GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

do I really need to replace heater core when I replacing evaporator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2021 | 11:50 PM

GL550
do I really need to replace heater core when I replacing evaporator

I am doing my evaporator coil. My compressor was dead. Initially I replaced compressor and dryer. Ac blows cold air. But I always get those oil smell when I turn on my car. I hate to admit, but it is highly possible evaporator coil leaks. Then after one month, I found driver side is not as code as passenger side. No doubt, refringent is leaking.

Finally, I made my decision to replace my evaporator coil. I will post pictures later. I also purchased heater core, Valeo brand, which is the oem. But the old heater core looks really nice and clean. It certainly won't take too much time to replace it, but I am kind of hesitate to replace the genius MB core with OEM one, even they came from same manufacturer. And the old one looks really good.

So what do you think? I need your comments. Thanks a lot!

Old 09-08-2022 | 01:56 AM

GL550 2008 4JGBF86E58A313619, Sprinter 2022
@cztexas can you share the details of the X164 evaporator replace job? like instructions, pictures, tools used, part number, etc. I'm afraid I'll have to do the same to my 2008 GL550 and it's a hard one. appreciate it!
Old 09-08-2022 | 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by cztexas
I am doing my evaporator coil. My compressor was dead. Initially I replaced compressor and dryer. Ac blows cold air. But I always get those oil smell when I turn on my car. I hate to admit, but it is highly possible evaporator coil leaks. Then after one month, I found driver side is not as code as passenger side. No doubt, refringent is leaking.

Finally, I made my decision to replace my evaporator coil. I will post pictures later. I also purchased heater core, Valeo brand, which is the oem. But the old heater core looks really nice and clean. It certainly won't take too much time to replace it, but I am kind of hesitate to replace the genius MB core with OEM one, even they came from same manufacturer. And the old one looks really good.

So what do you think? I need your comments. Thanks a lot!
I replaced my radiator. Really a shame because the aluminum core was in perfect shape and the side tanks were fine, but the rubber gasket had developed a leak.

Those clamps you see holding the tubes on undoubtedly have rubber o-rings inside. The metal is all fine; the rubber is near if not at the end of its life. Given the labor involved I would certainly replace the heater core.
Old 09-08-2022 | 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
P.S. How the heck does that heater core work? I don't see a path from one side to the other. Is this why the cabin heater works not very well?
Old 09-09-2022 | 01:43 AM

GL550 2008 4JGBF86E58A313619, Sprinter 2022
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
I replaced my radiator. Really a shame because the aluminum core was in perfect shape and the side tanks were fine, but the rubber gasket had developed a leak.
you replaced your radiator? or you meant condenser? or evaporator?
Old 09-09-2022 | 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by k649
you replaced your radiator? or you meant condenser? or evaporator?
Radiator. The thing that cools the coolant. Behind the condensor.

There might be little rubber gaskets under those clamps. Or there might be o-rings. The heater core is cheap enough, I'd just replace it.
Old 09-20-2022 | 10:57 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by k649
@cztexas can you share the details of the X164 evaporator replace job? like instructions, pictures, tools used, part number, etc. I'm afraid I'll have to do the same to my 2008 GL550 and it's a hard one. appreciate it!
Sorry for late response. While, I did take lots of pictures and videos but not really have time to edit it yet. it will take longer time, slow down and step by step. I marked all the connectors and locations just in case messed up something, but seems all the connectors are different. Mercedes designed it in nice way.
Let me know if you need anything.
Old 11-18-2022 | 02:27 PM

1993 W124 300E 2.8
Originally Posted by cztexas
Sorry for late response. While, I did take lots of pictures and videos but not really have time to edit it yet. it will take longer time, slow down and step by step. I marked all the connectors and locations just in case messed up something, but seems all the connectors are different. Mercedes designed it in nice way.
Let me know if you need anything.
Very interested in instructions with pictures and videos. My GL550 has very poor heating, probably due to a clogged heater core. Guess I will be going through the process soon.

Matt