GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL350 Won't Start - Latest Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 09:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by chassis
Need more data. How/when/where does it happen? Do a series of controlled experiments using all combinations of all HVAC controls (temp, fan speed, vent modes), cold start, warm start, highway speed, city traffic, parking lot at idle. Give us the full load of data to work with.

Inspect from above using a bright LED flashlight. Crawl under the vehicle and lay on the floor looking up from below. Look closely at the starter from below.

What are you seeing/hearing/smelling?
The odor begins at engine start, so cold starts. Climate control set to auto at 72 with external temperatures floating around 60s. I will try different experiments to see if it varies. Odor will stay around for quite some time and I believe it either dissipates or I just get used to it. I plan to investigate later today under the hood.

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
​​​​​​this hot electric smell could well be your cabin blower motor and mosfet/resistor on high current.

Since this fan moves all the air you're breathing, it has first hand at mixing in the smell of its hot brushes.

A lot of these Eastern Europe sleeve bearing blower come from factory with a light lubricant and start whistling by 30kMi. The soft brushes crumble prematurely to move the tight spindle.

You said filters have been changed... including cabin filter behind the glove box??

Besides that the air separation between the cabin and the engine bay is fair so you can pretty much assume it is rare to get engine fumes near occupants.
Yes, all air filters replaced, including the cabin filter.

Originally Posted by Max Blast
you need to go tell your service advisor to think about that one again. Bunch of bull**** right there.
I agree MaxBlast. They have received an email regarding the odor still being there. I'm going to look though the engine bay later today.