GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Dissapointed with GPS system and command system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dissapointed with GPS system and command system

I am just a little disappointed with the gps system in my 2013 mercedes gl450. I am a little bit bias as my wife drives a Ford Edge with microsoft sync system in it which the layout, graphics and gps is light years beyond this one. I was thinking a car around $80k would have more advanced features then a car half the cost.

The graphics and layout looks the same in cars much older does anyone know how often they update this?

Question on the gps sytem on the main screen I see it shows all the exits but is there any setting where I can set it to show the upcoming turns on the routes? I don't want to go into route browser that is horrible. I just want to be able to look at the screen to see what is upcoming as they give you advance notice only 1 mile.

Also not to fond of the voice commands again coming from a ford edge you can basically control the car by your voice telling it to turn up the heat etc.. Is there any option in the voice command where I can say the full address to navigate to? instead of saying, street, city etc all separate?

Also one thing I noticed in the car is the temperate control goes from 68,70,72 am I not able to set the temp at 71? Also I don't see much modes in the temp why isn't there a temp control in the command center? I loved that about the ford edge.

I am not really sure who programmed this as it is really lacking a ton of features found in much cheaper cars. They should at least update with better graphics and more features for this price point we are at. If some of you could answer my questions that would be great. Thanks

Adam
Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Adam Johnson
I am just a little disappointed with the gps system in my 2013 mercedes gl450. I am a little bit bias as my wife drives a Ford Edge with microsoft sync system in it which the layout, graphics and gps is light years beyond this one. I was thinking a car around $80k would have more advanced features then a car half the cost.

The graphics and layout looks the same in cars much older does anyone know how often they update this?

Question on the gps sytem on the main screen I see it shows all the exits but is there any setting where I can set it to show the upcoming turns on the routes? I don't want to go into route browser that is horrible. I just want to be able to look at the screen to see what is upcoming as they give you advance notice only 1 mile.

Also not to fond of the voice commands again coming from a ford edge you can basically control the car by your voice telling it to turn up the heat etc.. Is there any option in the voice command where I can say the full address to navigate to? instead of saying, street, city etc all separate?

Also one thing I noticed in the car is the temperate control goes from 68,70,72 am I not able to set the temp at 71? Also I don't see much modes in the temp why isn't there a temp control in the command center? I loved that about the ford edge.

I am not really sure who programmed this as it is really lacking a ton of features found in much cheaper cars. They should at least update with better graphics and more features for this price point we are at. If some of you could answer my questions that would be great. Thanks

Adam

This has been a point of "discontent" for all of us who have owned GL's since the first model in 07. ....and, from what I gather for owners of MB in general. None of us have the answer as to "why" but I will say this....what you are looking at is at least a few ticks better than what we have had before now. That being said....the technology of the gps/communications system on the Ford is obviously miles ahead of the MB system, but the quality of the vehicle and the technology in the management of the vehicle systems is beyond what Ford has in their vehicle.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by blittle
This has been a point of "discontent" for all of us who have owned GL's since the first model in 07. ....and, from what I gather for owners of MB in general. None of us have the answer as to "why" but I will say this....what you are looking at is at least a few ticks better than what we have had before now. That being said....the technology of the gps/communications system on the Ford is obviously miles ahead of the MB system, but the quality of the vehicle and the technology in the management of the vehicle systems is beyond what Ford has in their vehicle.
Oh yes I know the quality, the ride and all the other features is beyond Ford. I was just expecting the gps and command system to be beyond ford as well as this is really important and becoming a standard in todays cars.

Can you answer some of my questions in my post please if you know them? Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG SUV
Zoom in/out quickly with the new "wheel" is your best friend for upcoming turns/directions. Much easier with the 2013 then it was with the old button-on-dash zoom of the '12. Not the best solution but I find it to be very easy while keeping your eye on the road.

Added:

Can you real tell the difference by 1 degree? Not a dig, just a question.

I agree, it would be nice to say the full address but now that I've been using Send2Benz I haven't added an address in-vehicle since. Just put it in your iPhone or PC before you leave the house and boom, it's on your GPS where you can save or navigate.

Last edited by mikephotos; 02-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Wrong paradigm

Until we get away from the active visual touchscreen iPAD "take your eyes and fingers off the wheel" paradigm and have fundamental voice control of the car with heads up displays/feedback we are in a morrass.

The latest article on this topic in The Star makes me very pessimistic that the MB Palo Alto research center will reject the touchscreen paradigm. Twitter and Facebook social networking seems more important to them than Star Trek. "Computer, set a course for the Ritz with the earliest possible arrival time."

Otherwise we have the Google smart dust autonomous cars the sensors will run your car and the gov. will keep you at 55 unless you have an approved alternative fuel system and you will be happy to contribute for miles driven.

MB has not made many good decisions when it comes to cabin electronics. B&O rather than Burmeister? HK rather than Classe'? 20 GB hard disks? Why bother?

Last edited by grane; 02-06-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
The MB GPS has always been crap, it was crap when Chrysler owned it and its still not anything to praise.... even on the S550 its no better, all the same garbage, on my last GL I would carry a Garmin with me which I bought for $200 and it did more than the $3500 MB charged me for the nav package.

Quality is improving though, the old Chrysler blood has not left MB veins yet.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
So...... i guess you can see that most of us are just as unhappy as you are with the command system. The answers to your questions are simple....the command system just doesn't work that way. Welcome to the club..... you just gave a few of us the opportunity to vent!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by cookstar
The MB GPS has always been crap, it was crap when Chrysler owned it and its still not anything to praise.... even on the S550 its no better, all the same garbage, on my last GL I would carry a Garmin with me which I bought for $200 and it did more than the $3500 MB charged me for the nav package.

Quality is improving though, the old Chrysler blood has not left MB veins yet.
Chrysler never owned Mercedes nor was there ever any Chrysler blood in Mercedes. Mercedes owned Chrysler. There was also no upsharing with Chrysler to Mercedes; rather, Mercedes sent their technology to Chrysler.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the response from this would have like a better response to use the system better or a response saying that new updates are coming but I will just have to live with it. I just got back from a road trip to Florida and I was using my phone to navigate more then the navigation system in the brand new gl450. My wife really hates it and was saying the whole trip how she like the navigation system in the Ford Edge and I couldn't really argue with her.

I am a really technical person and I really like to have technology in my car but I love the ride and comfort of the car and that is why I chose this over any other SUV.

Couple things though can someone answer if there is anymore settings for the climate control like to just have it blow out on the floor or on the vents?

How can I get the temp at 71 degrees? It looks like it is just 68,70,72 that bugs the hell out of me.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
You can't put 71 degrees ( don't ask me why)....
To adjust climate control - use MODE button, but I think AUTO will not work the same time.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Mercedes has always been around 5 years behind in car audio/navigation systems and around 5 to 10 years ahead for safety features.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Ok one more thing has anyone seen the car slow down when you have it on cruise control and you are approaching a car?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok one more thing has anyone seen the car slow down when you have it on cruise control and you are approaching a car?
Your car probably has Distronic Plus option. read the Manual.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Chrysler never owned Mercedes nor was there ever any Chrysler blood in Mercedes. Mercedes owned Chrysler. There was also no upsharing with Chrysler to Mercedes; rather, Mercedes sent their technology to Chrysler.
you dont understand how American Corporations work, they dont have to have 51% or majority of the shares for them to think and act like they run the show.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Also I opened the engine hood and I noticed their was no lightbulb or any lights for the engine. Do they not have any?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also I opened the engine hood and I noticed their was no lightbulb or any lights for the engine. Do they not have any?
Wow...you opened the hood on a new car ? I have not done that for a month I have it. Is a light supposed to be there ? Thanks god there is an engine there
Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by aeggroup
Wow...you opened the hood on a new car ? I have not done that for a month I have it. Is a light supposed to be there ? Thanks god there is an engine there
Actually I opened the hood and there was just a picture of a engine I think I got ripped off.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually I opened the hood and there was just a picture of a engine I think I got ripped off.
LOL )
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Command is not the latest and greatest but I am pretty satisfied for daily driving.

I don't think I recall ever seeing a light under the hood on an MB? I guess not something they do? Now that I think of it I always driven euro cars and never think I've had one?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM

2013 GL450
Why in the world would you need a light under the hood? Seems like working on the engine is something done at a well lit dealership workshop. And, even when I add washer fluid, I do it during the daytime. If I ended up with a disabled GL at night on the side of the road I would just contact roadside assistance. Looking under that hood won't do much good.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
Why in the world would you need a light under the hood? Seems like working on the engine is something done at a well lit dealership workshop. And, even when I add washer fluid, I do it during the daytime. If I ended up with a disabled GL at night on the side of the road I would just contact roadside assistance. Looking under that hood won't do much good.
I tend to agree but could be useful as a car gets older and need to check the oil frequently or add fluids often and perhaps you don't have a well lit garage or the service stations in your areas don't have strong lighting? But yeah I am glad they probably saved $20 off the sticker price by not having one lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Audi S5, GL350, Audi A4
What a shame that the latest $80K Mercedes still has a *****ty COMMAND system. The biggest disappointment I have with my wife's 2011 GL350 is the COMMAND system, which has led me to use Google Maps and Google Nav as my prefered choice of GPS when I drive her car - my Audis have much better systems.

I have been lurking on this X166 thread, as I have toyed with the idea of swapping the 2011 for the newer model. However, between the long wait for a new model and the lousy COMMAND system I don't think it's worth the price differential between selling at trade-in and paying near retail for the new one.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FastMoneyPlaya
What a shame that the latest $80K Mercedes still has a *****ty COMMAND system. The biggest disappointment I have with my wife's 2011 GL350 is the COMMAND system, which has led me to use Google Maps and Google Nav as my prefered choice of GPS when I drive her car - my Audis have much better systems.

I have been lurking on this X166 thread, as I have toyed with the idea of swapping the 2011 for the newer model. However, between the long wait for a new model and the lousy COMMAND system I don't think it's worth the price differential between selling at trade-in and paying near retail for the new one.

The mid cycle refresh will be 2015-2016 and I dont think they will do anything extreme during a refresh..... this is a problem with all MB's not just the GL
Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM

2013 GL450
I am looking forward to ordering my 2020 GL as soon as possible, especially with the long wait times. I expect the new 2020 COMAND system will be quite impressive. Finally, phenomenal safety, ride, and luxury will be complimented with a state-of-the-art multimedia system. Of course, I am going to do my best to enjoy my 2013 in the meantime. Seriously, I think that all of the systems out there have their idiosyncrasies. I just read a review of the amazing Ford Touch BlablaBla and there were plenty of complaints. Yeh, I know it's a Ford.

Now, I actually like the 2013 version of COMAND as I traded in a 2004 Lexus GX for the GL. So, in comparison... One thing I do know is this is one part of the SUV that gets tired quickly. The changes in TECH just come on way too fast.

I know that I won't be getting tired of the overall GL experience for quite a long time.

Last edited by Steve Maislin; 02-08-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
Exactly!