GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Airmatic System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Airmatic System

My 2012 GL550 has cost me close to $5000 replacing front air shocks and rear bags and it’s still not right lol. Rear driver side still sagging. I should’ve just spent the money to convert to regular shocks because this system is a night mare.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:02 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by jsivieri
My 2012 GL550 has cost me close to $5000 replacing front air shocks and rear bags and it’s still not right lol. Rear driver side still sagging. I should’ve just spent the money to convert to regular shocks because this system is a night mare.
Was the height sensor, changed or adjusted?
Old 01-16-2022, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
Was the height sensor, changed or adjusted?
No, I’ve been told it’s the valve block that’s leaking and the compressor needs to be changed. The quote I received for that was over $2k to do.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Either of those are about $350 and 30 minutes a piece to remove and replace on your own.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2012 gl450
It’s so true the more you know how to do the more you can save really save money
Old 01-17-2022, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pmanc
It’s so true the more you know how to do the more you can save really save money
In fact, it’s the only way for a decade old MB.
This car will eat your lunch and dinner money if you let the dealer at it.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:22 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2012 gl450
Absolutely 👍🏻
Old 01-17-2022, 06:20 PM

Received 96 Likes on 89 Posts
2006 R500
Originally Posted by Pmanc
So much this... if you have to have a Mercedes with all the bells and whistles, either only own one within warranty or learn how to fix it yourself.

We have a friend with an Acura MDX that had adaptive shocks. The cost of the OEM shocks was $800 each, not including labor, with no aftermarket options available. Makes our $350 new OE Bilstein or $250 rebuilt Arnott seem cheap in comparison.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So now that we told OP to become a master mechanic overnight, Exactly what are the symptoms and the failure modes? I see something about one wheel being lower than the other. That could be a multitude of things; possibly a missing calibration; possibly a slow leak anywhere from the bag to the valve box, possibly a leak in the valve block itself.

this leak is probably what ate the compressor and needs fixed first. OP; search this forum for how to replace the compressor yourself - it is one of the easiest repairs you can do on the airmatic system of this car. That’s followed by replacing one or two rear air springs, which is a little bit more involved.

Last edited by Max Blast; 01-17-2022 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GL550
2012 GL550 Air Leakage

I recently purchased a 2012 GL550. A few days after purchasing I notice the Rt Rear appears to be lower/lowering. The drivability wasn't the best in terms of road riding smoothness. Nothing wrong with engine or transmission. Felt like tires needed to be replaced and alignment was needed. I noticed both front tires were significantly worn on the inside of the tread pattern. Had an alignment done in Florida where I purchased the vehicle. It certainly drove better but still had a womp womp womp when driving. Drove the vehicle from Florida back home to Myrtle Beach, SC. When I got back home I replaced all 4 tires with New Continental set. Drivability issue solved! Drove like a dream! During the next 2 weeks I continued noticing the Rt side appeared to be deflated all the way down after the vehicle sat overnight. I never kept track of the time frame it took for the vehicle to deflate. I would only notice the next morning after it sat overnight. When driving through my condo parking lot one morning to Starbucks to get the day started, BOOM! sounded like a cannon and the Rt Rear immediately dropped down. I proceed to go park the vehicle amd inspect the area. Through the wheel I can see the airbag has exploded. Eventually, the Rt Front dropped completely down as well. I ordered a new Arnott Airbag and installed 5 days later. The vehicle was not driven at all once parked in the day of the blowout. After installation I cranked vehicle up and it inflated and looked to be fine. I did, however, notice the right side appeared to be slightly lower than the left side. I took measurements on each wheel from tip center of rim to bottom of flare. The Rt Front was approximately ¾" lower than Lt Front and Rt Rear was just under ½" lower than Lt Rear. 2 hours after installation, Rt Front was all the way down. Rt Rear (where airbag was replaced) appeared to be ok or maybe down just a little. I read somewhere to put in Sport mode (then let sit for 3 minutes), Put in Towing or "Load Hauling Mode" (let sit for 3 minutes), then put back in "Normal" mode (and let sit for 3 minutes. Tjis process was to regulate or "recalibrate" the Airmatic System. I completed the process. The next morning everything appeared to be fine. No obvious deflation of Rt Side bags. I left for Florida the same morning and drive 543 miles the day after replacing with no issues. I arrived here this past Sunday. Everything has been fine other than the very slightly lowered Rt Side (both rt front and rt rear within ¾" lower than lt side front and rear) as mentioned earlier in my post, until this morning! Rt Front was completely down again. I literally backed out of the driveway (vehicle was fine) let my wife out, and pulled back in. 3 hours later Rt Front was down completely. I do remember hearing a shot of air that sounded almost like a blow off valve when I turned the vehicle off and then closed and locked the door. Thought nothing of it as I had previously heard the same noise but it was when the vehicle was running, compressor kicked on, and then went off. Left around 1pm to run a few errands and got back around 530pm. Went back out at 715pm and Rt front is down again. Bother Rt & Lt Front tires/wheels appear to be leaning inward at top as if the tire isn't sitting completely flat on surface.

The vehicle Carfax when purchased had a decent service history with around 30-35 service pings in the last 10-11 years. I am going to start calling the vendors in attempts to document what was done at each service but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I am under the impression the Rt Front shock/strut/suspension airbag needs to be replaced which is currently going to be my next move. I am very thankful to have found this forum as I ALWAYS do my own repairs and services to my vehicle. Short of it taking a scanner or computer, I can do damn near anything (not to toot my own horn).

I have a nice list of things I am going to do such as upgrade brakes, rotors, and calipers as well as a small tune potentially. Other than this issue, the vehicle drives amazing and runs strong. Any and all help is very much appreciated and I look forward to exchanging knowledge with all of you. I have attached a picture of the blown Rt Rear Airbag that I have already replaced. Pretty gnarly

Blown Rt Rear Suspension Airbag
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (08-11-2022)