Guide to Replacing the Head Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 486 Posts
2007 GL450
Guide to Replacing the Head Unit

Here is how little I use the factory system: I mount my Garmin to the face plate with a suction cup.

Noodling with Torque got me thinking, though. Couldn't I get an Android head unit and set up some nifty displays, like actual engine temperature?

I really would like Bluetooth for my extensive audio collection. Or maybe even transfer the audio collection into the head unit's memory?

How do you go about finding an appropriate unit? Has anyone put together a basic guide?
Old 11-21-2022, 09:08 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2007 GL450 , 2012 BMW 528i
Yes, you can get Torque app and set up displays. I have done exactly that and all the other things that you mentioned. I have also put up a 5G wifi for kids' tablets and iPad.
I did the replacement about 2 years ago and it has been working awesome. I took pictures and understood the whole system at that time but never got around to do a write up but I have posted some pictures to help few other members with some connections.
All head units are made in China. Unfortunately that is the world we live in. Even brand names are made in China and I did a fair enough research back then. One could buy either one and still end up with same connections on back side. Best to choose a system with higher storage and ram (32GM/2GB).
In 2007 and 2008 models, one will have to do a physical wire connection for backup camera. 2007 and 2008s don't have any problems with FM reception but later models do.
You can search forum posts and although there is no one full guide but basically most of the questions have been answered.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,004 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
IPhone's are made in China - just saying.
The following users liked this post:
BlackML550 (11-23-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by TX07GL450
Yes, you can get Torque app and set up displays. I have done exactly that and all the other things that you mentioned. I have also put up a 5G wifi for kids' tablets and iPad.
I did the replacement about 2 years ago and it has been working awesome. I took pictures and understood the whole system at that time but never got around to do a write up but I have posted some pictures to help few other members with some connections.
All head units are made in China. Unfortunately that is the world we live in. Even brand names are made in China and I did a fair enough research back then. One could buy either one and still end up with same connections on back side. Best to choose a system with higher storage and ram (32GM/2GB).
In 2007 and 2008 models, one will have to do a physical wire connection for backup camera. 2007 and 2008s don't have any problems with FM reception but later models do.
You can search forum posts and although there is no one full guide but basically most of the questions have been answered.
Good tips.

To get started, what do I search for? "Android head unit mercedes"?

What unit did you get?
Old 11-22-2022, 09:52 PM

I got something like this from Ebay. I just got this now using a quick search from ebay as the one I purchased is not listed anymore. You'd want at least 2gb ram and 32gb storage (to load offline maps). It usually comes with CAN bus decoder and you can use mute and volume buttons from steering.
If you have Karmon Hardon system, you need MOST adapter too.
Following are links to some of the info posted by me and these threads are a good reading to get the knowledge. Maybe you can write a concise guide once you are done.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post8521543
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post8413635
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post8346983
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post8354332
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/av...ation.2375585/

Videos of installation process from You tube

https://youtu.be/4-Ub1D6DC-I
https://youtu.be/ryoAOcJWna8

Last edited by TX07GL450; 12-20-2022 at 10:56 PM.
eric_in_sd (11-25-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
I got something like this from Ebay. I just got this from a quick search from ebay as the one I purchased is not listed anymore. You want at least 2gb ram and 32gb storage (to load offline maps). It usually comes with CAN bus decoder and you can used mute and volume buttons from steering.
If you have karmon Hardon system, you need MOST adapter too.
Following are links to some of the info posted by me and these threads are a good reading to get the knowledge. Maybe you can write a concise guide once you are done.
TY ... Think I'll shop for the unit and install it once the weather warms a bit.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 GL 450
Joining this convo. I'd like to keep the steering wheel controls and possibly the 6 disc changer in the glovebox, but that's not critical. Are these head units able to control the rear screens as well? My rear DVD player is inoperable, so I've been using a laptop with RCA conversions cables to connect to the rear screens.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
Joining this convo. I'd like to keep the steering wheel controls and possibly the 6 disc changer in the glovebox, but that's not critical. Are these head units able to control the rear screens as well? My rear DVD player is inoperable, so I've been using a laptop with RCA conversions cables to connect to the rear screens.
fwiw I gutted my six-disc changer, and it now is discreet storage for a Springfield XD-9.
VinnySem (04-19-2023)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 GL 450
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
fwiw I gutted my six-disc changer, and it now is discreet storage for a Springfield XD-9.
Thankfully I don't live in a place that requires such.
Old 11-24-2022, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyv13
For CD changer, it might work because my unit did have Aux_in Left and right cables available. But it didn't seem practical for me to make it work since there were 2 usb connections, and virtually unlimited number of songs / videos could be loaded into usb drives.
For rear monitors, one might make it work by fishing or finding the right wires to rear monitors. My unit did have CVBS video out connections and CVBS in connections. My kids are now older and want to watch iPads and nintendo switch Instead. They are more happy that now they have a wifi available during long drives. Therefore I didn't want to look further into connecting rear monitors.
Following is the link to see the connections that my unit has.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/721294-gl450-mercedes-benz-ml-gl-9-8-0-oreo-4gb-ram-navigation-system-11.html#post8414478
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/721294-gl450-mercedes-benz-ml-gl-9-8-0-oreo-4gb-ram-navigation-system-11.html#post8414616

Last edited by TX07GL450; 11-24-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:18 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
2010 550 with NTG 2.5

I have been looking off and on at androids to replace he Comand. I have not pulled the trigger, yet. I have looked at several units and have decided for myself to opt for a 4GB RAM at minimum. 2 GB might be enough, but I have seen some reviewers not that happy with 2GB units. I've been tempted by their 6GB RAM/128GB unit. Plenty of memory for multitasking and storage. You could also expand with external memory, just need a USB splitter, I think.

I have the rear entertainment option so for me it would be preferable to have the rear screens running from the Android unit. I've almost settled on Xtrons as they seem to have the video out and splitter to feed the rear screens. Not entirely sure that it will work, though. 9 inch display and Android 12 are also a plus. Xtrons also comes with the facia for X164.

I also use XM but I'll lose that with Android in the sense that I don't see a unit which will use the sat service. I can use data to stream, but data is not always reliable where I live or when I travel.
eric_in_sd (11-25-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by expl0rer
2010 550 with NTG 2.5

I have been looking off and on at androids to replace he Comand. I have not pulled the trigger, yet. I have looked at several units and have decided for myself to opt for a 4GB RAM at minimum. 2 GB might be enough, but I have seen some reviewers not that happy with 2GB units. I've been tempted by their 6GB RAM/128GB unit. Plenty of memory for multitasking and storage. You could also expand with external memory, just need a USB splitter, I think.

I have the rear entertainment option so for me it would be preferable to have the rear screens running from the Android unit. I've almost settled on Xtrons as they seem to have the video out and splitter to feed the rear screens. Not entirely sure that it will work, though. 9 inch display and Android 12 are also a plus. Xtrons also comes with the facia for X164.

I also use XM but I'll lose that with Android in the sense that I don't see a unit which will use the sat service. I can use data to stream, but data is not always reliable where I live or when I travel.
Definitely go for it. I haven't heard anyone complain after they switched to Android. Its a big upgrade in terms of tech and visual aesthetics.
In terms of memory and storage, the bigger the better of course. I have had mine for 2 years and at that time 2gb/32gb was the best available. I haven't experienced any problem but I don't multi task either. At max it has a music + Waze or maps app going at the same time. If you would want to send video to rear monitors, put maps on and play music, then it might push 2gb/32gb to its limits or it might even not. One thing is that I usually don't find myself multitasking on it, since I am only using it while driving. I am only using one of the USB connection but it seems like I am the only one who plays music from usb. Everyone else in my household prefers to just put youtube on and listen to whatever. Apparently they find it easier to watch it on youtube (& suffer through ads) rather then searching through music library.
Using torque app, watching all the monitors, voltage, timing advance etc while driving has been very entertaining. Also, to be able to check stored/pending codes and clear the check engine light using torque app through head unit is another benefit.
eric_in_sd (11-25-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 08:58 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
Definitely go for it. I haven't heard anyone complain after they switched to Android. Its a big upgrade in terms of tech and visual aesthetics.
In terms of memory and storage, the bigger the better of course. I have had mine for 2 years and at that time 2gb/32gb was the best available. I haven't experienced any problem but I don't multi task either. At max it has a music + Waze or maps app going at the same time. If you would want to send video to rear monitors, put maps on and play music, then it might push 2gb/32gb to its limits or it might even not. One thing is that I usually don't find myself multitasking on it, since I am only using it while driving. I am only using one of the USB connection but it seems like I am the only one who plays music from usb. Everyone else in my household prefers to just put youtube on and listen to whatever. Apparently they find it easier to watch it on youtube (& suffer through ads) rather then searching through music library.
Using torque app, watching all the monitors, voltage, timing advance etc while driving has been very entertaining. Also, to be able to check stored/pending codes and clear the check engine light using torque app through head unit is another benefit.
Totally agree with you on the benefits of contemporary tech compared to the now antique Comand. And comand seems too bulky to operate as well. At least to me, the version I have.

I don't want to muddy up waters even more, but last year I had come across a Linux based unit with 8gb Ram and 128 gb storage. It had the rear entertainment connection and XM capability. Unfortunately by the time I made up my mind to buy it, it was no longer available. So I went back to the drawing board. I'm not in a hurry to get one, hence the procrastination on my part. I don't drive the car enough to say I need one sooner than later.