GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Replacing my rear bags with Arnott, however one question/concern (towing)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2021 | 08:35 AM
C_R

2012 GL450
Question Replacing my rear bags with Arnott, however one question/concern (towing)

I'm planning on replacing both bags with Arnott on my 2012. (they recommend that they should be changed in pairs). However, I've read that someone is posting that the PSI on Arnott is too low (~100 psi ??) for towing? Seems like it's the same person leaving reviews everywhere. I'll be towing my Classic 1983 Jeep CJ-7 on a flatbed trailer.

Could those who tow and have used Arnott please chime in ASAP please and give me some advice. I need to order within the next couple of days. Are these bags OK for towing?

Also, How difficult is it to install the Arnott compressor? I've already bought that too.
I've also bought rear Bilstein Shocks for the rear as well. (passenger one leaked out oil)
So expect everything will be nice a tight.

Also, should I buy from FCP Euro that sells for $170 each or from rockauto that sells for $135. In either case, if I have a problem, would I contact Arnott directly or go through the company I order from?

Kind regards and thanking you in advance.

Last edited by C_R; 03-21-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2021 | 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Aren't most of your questions addressed in the GL Suspension Whoas thread? I don't understand why you're re-asking the questions. I suppose you are just wanting to make sure, but give the forum members more credit.

If I had installed Arnott air springs in the rear and had them blow out, leaving me stranded while I waited for replacements to arrive, I'd post all over the place too.

I pulled the 100psi rating picture off Arnott's web site. The reasoning for why this is inadequate are given in the thread.

You can figure out if the Arnott compressor you bought is made in China or made by AMK. I own a brand new Arnott compressor awaiting installation, and I just ordered an AMK compressor and will sell the Arnott because - see the label - made in China. If you are willing to install a Chinesium compressor, you can get a perfectly functioning one for about $150; that's what I did, and the only real downside is it probably won't last more than about 20k miles - which is how long the Arnott compressor lasted. And no, I don't have any leaky air springs, at least not grossly so.

I wouldn't bother installing the Arnott compressor if it is Chinesium. Read the thread; I observed that some Arnott compressors are AMK; if you bought one of those, go ahead.

You can get an old stock Arnott AMK compressor on Amazon. P-2594.

Changing the compressor is only somewhat harder than changing the rear air springs.

If you insist on installing Arnott air springs in the rear, remove the crimp clamp and install a big stainless steel hose clamp. That might void the warranty, so maybe put the hose clamp on top of the crimped band. I don't know if that would work. The air spring material itself is probably more than strong enough, but the crimp clamp is apparently the weak link. Again, read the thread.

Finally, a gentle recommendation: Don't fiddle around with fonts, italics, and so forth. Just write.

Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
C_R (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021 | 09:47 AM

2012 gl450
Hello I replaced my back airbags with Bilstein and my compressor was made by them as well. From what I hear it’s a safe bet going with them
C_R (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021 | 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Pmanc
Hello I replaced my back airbags with Bilstein and my compressor was made by them as well.
Note from the other thread: I found a Bilstein compressor that appears to be made by AMK. I'm curious if you can find the a part number sticker on it with the AMK logo. See the picture.
Old 03-21-2021 | 11:34 AM
C_R

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Aren't most of your questions addressed in the GL Suspension Whoas thread? I don't understand why you're re-asking the questions. I suppose you are just wanting to make sure, but give the forum members more credit.

If I had installed Arnott air springs in the rear and had them blow out, leaving me stranded while I waited for replacements to arrive, I'd post all over the place too.

I pulled the 100psi rating picture off Arnott's web site. The reasoning for why this is inadequate are given in the thread.

You can figure out if the Arnott compressor you bought is made in China or made by AMK. I own a brand new Arnott compressor awaiting installation, and I just ordered an AMK compressor and will sell the Arnott because - see the label - made in China. If you are willing to install a Chinesium compressor, you can get a perfectly functioning one for about $150; that's what I did, and the only real downside is it probably won't last more than about 20k miles - which is how long the Arnott compressor lasted. And no, I don't have any leaky air springs, at least not grossly so.

I wouldn't bother installing the Arnott compressor if it is Chinesium. Read the thread; I observed that some Arnott compressors are AMK; if you bought one of those, go ahead.

Changing the compressor is only somewhat harder than changing the rear air springs.

If you insist on installing Arnott air springs in the rear, remove the crimp clamp and install a big stainless steel hose clamp. That might void the warranty, so maybe put the hose clamp on top of the crimped band. I don't know if that would work. The air spring material itself is probably more than strong enough, but the crimp clamp is apparently the weak link. Again, read the thread.

Finally, a gentle recommendation: Don't fiddle around with fonts, italics, and so forth. Just write.

Best of luck.
Thank you. Much appreciated. I did post in the other thread about Bilstein bags (which I'm now considering) but rockauto has the best price and no longer seem to be authorized seller for Bilstein and so the warranty on them is 90 days?

Last edited by C_R; 03-21-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2021 | 11:35 AM
C_R

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by Pmanc
Hello I replaced my back airbags with Bilstein and my compressor was made by them as well. From what I hear it’s a safe bet going with them

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
Old 03-21-2021 | 11:51 AM
C_R

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd

Best of luck.
Originally Posted by C_R
Thank you. Much appreciated. I did post in the other thread about Bilstein bags (which I'm now considering) but rockauto has the best price and no longer seem to be authorized seller for Bilstein and so the warranty on them is 90 days?

Sorry Eric, corrected. I meat to write "Bilstein bags (which I'm now considering)".

Old 03-21-2021 | 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by C_R
I would probably go with Arnott struts in the front and Bilstein bags in the rear. The rear bags are subject to possible heavy loading due to towing. It will all depend on your tongue weight and also, as the OP of that thread pointed out, the ADS system (which you have or don't) being used to offset body roll. I towed a big U-haul trailer, but I seriously doubt the tongue weight was anywhere near the 660# he claimed.

The bags aren't expensive. You could get a pair of Bilsteins and keep them in the truck with you when you tow. That and a floor jack - and if you end up with a blown-out Arnott bag, swap the Bilstein in until you get home and the Arnott replacement arrives.

Honestly, none of the suspension products, short of Chinesium, are likely to have actual defects. The warranty is against normal wear - you're lucky to get 60K miles out of them - and, in Arnott's case, being under-designed. I would put Bilsteins on the rear and just put up with the lack of free replacement when they wear out. Or I would put a big hose clamp to replace or supplement the crimp clamp on the Arnott.

Or carry with you a pair of Bilstein air bags, using them to get you home, inflicting the wear on the Arnotts. Or swap in the Bilsteins when you have to tow, leaving the Arnotts to absorb the non towing everyday mileage. If you are determined to enjoy the warranty, I would pick one of these two options, depending on how frequently you tow and your tolerance for doing repairs by the side of the road.

Install a Chinesium, Arnott or otherwise, compressor because you don't mind having a non functional Airmatic while you wait for the Arnott replacement to arrive.

Whatever you do, avoid Chinesium valve blocks. The one I bought was non functional right out of the box. Not that one of the valves didn't work; as far as I could tell, none of them worked!
C_R (03-21-2021)