GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Anyone replace sunroof seal on X164/W164 chassis?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2021 | 07:41 PM

2012 GL350, 2014 GLK250
Anyone replace sunroof seal on X164/W164 chassis?

Hey Guys,

Maybe I am on the wrong track here. Have a couple weird things going on.
Main thing is that when i took my GL through car wash, i could feel some water dropplets from the sunroof (i think) as the jets passed over it. Happened more than once. When exiting and the air gets are dying the car it seems to blow water from the wash in.
the other thing is that i hear dripping whenever it rains. Very distinct sporadic drip sound and i cannot trace where it is coming from. But sounds like it is somewhere withing the cabin. Probably not related to the first thing, but thought i would mention it.

I checked the seal around the sunroof, the rubber seems very thin and plasticky, not rubbery. So i am hoping that is the reason water gets in. Looks like new seal is about 150CAD. Has anyone replaced this? Is it a big ordeal? I have WIS and will look it up, but figured someone may share experience, maybe shortcuts?

Thank you guys
Old 05-30-2021 | 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Could be it, but as a limitation of their design you will get some water in which then drains down the a-(or is it b) pillars through drain tubes. So check those for obstructions. If these are blocked, the runoff has nowhere to go but into the cabin an onto to your head.

Three other suspect locations are 1) the cabin air filter box through the cabin blower fan and into the battery compartment under the passenger seat - this happens if the drain in the cabin filter box is clogged and 2) rear taillight gaskets and into the spare tire area; and 3) from small cracks in the third row sunroof into the spare tire area.

sensitive electronics live in the spare tire area as well as under both front seats, so find and close any leaks ASAP.

Last edited by Max Blast; 05-30-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2021 | 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
I need to replace mine due to wind noise. The damn seal is ridiculously overpriced for what it is. It doesn't seal tightly even when new. You can tesr the seal by inserting a piece of paper in the gap and feeling the resistance. Make sure yoyr sunroof drains are clear, blow them out with compressed air.
To replace the seal you'll need to remove the 2 sunroof bellows on each side then 6 torx screws, all this from inside the car. Lift the glass off and replace the seal, it's a simple press fit. I hate sunroofs, never use them, it's just something else to leak or break.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 05-30-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2021 | 09:43 PM

2012 GL350, 2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Could be it, but as a limitation of their design you will get some water in which then drains down the a-(or is it b) pillars through drain tubes. So check those for obstructions. If these are blocked, the runoff has nowhere to go but into the cabin an onto to your head.

Three other suspect locations are 1) the cabin air filter box through the cabin blower fan and into the battery compartment under the passenger seat - this happens if the drain in the cabin filter box is clogged and 2) rear taillight gaskets and into the spare tire area; and 3) from small cracks in the third row sunroof into the spare tire area.

sensitive electronics live in the spare tire area as well as under both front seats, so find and close any leaks ASAP.

Thanks for reply! I read about #3 already. When i glanced over the rear moonroof, i did not see cracks, maybe i do not know what to look for.
#1 and #2 i have first hand experience with fried rear sam that i had to replace, and corroded front sam that i was able to clean up and save. But that was on old ML, i jave checked this on GL and everything seems dry. Also changed battery since i got the GL, no indication that there was ever water down there.

I looked up instructions for the sunroof. Is it really just removing 2 bolts on each side?! I must be missing something. Then the seal replacement just says to remove the sliding window, then remove the rubber seal. Does not say how, so i assume i just pull it off? Seems suspiciously easy to do.
Old 05-30-2021 | 09:46 PM

2012 GL350, 2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
I need to replace mine due to wind noise. The damn seal is ridiculously overpriced for what it is. You'll need to remove the 2 sunroof bellows on each side then 6 torx screws, all this from inside the car. Lift the glass off and replace the seal, it's a simple press fit. I hate sunroofs, never use them, it's just something else to leak or break.
Hey thanks for the reply! And thanks for confirming that it is just that simple. I was worried i would have to pull half the roof off. Maybe i can get to it this week. The alignment process looks a bit daunting, but it is probably over-explained and straight forward.
Old 05-31-2021 | 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
My instructions are for the standard sunroof. Do you have a pano roof?
Old 05-31-2021 | 07:08 PM

2012 GL350, 2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
My instructions are for the standard sunroof. Do you have a pano roof?
No regular x164 roof. Sunroof in front moonroof in back
The following users liked this post:
E55Greasemonkey (06-01-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 12:35 AM

2012 GL350, 2014 GLK250
If anyone comes across with a question about this, I have replaced the seal. I did not use any lubricant like WIS tells you. The old seal pulls right off with some force. The challenge is not stretching the new one over the sunroof as I though, bit rather pushing the "locking groove" of the seal into the sunroof channel. I did it by tilting the seal in, so one side(outer) goes in the groove, then I used a liner remover (bit any dull tool will work) to brews the other side of the seal in and pushing down on the seal with my thumb.

The sliding roof is very easy to remove. The "bellows" (rubber accordion pieces) pull right off when the sunroof is tilted. The 3 screws per side are right there.

The following users liked this post:
2012gl450 (10-11-2021)
Old 09-22-2023 | 10:07 PM

GL320 2007
Originally Posted by Misha_
If anyone comes across with a question about this, I have replaced the seal. I did not use any lubricant like WIS tells you. The old seal pulls right off with some force. The challenge is not stretching the new one over the sunroof as I though, bit rather pushing the "locking groove" of the seal into the sunroof channel. I did it by tilting the seal in, so one side(outer) goes in the groove, then I used a liner remover (bit any dull tool will work) to brews the other side of the seal in and pushing down on the seal with my thumb.
I have a similar issue. Did replacing the seal help stop the leaking?
Old 09-22-2023 | 10:29 PM

2012 GL350, 2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by alive19
I have a similar issue. Did replacing the seal help stop the leaking?
It made it better but sometimes when going through car wash a tiny bit would still get through. I thought it is because I did not align the sunroof perfectly enough when installing, but It only happened once or twice since then. As opposed to every time