GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Dash display went crazy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320
Dash display went crazy

Last week a customer came to my store in 2015 ML350. They had bought lunch at a fast food place and were sitting by the docs with car running and AC on when the got the messages ESP not available and speedo went full scale and push button start quit working.
yesterday I had basically the same thing happen to my 2009 GL450 while eating lunch with the AC on high.. In addition, the outside temperature on the dash showed 120 degrees although it was only about 80 outside.
Has anyone else had this happen and what was the cause. I have a feeling, actually I hope, that it is a bad battery.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:51 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
I see a trend. Eating lunch in the car with AC on. I'd stop eating lunch either in the car, or with the AC on. Just kidding.

I think you're on the right track. Look at and test battery first. How old is the battery?
The following 2 users liked this post by expl0rer:
a2j (06-09-2021), Rhino4646 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 05:36 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by expl0rer
I see a trend. Eating lunch in the car with AC on. I'd stop eating lunch either in the car, or with the AC on. Just kidding.

I think you're on the right track. Look at and test battery first. How old is the battery?
as you probably know, the battery is not easy to get to, but I'll load test it when I get home. We've only owned the car 8 months, so no telling how old the battery is.
I think we'll dine in next stop rather than eating in the car...lol
Old 06-07-2021, 05:49 PM

GL550 X164
Originally Posted by Rhino4646
as you probably know, the battery is not easy to get to, but I'll load test it when I get home. We've only owned the car 8 months, so no telling how old the battery is.
I think we'll dine in next stop rather than eating in the car...lol
I can't convince my wife to eat in the car most of the time. She prefers to dine in. I prefer to chow and drive, just to make headway and not lose an hour. I eat to live, she lives to eat.

Battery access is not as easy as other cars under the hood, but not terrible. MB could have stuck it in much worse places. If you have a scanner handy, you may be able to read voltage values with it. I use an iCarSoft MB II. The V8 module data stream is where I can read the voltage before crank, during crank, and the car running. You can also measure with multimeter at the contact points under the hood (front passenger for the left handed drive specimens). To load test, not sure if you can use the contact points or not.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:59 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by expl0rer
I can't convince my wife to eat in the car most of the time. She prefers to dine in. I prefer to chow and drive, just to make headway and not lose an hour. I eat to live, she lives to eat.

Battery access is not as easy as other cars under the hood, but not terrible. MB could have stuck it in much worse places. If you have a scanner handy, you may be able to read voltage values with it. I use an iCarSoft MB II. The V8 module data stream is where I can read the voltage before crank, during crank, and the car running. You can also measure with multimeter at the contact points under the hood (front passenger for the left handed drive specimens). To load test, not sure if you can use the contact points or not.
I just got the iCarSoft MBII and it is a lifesaver. Used it to reset when the described problem happened, but have not learned all the function. I'll look into the live data stream function. Best $150 I ever spent.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:02 PM

ML320
I just got the iCarSoft MBII and it is a lifesaver. Used it to reset when the described problem happened, but have not learned all the function. I'll look into the live data stream function. Best $150 I ever spent.
your wife sounds like mine..lol
We are driving cross country and she wants to stop, eat and shop. I want to get there this lifetime.
The following users liked this post:
a2j (06-09-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:44 PM

GL550 X164
It pays for itself with one use. I've been using it for all kinds of things now and sometimes drive and look at live data just for the hell of it.

To get to the V8 module, instead of auto scan, select Manual and I think it is on the second page, or maybe first? Go intoGthe module, then live data stream and select the idle or cold start option. They're the first two on the list. Then look for the voltage, may need to scroll a screen or two. You have to have the dash lights on to get into the live data. Dash lights on, motor not running, (two presses on the push start without the brake engaged) gives you pre crank volts. For the crank voltage, keep a close eye on the volts as you start the car. You'll get the lowest voltage your battery sees when you're cranking. Mine goes as low as 10.8V, IIRC. Once you have the car running, the voltage should be 14V+. Mine is between 14.02 amd 14.12V (alternator charging the battery).
Rhino4646 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:47 PM

GL550 X164
your wife sounds like mine..lol
We are driving cross country and she wants to stop, eat and shop. I want to get there this lifetime.
Mine is not crazy about shopping, but makes up for dining in. Like you, I just want to get there and prove the GPS wrong about its initial timing. Sometimes I wonder if she's in cahoots with the GPS.
The following 2 users liked this post by expl0rer:
a2j (06-09-2021), Rhino4646 (06-07-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:59 PM

ML320
Service C

Also wanting to find out what a "Service C" involves. Dealer was not much help. He suggested I bring the car in, but would not say what a Service C involved or give me a price. Since the nearest MB Dealer is over 4 hours away I would rather do it myself or have it done locally. From what I can find online it is nothing more than an oil change and fluid level check. If so, how do I reset the system to recognize the service..
Another question: is there a update for navigation on the command center? So many new roads that it doesn't recognize.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Also wanting to find out what a "Service C" involves. Dealer was not much help. He suggested I bring the car in, but would not say what a Service C involved or give me a price. Since the nearest MB Dealer is over 4 hours away I would rather do it myself or have it done locally. From what I can find online it is nothing more than an oil change and fluid level check. If so, how do I reset the system to recognize the service..
Another question: is there a update for navigation on the command center? So many new roads that it doesn't recognize.
oil change, air filter and cabin air filter iirc

google “maintenance mode x164” and ye shall find.
Rhino4646 (07-16-2021)