Part of the engine dirty from oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Part of the engine dirty from oil

Hi folks,
pleas help. I found part of the engine covered by the oil. It should not be there - I guess.I have no clue how long it is like this. Car: MB GL class 350 Bluetec (2015). What could it be? For more details see pictures. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,084 Likes on 871 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Try the diesel subforum. More owners there who share the same issues.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:08 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Try the diesel subforum. More owners there who share the same issues.
thx ill try
Old 05-02-2023, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Oil can leak out from many places. It will always show up at the lowest place due to gravity. Plus, wind can re-direct it on the way down. Regardless of the type of engine, the first thing to do is inspect closer. A leak is a leak is a leak and all engines can leak so the process is basically the same. Follow the trail. If you can't find the source (other than windage, it would be the highest spot you find a leak trail) because there's oil all over, the next step is to super clean the engine and then monitor closely. There's really nothing else we can tell you - there's no way for us to say "Oh, that leak is from "this spot".

HOWEVER... it does almost look like a leak is emanating from one of those bolts? You should be able to tell better than I can. Clean that area up spic-n-span and then monitor.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
It’s also a diesel, and these are known to leak oil from several spots. I would just have the engine cleaned off and monitor for any new leaks, and keep the oil topped off. You do not want to run this engine out of oil, it has a penchant for seizing.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:34 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by DennisG01
Oil can leak out from many places. It will always show up at the lowest place due to gravity. Plus, wind can re-direct it on the way down. Regardless of the type of engine, the first thing to do is inspect closer. A leak is a leak is a leak and all engines can leak so the process is basically the same. Follow the trail. If you can't find the source (other than windage, it would be the highest spot you find a leak trail) because there's oil all over, the next step is to super clean the engine and then monitor closely. There's really nothing else we can tell you - there's no way for us to say "Oh, that leak is from "this spot".

HOWEVER... it does almost look like a leak is emanating from one of those bolts? You should be able to tell better than I can. Clean that area up spic-n-span and then monitor.
Thank you guys. I will clean it asap. Will monitor.
But I think it is to dark for engine oil. Isn't it? I mean, could it be e.g. oil from turbo, or so... I am not car tech guy, just guessing...
Old 05-02-2023, 06:40 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by DennisG01

I forgot to answer... It is hard to say anything about source (bolts or so). It is dirty. I have to clean it first. I was just wondering if this is a common problem that experienced users would easily identify. I dont like repair ;-)
Old 05-02-2023, 06:42 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by Max Blast
It’s also a diesel, and these are known to leak oil from several spots. I would just have the engine cleaned off and monitor for any new leaks, and keep the oil topped off. You do not want to run this engine out of oil, it has a penchant for seizing.
Thx for your advice, Max!
Old 05-02-2023, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
The oil is dirty black (not necessarily bad) for two reasons... one, it's a diesel and two, it picks up contaminants as it travels along outside the engine. But, yes, it's engine oil.

Pull your dipstick... what color is the oil on it?

Max mentioned a "common" leak point for this particular diesel and that would be the oil cooler. However, leaks from there present on the backside of the engine - not the front.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:21 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
GL320 2007
This is different to my engine.

It looks like its on air intake, post turbo. Because of the oil that gets recycled through crank case ventilation, you will pull a lot of oil though here. Given it is pressurized, any bad seals will mean oil will leak from this part. Clean it up and hopefully you can find where it is coming from, but it is more cosmetic, unless there is enough air leakage to impact performance.

If you try and fix this, you'll want to replace all the orings on the post turbo intake tubes. Given the leak, it's likely they are old.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:46 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by alive19
This is different to my engine.

It looks like its on air intake, post turbo. Because of the oil that gets recycled through crank case ventilation, you will pull a lot of oil though here. Given it is pressurized, any bad seals will mean oil will leak from this part. Clean it up and hopefully you can find where it is coming from, but it is more cosmetic, unless there is enough air leakage to impact performance.

If you try and fix this, you'll want to replace all the orings on the post turbo intake tubes. Given the leak, it's likely they are old.
thank you! I hope I will find the time to clean it during this weekend and will replay… Thanks a lot
Old 05-21-2023, 01:13 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by mates001
thank you! I hope I will find the time to clean it during this weekend and will replay… Thanks a lot

so, I found something… What do you think? See picture…

Old 05-21-2023, 01:25 PM

GL350
I cleaned also another greasy part (oil pump?) and there is oil leak as well 😞 Any ideas guys? Please help👍

Last edited by mates001; 05-21-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:28 PM

GL350
I cleaned also another greasy part (oil pump?) and there is oil leak as well 😞 Any ideas guis? Please help👍

this was clean after cleaning…

Last edited by mates001; 05-21-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:43 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
08 GL320 CDI
😞 Any ideas guis? Please help👍
Ya, fix it.

Pull that drain plug off and replace whatever seal is there. Same for the Vac Pump. Pull the front plate off and replace the seal.