the vehicle look not levelled. It did not look slammed in my case, but it may in yours. I soaked the joint in diesel to penetrate the grime and with gentle motion helped it regain its mobility. You can pop the ball out of the socket and use some grease to lubricate it before reassembly, which I did as well.

Is your rear getting slammed on both sides?
Old 12-31-2020, 11:02 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
epl0rer,

I referred to this self leveling valve - https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/AI-2123200358

Thank you for the tip to check sensors. I will check again. Last time I looked there, I tried it to turn it and wasn't stuck or anything like that. However, the level of the rear end side comes to normal height as soon as I turn the engine on. I assume the leveling check happens after that. So, It seems like that sensor does the job correctly. Otherwise, the vehicle would never level this side back to normal. The rear side levels down only after a week on not using the vehicle. This side goes down very SLOW. I really have hard time identifying what causing that.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:11 PM

GL550 X164
epl0rer,

I referred to this self leveling valve - https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/AI-2123200358

Thank you for the tip to check sensors. I will check again. Last time I looked there, I tried it to turn it and wasn't stuck or anything like that. However, the level of the rear end side comes to normal height as soon as I turn the engine on. I assume the leveling check happens after that. So, It seems like that sensor does the job correctly. Otherwise, the vehicle would never level this side back to normal. The rear side levels down only after a week on not using the vehicle. This side goes down very SLOW. I really have hard time identifying what causing that.
The signs lead towards a leak in one or both rear bags. You've replaced them, but from what you're seeing/saying, there seems to be a leak there. You could manipulate the rear bags with DAS and perhaps isolate which side is the culprit. I'd be looking at replacing those if it were me.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 502 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
If you’ve recently replaced your rear air bags check the hose connection for any leaks using leak detection spray.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:05 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
Max_Blast, thank you for the suggestion. I did that before. I am going to double check. I assume it should be only the air bag or Pneumatic Suspension Valve. I don't see what else can cause it.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Smile

May be the hose connection leaking on the air pump body located under the right front fender just below the right front head light. The electronic air distribution body works with the leveling regulator arms and the air pump to change the amount of air to each of the four corners of the vehicle as needed. If connector to the right rear corner is loose or cracked, it will allow for air to escape when the vehicle is not running. As soon as you start the vehicle and the sensors recognize the height is low - the system probably pushes a sufficient stream to the port and pumps you up to the proper height - and probably tops it off throughout each journey as needed.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:29 AM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
mrgrmoore, thank you for recommendations. I believe I figure out what was the problem. I tested air leak from the rear air bag a again and a bit long using soap water. So, I identified very small air leak from CONNECTOR 0003270369. I tightened this up a bit more and it seems to stop air leakage. I will wait for a week to find out if it will fully resolve the air leak. It was not easy to find since the air leak was very minimal. It will be the cheapest fix If that will resolve the issue.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 589 Likes on 496 Posts
2007 GL450
mrgrmoore, thank you for recommendations. I believe I figure out what was the problem. I tested air leak from the rear air bag a again and a bit long using soap water. So, I identified very small air leak from CONNECTOR 0003270369. I tightened this up a bit more and it seems to stop air leakage. I will wait for a week to find out if it will fully resolve the air leak. It was not easy to find since the air leak was very minimal. It will be the cheapest fix If that will resolve the issue.
Soapy Wooder to the rescue again!

Congrats. Easy fixes give a real rush when you find them, am I right?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:35 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
Agree! Thank you!