GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Air Ride Failure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Exclamation Air Ride Failure!

Hi, having an issue with my Air struts and looking for some help. My Air compressor and front right strut were failing so I replaced both and had no issues for about 6 months. In the last month I have been getting the Air ride malfunction and it appeared that the front right strut was lower again but now the system has completely failed and none of the air struts are working? Would appreciate any suggestions before I start taking the car apart again! Thank you
Old 01-03-2021, 06:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 G37X
Originally Posted by windsor21
Hi, having an issue with my Air struts and looking for some help. My Air compressor and front right strut were failing so I replaced both and had no issues for about 6 months. In the last month I have been getting the Air ride malfunction and it appeared that the front right strut was lower again but now the system has completely failed and none of the air struts are working? Would appreciate any suggestions before I start taking the car apart again! Thank you

Check your fuses. I believe there are 2 40 amp fuses in the front fuse box and 1 15amp in the rear. Make sure none are blown.

Also, check the relays. Apparently there have been some cases of relays getting stuck on/off.

Id start with that and work your way up.

I actually ordered a mb scan tool from amazon to diagnose my air suspension on my newly acquired 2010 gl350. Front sagged and rear ok, with no compressor running. Turns out a 40 amp fuse was missing, and the rear 15amp was blown. Reinstalled new fuses and im back in business!
Old 01-03-2021, 06:43 PM

GL450
Will do! Thank you. I forgot to mention that I hear the compressor running but nothing is happening now on any of the air struts.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 601 Likes on 509 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Because the other three are blown?
Old 01-03-2021, 07:31 PM

2010 G37X
Or you have a leak somewhere. Check the valve block for issues as well.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:11 PM

GL450
Thank you, I am going to check the valve block as the compressor is running but none of the air struts (front or back ) are raising. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2021, 02:37 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Will do! Thank you. I forgot to mention that I hear the compressor running but nothing is happening now on any of the air struts.
Based on your symptoms, your compressor might be shot. Despite hearing it run, it might not be compressing the air (perhaps due to a crack in the enclosure), hence not delivering it to the air tank and not distributing to the springs. I would start there.

Remove the supply hose at the compressor and see what kind of air flow you are getting (connect a pressure gauge in its place for precision, if you have one).
Old 01-04-2021, 02:40 PM

GL450
Hi, Sounds like a plan, its a new compressor only one year so I have the warranty still and was going to see about replacing it as well. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2021, 11:14 AM

GL450
So a quick update. All four air bags have inflated and are holding air but still getting the air ride malfunction on the dashboard? Any thoughts? Thank you
Old 01-05-2021, 02:46 PM

2010 G37X
Without a scan tool it may be difficult to pinpoint where the malfunction is.

I bought one off amazon for around $200 cad thinking id need it. But its sitting in its box with the wrap still on lol. Im keeping it as i KNOW i will be having air ride issues in the future.

Could be a finnicky valve block still. If it was one wheel dropped i would say check the sensor on that wheel.

There is also a page on google which i began using to diagnose my airride system. That may help.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/air-sus...isit-workshop/

Worth the read imo
Old 01-05-2021, 08:42 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
Originally Posted by s-350d
Without a scan tool it may be difficult to pinpoint where the malfunction is.

I bought one off amazon for around $200 cad thinking id need it. But its sitting in its box with the wrap still on lol. Im keeping it as i KNOW i will be having air ride issues in the future.

Could be a finnicky valve block still. If it was one wheel dropped i would say check the sensor on that wheel.

There is also a page on google which i began using to diagnose my airride system. That may help.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/air-sus...isit-workshop/

Worth the read imo
If you have an airbag leak, you may not see any codes related to that problem. One way to isolate the bags is to spray soapy water all over them and monitor for bubbles forming continuously. You could also listen for continuous air releasing from each of the bags. If you opt for soapy water and see the bubbles, the bag is leaking. While doing the soap water test, you can also spray the solenoid valve and the compressor lines to check for leaks there too. The compressor and/or the solenoid valve can produce codes. The malfunction message on your dash indicates that there is at least one code and a reader will be helpful to see the code(s).
Old 01-08-2021, 11:05 AM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Benz: 560 SEC, 2011 GL550 and other brands
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
Based on your symptoms, your compressor might be shot. Despite hearing it run, it might not be compressing the air (perhaps due to a crack in the enclosure), hence not delivering it to the air tank and not distributing to the springs. I would start there.

Remove the supply hose at the compressor and see what kind of air flow you are getting (connect a pressure gauge in its place for precision, if you have one).
THis, must test with a gauge if no diag tool available. Mine was making "pressure" as in it woudl push my finger away, btu thats not saying much. Cant really old anything over 30 or 40 psi ish and we need 100+ to lift the vehicle.
New comp it, everythign raises fine.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:54 AM

GL450
Thank you! Quick update. I installed a new battery in the car. which was causing a lot of issues. The Air ride system seems to work fine for now but as soon as it gets warmer I going to replace the compressor and the valve block.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Thank you! Quick update. I installed a new battery in the car. which was causing a lot of issues. The Air ride system seems to work fine for now but as soon as it gets warmer I going to replace the compressor and the valve block.
A weak battery causes a whole slew of problems.

The starter interacts with this, as a weak starter may pull a ton of current and accelerate the decline.

Both the starter and the battery should be replaced on first sign of trouble.

A leaky air bag will similarly precipitate decline in the air pump, by over-stressing it, so it should be replaced as soon as possible. If the leak is significant, I would put tire goo in the air bag, if possible. It's difficult with the rear but shouldn't be too hard for the front.

A weakening pump will give plenty of warning.

I'm puzzled by the valve block. It seems pretty robust. Some have suggested that corrosion inside the valves wrecks them; I'd guess that is a result of deficient moisture removal in the pump. Maybe that's a reason to not use a crummy Chinesium pump.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:04 AM

GL450
Thank you. My plan is to replace the starter, pump, and valve block in the spring so hopefully, it lasts till then!