GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Extended Warranty

Anyone buy the extended on the 2013 GL450 or similar? I am looking at extended to "6 years or 75K" or "7 years or 100k." I expect this topic has come up before, but I am specifically interested in the MB warranty on the 2013 X166. I buy my cars (no leasing) and I do keep them. I expect with all of this technology and advanced features, it might be a good idea. I just need to decide if I will have it for 6 or 7 years at this point. I know I will not want to trade it prior to that point.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
I have it on both my cars right now. 2009 ML320 which has 7yrs 100k and 2012 E350BTC which is 7yrs 125k. Did they bring it back down to 100k again?

I like the peace of mind though honestly never had a claim. The warranty refund on the ML320 i am trading is proving more difficult than expected which is disappointing. On the new vehicle, if i purchase which I am leaning towards, I may just wait until the standard warranty is expiring even though I will pay the premium...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM

GL550
Did you get a quote for the 7yr/ 100k ? Leaning towards that for mine when it comes in...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
Anyone buy the extended on the 2013 GL450 or similar? I am looking at extended to "6 years or 75K" or "7 years or 100k." I expect this topic has come up before, but I am specifically interested in the MB warranty on the 2013 X166. I buy my cars (no leasing) and I do keep them. I expect with all of this technology and advanced features, it might be a good idea. I just need to decide if I will have it for 6 or 7 years at this point. I know I will not want to trade it prior to that point.
For what its worth....... I have bought 15 new cars since 1968, 2 corvettes, 3 Mercedes and various others...... I have bought the extended warranty on two of them, one was the MB 2007 GL450..... I have NEVER used the extended warranty..... on my most recent purchase ( 2011 GL450 ) I decided to take the cost of the extrended warranty and invest the money in a stock I had researched....I am now trading the 2011 on the 2013, have gained on the stock, .... if I had needed the several K to make a major repair I would have had it, but I didn't and now I have that money plus the gain! It is a dice roll..... but the fact is, a major MB repair after warranty may cost you 2 or 3K..... but that is AFTER the warranty expires and , proabably the only repair of that magnitude before you trade the car! In other words.... put the money aside for that major repair, IF you need it you have it.....if yo don't you have the money! I worked for a car dealership for a period of time..... my job was to sell those warranties!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Mercedes ELW

I have attached the current MSRP for the Mercedes Extended Limited Warranty - and it also shows MB's 15% "surcharge" which technically applies if you choose to purchase ELW after 30 days from vehicle purchase. You can choose to purchase up to, but not exceeding, the new car warranty coverage expiration - however, no one can guarantee ELW coverage will not have a MSRP higher 4yrs/50K miles from now.

Please understand that ELW is the very best extended warranty coverage available - in essence it is a extension of the new car warranty for longer term and mileage - and coverage is as "bumper-to-bumper" as you can get for a MB.

Frankly, the ELW years/mileage options offered meet a wide range of personal situations - I would advise you start by thinking thru how many miles you believe you will put on your MB before deciding your next change - and whether or not you "think" your next change will be trade-in, private party sale, or "gifting" to a family member.

For future private party sale, or family gifting - the ELW can be transferred to the new private owner. In the case of trade-in, ELW has zero value since it cannot be transfer to a dealer.

How you choose to "pay" for the extended warranty - either reducing cash/equity down by paying for ELW 100% upfront, or whether you will "roll" the ELW cost to be added/included in the financed balance amount.

With finance rates as low as they are at the moment - makes ELW roll-into-finance more attractive/affordable than ever.

Up to expiration of the new car warranty, "paid" ELW is fully refundable. If paid up front, then 100% comes back. However, if the vehicle is traded in before the new car warranty expires, then that refund can be held up until the finance balance is paid for clear title - which most likely is the "issue" mentioned by the other poster.

ELW is a Mercedes Bemz Financial Services policy, and not a MB sales product, and I am not involved one way or another on "selling" ELW.

However, in the event you are planning a long term own/hold, and/or considering gifting later on to a family member - then I would recommend it should get thoughtful consideration.

If you plan long term hold - and if you are considering AirMatic suspension - then for long term AirMatic owners it's like a no brainer.

It's a matter pf personal choice, and a option that can be of value to you if that's the long term ownership direction you believe you are headed.

Keep the beat !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2013 MB ELW Pricing.pdf (183.5 KB, 795 views)
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 AM

2013 GL450
Thank you. This is all very helpful. I have to decide, like with any insurance, how much I am willing to pay for complete piece of mind. I have the contracts in hand and I need to understand what is NOT covered as well. And, like you say, if I do go with it, I need to determine how much, as that is probably how long I will keep the vehicle. I am leaning toward the 7 year/100 and the dealer is willing to discount it by $500.

Last edited by Steve Maislin; 12-27-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 AM

2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Up to expiration of the new car warranty, "paid" ELW is fully refundable. If paid up front, then 100% comes back. However, if the vehicle is traded in before the new car warranty expires, then that refund can be held up until the finance balance is paid for clear title - which most likely is the "issue" mentioned by the other poster.
fabbrisd1, thanks for the great info as always.

Still trying to figure out the hold up on mine to confirm the refund amount. I paid the warranty on credit card a few days after I bought the car in 2009 so it was 100% paid up front. Also the car is 100% paid off, no loan so I can't see that being an issue. I am also below 50,000 miles and 4 years on the car. Any other factor I am missing in the calculation that is holding up the dealer from telling me how much my refund will be? I requested refund late November, expecting to have the refund mid December and have been checking back at least weekly but they still can't confirm...any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
As always ..... great info here on the MB forum! Do any of you know.... the pricing on the MB warranty is listed as "msrp".... does that mean the ultimate price is negotiable?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Is there a list of parts covered by the Mercedes ELW? The dealership always had to look up to see if the part was covered. It was hit and miss.

I had a power steering issue. One of the parts was not covered. Seemed like a basic thing but the ELW did not cover. I've had better luck with the Chrysler Service Contracts than I did the ELW. Unfortunately, Chrsler Service Contracts does not write on any Mercedes anymore.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM

2013 GL450
Here are the pages from the contract. I does not specifically say what is covered as it appears to be more about what is not covered.
Attached Thumbnails Extended Warranty-elw-contract001.jpg   Extended Warranty-elw-contract-002.jpg   Extended Warranty-elw-contract-003.jpg   Extended Warranty-elw-contract-004.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
Here are the pages from the contract. I does not specifically say what is covered as it appears to be more about what is not covered.

Thank you for posting that document...... As I read it, it says that everything is covered unless specifically excluded. Given the hassle of "proving" and "authorization" that some 3rd party coverage runs you through...... MB's coverage sounds pretty good!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by blittle
Thank you for posting that document...... As I read it, it says that everything is covered unless specifically excluded. Given the hassle of "proving" and "authorization" that some 3rd party coverage runs you through...... MB's coverage sounds pretty good!
My thoughts are the same. My reading is that everything is covered the same as new car warranty. I wouldn't consider a 3rd party personally.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I have had EWs on my vehicles, I value them the most on the MB's since everything is so expensive. In the two MB's I've owned they have been about break even prospects. I decided to buy one again on my current MB. If you put high mileage on your vehicle be aware of how the MB coverage works. PM me if you need info.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Mbenz260e
My thoughts are the same. My reading is that everything is covered the same as new car warranty. I wouldn't consider a 3rd party personally.
I had a 3rd party warranty on a 2000 S 450. The power steering broke and the warranty company did not cover it. I ended up paying $3400. I traded the car after that and was the last time I bought a 3rd party warranty. I have the MB EW on my GL550 and CLK350. I like it because I don't have to fight to get things covered. I used it some on the CLK but not on the 08 GL550
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by sam9187
I had a 3rd party warranty on a 2000 S 450. The power steering broke and the warranty company did not cover it. I ended up paying $3400. I traded the car after that and was the last time I bought a 3rd party warranty. I have the MB EW on my GL550 and CLK350. I like it because I don't have to fight to get things covered. I used it some on the CLK but not on the 08 GL550
I dont trust 3rd party warranty companies, half the time they send you somewhere that uses extra strength super glue to fix 99% of the problems. Better to stick with MB or nothing.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
260e - The dealer had you fill out the refund form, correct ? They also did a brief inspection to confirm current mileage, correct ? If the refund documents were sent by the dealer correctly - refund request, copy of the original bill-of-sale (which they get internally) and the mileage verification - and as you say while you vehicle is still under new car warranty - that your refund will be 100% less maybe a $35 fee.The refund process for you should be 100%.

Timing: I think some things might have gotten fracked up a bit - not your fault- call and chase MBUSA Customer Care (I would) (800) 367-6372 - option 4, followed by option 5 - be professional and polite, and share with them dealer name and contact. Friday I think before 4PM EST would be best, will help things move along a bit, and by next Weds will bounce back thru dealer management from MB side.

1) Refund - General terms:
CANCELLATION (Your rights may vary depending upon your state; please see State Changes section):
The Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty Agreement may be canceled for a full refund at any time prior to the expiration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and the effective date of this Agreement, if a written request for cancellation is submitted using the Cancellation form that can be obtained from the selling Dealer or any authorized dealer. In those limited cases where this Agreement is purchased within thirty (30) days of this Agreement’s effective date, you have 30 days from the purchase date to obtain a full refund if no claims have been paid. In other cases, you will receive a pro rata refund (refund of unused portion of your Agreement), as provided below:
Your pro rata refund is based on the purchase price of this Agreement less cost of claims and coverage provided.
Pro rata refunds return the percentage of the purchase price associated with the remaining mileage or time (whichever is less) on this Agreement at the time of cancellation. Time is based on the full number of months remaining on this Agreement.
Your pro rata refund is determined by multiplying the purchase price by the percentage of unused coverage, based on time or mileage, whichever is less, remaining under this Agreement ad deducting the cost of claims.
You must request a refund within ninety (90) days after you are no longer owner of the vehicle covered by this Agreement and it has not been transferred to a private party purchaser.
THE DESCRIBED CANCELLATION PROVISIONS ARE NOT APPLICABLE IN ANY WAY IF THIS MERCEDES-BENZ EXTENDED LIMITED WARRANTY AGREEMENT HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER ENTITY. If you have not paid for this Agreement in full and a lien is outstanding against the described vehicle and/or this Agreement itself, any cancellation refund will be made payable to the Lien holder or Lessor. Should the vehicle be repossessed or deemed a total loss, the rights hereunder shall transfer to the Lien holder or Lessor as its interest may appear and the Selling Dealer, or any authorized Dealer, agrees to effect cancellation at Lien holder’s or Lessor’s request upon receipt of evidence of repossession or total loss, and name the Lien holder or Lessor as the sole payee of any resulting refund unless MBUSA is instructed otherwise in writing by the Lien holder or Lessor. MBUSA reserves the right to terminate this Agreement if any of the following occur:
1. The vehicle odometer has been altered or has been inoperable for more than ten (10) days after the purchase of this Agreement so as to reflect an inaccurate or misleading reading.
2. The vehicle has been determined to be a salvage, scrap or dismantled vehicle as defined by applicable state law.
3. Any material misrepresentations are made including, but not limited to, a submission of fraudulent claim in connection with this Agreement.

2) Refund State Exceptions:

STATE CHANGES:
If you purchased a Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty Agreement in any of the following states, the Agreement is amended as indicated below:
ALABAMA: If MBUSA cancels this Agreement for any reason except for nonpayment by you or a material misrepresentation by you, MBUSA shall provide you written notice of cancellation at least 5 days prior to the effective date of cancellation. This Agreement is backed by the full faith and credit of MBUSA.
ARIZONA: No claims will be deducted from refunds.
HAWAII: Rental coverage is not available and you are not being charged for it. Therefore, any rental coverage does not apply to you. If MBUSA cancels this Agreement for any reason except for nonpayment by you or a material misrepresentation by you, MBUSA shall provide you written notice of cancellation at least 5 days prior to the effective date of cancellation. This Agreement is backed by the full faith and credit of MBUSA.
LOUISIANA: No claims will be deducted from refunds.
MASSACHUSETTS: NOTICE TO PURCHASER-The coverage you are buying is not required in order to register or finance a vehicle. The benefits provided may duplicate express manufacturer’s or seller’s warranties that come automatically with every sale. You can be required by the seller of this coverage to pursue those warranties which are available to you without this Agreement.
MICHIGAN: If performance of this contract is interrupted because of a stroke or work stoppage at the company’s place of business, the effective period of the service contract shall be extended for the period of the stroke or work stoppage.
MISSOURI: Obligations of the provider under this service contact are backed up by the full faith and credit of the provider (issuer) and are not guaranteed under a service contract reimbursement policy. A ten percent penalty shall be added to a refund that is not paid within thirty days of return of the contract to the provider.
MONTANA: Obligations of the provider under this service contract are backed by the full faith and credit of the provider.
NEW HAMPSHIRE: In the event you do not receive satisfaction under this Agreement, you may contact the New Hampshire Department of Insurance, 21 South Fruit Street, Suit 14, Concord, N.H. 03301, phone number 1-800-852-3416.
SOUTH CAROLINA: Obligations of the provider under this service contract are backed by a full faith and credit of the provider. In the event of a dispute with the provider of this service contract, you may contact the South Carolina Department of Insurance, Capitol Center, 1201 Maine Street, Suit 1000, Columbia, S.C. 29201 or 1-800-768-3467.
TEXAS: If MBUSA cancels this Agreement for any reason except for nonpayment by you or a material misrepresentation by you, MBUSA shall provide you written notice of cancellation at least 5 days prior to the effective date of cancellation. This Agreement is backed by the full faith and credit of MBUSA. Unresolved complaints concerning a provider or questions concerning the regulation of a service contract provider may be addressed to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, P.O.B 12157, Austin, TX 787111; phone number: 1-800-803-9202.
WISCONSIN: No claims will be deducted from refunds. THIS WARRANTY IS SUBJECT TO LIMITED REGULATION BY THE OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF INSURANCE.
WYOMING: If MBUSA cancels this Agreement for any reason except for nonpayment by you or a material misrepresentation by you, MBUSA shall provide you written notice of cancellation at least 5 days prior to the effective date of cancellation. This Agreement is backed by the full faith and credit of MBUSA.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:59 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
I am having the same problem with getting a refund from my MB warranty. Paid $2900 back in Aug 2011 and traded our GL in on Oct 30, 2012 (which was paid off). Cancelled the warranty on Nov 1st.

At first the dealer did a good job communicating, then after waiting patiently, my voice mails and emails were not returned. I contacted MB Customer Care and described the situation. Finally, I received a check on Dec 24th, but it was only for $2300, not the full amount. I was under the 4 year and 50,000 mile period, which states full refund.

Now the dealer is blaming Mercedes and Mercedes is following up with dealer. This should not be that hard and should not take two months to receive a full refund.

fabbrisd1, thanks for the great info as always.

Still trying to figure out the hold up on mine to confirm the refund amount. I paid the warranty on credit card a few days after I bought the car in 2009 so it was 100% paid up front. Also the car is 100% paid off, no loan so I can't see that being an issue. I am also below 50,000 miles and 4 years on the car. Any other factor I am missing in the calculation that is holding up the dealer from telling me how much my refund will be? I requested refund late November, expecting to have the refund mid December and have been checking back at least weekly but they still can't confirm...any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
There is paperwork prepared by the dealer that has to be submitted with the refund application - including some copies of original doc stuff - so often the dellay can be caused by the dealer getting that paperwork together to submit to MB at one time.
The refund amount "difference" that's the 1st time I have heard that happening - again, I would suspect the dealer end.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 PM

fabbrisd...thanks for your response I really appreciate it. Unfortunately saw it after 4pm but will try call 1st thing on Monday if they are open.

The dealer did not have me fill out any form and did not inspect the vehicle to verify the mileage. I had an appointment to do this but when I showed up my SA was no where to be found and apparently the only person in the finance department who could handle this seemingly complex transaction was out that day. The manager however spoke with me and indicated they could do it over the phone or E-mail when the finance person returned the next day. So I did it over the phone and formally E-mailed my request stating my current mileage to the finance person. Since then being trying to get responses back from my SA, finance contact and manager, but all been non responsive except for the SA who keeps being vague and indicating he will follow up but never gets back to me. Unfortunately the dealer I am working with is an hour from my home so not worth me driving back out there to follow up since I can't ensure anyone helpful will be there.

I agree with you I am 99% sure the dealer sat on filing the request even though I kept asking and following up, the point being I wanted the amount settled before the new truck came in.

Very frustrating experience. I am leaning towards financing the new truck as the dealer won't give me the MF on the lease it seems that others have been getting in December. However instead of buying the ELW I think I will wait to make sure I actually need it. Hopefully MRSP won't creep up too much in 4 years and even if investing the $ doesn't yield 15% in 4 years to cover the additional fee, I will still feel OK paying the fee to have potentially avoided the frustrating experience I am having now.

Last edited by Mbenz260e; 12-28-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
fabbrisd...thanks for your response I really appreciate it. Unfortunately saw it after 4pm but will try call 1st thing on Monday if they are open.

The dealer did not have me fill out any form and did not inspect the vehicle to verify the mileage. I had an appointment to do this but when I showed up my SA was no where to be found and apparently the only person in the finance department who could handle this seemingly complex transaction was out that day. The manager however spoke with me and indicated they could do it over the phone or E-mail when the finance person returned the next day. So I did it over the phone and formally E-mailed my request stating my current mileage to the finance person. Since then being trying to get responses back from my SA, finance contact and manager, but all been non responsive except for the SA who keeps being vague and indicating he will follow up but never gets back to me. Unfortunately the dealer I am working with is an hour from my home so not worth me driving back out there to follow up since I can't ensure anyone helpful will be there.

I agree with you I am 99% sure the dealer sat on filing the request even though I kept asking and following up, the point being I wanted the amount settled before the new truck came in.

Very frustrating experience. I am leaning towards financing the new truck as the dealer won't give me the MF on the lease it seems that others have been getting in December. However instead of buying the ELW I think I will wait to make sure I actually need it. Hopefully MRSP won't creep up too much in 4 years and even if investing the $ doesn't yield 15% in 4 years to cover the additional fee, I will still feel OK paying the fee to have potentially avoided the frustrating experience I am having now.

The thing I do not get is why the SA and people at the MB dealerships become non-responsive. It's common courtesy to call people back especially whe you are buying expensive brand such as MB. I had a similar experience with the MB dealer near me - left a message for a SA and receptionist regarding the GL63 on 3 different occasions but did not even get a single call back. I am astonished as to why a dealership would treat potential customers this way so I took my business elsewhere and they lost a new customer. It does not seem like a good business practice to me. I know everyone is busy but in the end they are in a business of selling cars.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by sam9187
The thing I do not get is why the SA and people at the MB dealerships become non-responsive. It's common courtesy to call people back especially whe you are buying expensive brand such as MB. I had a similar experience with the MB dealer near me - left a message for a SA and receptionist regarding the GL63 on 3 different occasions but did not even get a single call back. I am astonished as to why a dealership would treat potential customers this way so I took my business elsewhere and they lost a new customer. It does not seem like a good business practice to me. I know everyone is busy but in the end they are in a business of selling cars.
My feelings exactly. Don't plan on working with this dealership again. Basically I call, leave message, follow up with E-mail, hear nothing and call back until the SA actually answers.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
On the warranty refund - make the call to mbusa customer serrvice - with the objective of having VIN# and date of refund request - look at that call as "logging the issue" with facts - so that when that gets bounced back down to dealer senior management in 48 hrs everyone has the accurate info to get is worked out effectively.

Understand on the call-back thing - however, there are best-run MB dealerships, then there are OK dealerships, and a few less-than OK - what happens on a best run dealership action is taken without in-person appearance - but with OK/less-than-OK in-person unfortunately can be best.

On GL63's and GL550's especially - I am not excusing anything - but at this moment there is a high-fraud-export alert specifically for those two models - GL350's too.

GL63 availability for 90% of US dealers will be likely zero thru June - GL550's are sought after by exporters, and small dealerships receive 3-4 calls a day for the past 4 months - on GL350's about 2-3 a day bogie/really-exporter-with-some story.

How about this ? A Florida company with a web site showing there are in the handicapped assist vehicle business calls a dealer in Iowa about securing a GL550 willing to wire transfer full MSRP asking for soonest delivery - or a loving daughter calls a dealer in Nebraska willing to come in with a cashiers check for full MSRP to buy her mother a GL550, oh and by-the-way her mother lives in GA but wants to go over the car herself so she knows her mother will be getting the right vehicle - or a company from Texas will issue a wire transfer for full MSRP for a GL550 they want to buy their company President as a surprise gift and send to his 2nd home in Baltimore - thats the stuff that comes in by phone every frigging day on these hot two models.

A MB dealer will get fined $15K-$25K for sending selling one vehicle to a exporter - and have future alllocation cut down as well.

That's part of the business you don't see..
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks again fabbrisd1.

Totally understand about the fraudsters, though my concern with call backs are more about the people that know me unfortunately. World we live in but do feel bad for you guys having to be the fraud police.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
On the warranty refund - make the call to mbusa customer serrvice - with the objective of having VIN# and date of refund request - look at that call as "logging the issue" with facts - so that when that gets bounced back down to dealer senior management in 48 hrs everyone has the accurate info to get is worked out effectively.

Understand on the call-back thing - however, there are best-run MB dealerships, then there are OK dealerships, and a few less-than OK - what happens on a best run dealership action is taken without in-person appearance - but with OK/less-than-OK in-person unfortunately can be best.

On GL63's and GL550's especially - I am not excusing anything - but at this moment there is a high-fraud-export alert specifically for those two models - GL350's too.

GL63 availability for 90% of US dealers will be likely zero thru June - GL550's are sought after by exporters, and small dealerships receive 3-4 calls a day for the past 4 months - on GL350's about 2-3 a day bogie/really-exporter-with-some story.

How about this ? A Florida company with a web site showing there are in the handicapped assist vehicle business calls a dealer in Iowa about securing a GL550 willing to wire transfer full MSRP asking for soonest delivery - or a loving daughter calls a dealer in Nebraska willing to come in with a cashiers check for full MSRP to buy her mother a GL550, oh and by-the-way her mother lives in GA but wants to go over the car herself so she knows her mother will be getting the right vehicle - or a company from Texas will issue a wire transfer for full MSRP for a GL550 they want to buy their company President as a surprise gift and send to his 2nd home in Baltimore - thats the stuff that comes in by phone every frigging day on these hot two models.

A MB dealer will get fined $15K-$25K for sending selling one vehicle to a exporter - and have future alllocation cut down as well.

That's part of the business you don't see..
My comments were also mainly against a dealership that I have used for past 2 years to service my car. I have never bought from them. I understand that fraud happens but that's not an excuse. The dealership I placed my GL63 order had similar concerns but we got over it after they were convinced I am ordering for myself. Also the dealership in Texas that I placed my GL550 order is amazing - never had any issue. I don't mind driving 2 hours to go get the car if they treat people right.

The way I see it is that my local dealer in Plano not only lost the GL order but also for the S class next year. Just because there is a possibility of fraud does not mean you ignore all calls from potential new customers.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM

2014 GL 350 on order
Extended Warranty Pricing on 2013 GL350

Owners: what is the best price one can expect for the 7/75K Tier 2 ELW pricing? I am having the above vehicle delivered and I was quoted $2899 right off the quote sheet.
Bought the ELW for my 2005 E55 from Courtesy Motors in Chico CA at a much better price-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty