GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

When to order to get best lease deal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW 550ix
When to order to get best lease deal

Newbie here. I've never leased/purchased a MB before, but looking to get a GL for my wife.

I'm familiar with ordering and leasing a BMW. With BMW, you lock in the lease structure with any incentives that are in affect at the time of order. Then, when the vehicles arrives, you can optionally use the incentives that are in affect at the time the vehicle arrives if it would result in a better deal, or use the lease structure locked in at the time of order.

I understand MB to be different in that the lease structure is not locked in at the time of order but instead when the vehicle arrives. Given it takes 60-90 days to order a vehicle, when would be the best time of year to order so that when the vehicle arrives, the best incentives are in place and can be taken advantage of?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM

2012 GL550, 2012 E550
Well, Im not sure about lease rates being locked in or not when you order. I have only financed lately since interest rates are so dang low. MB usually has quite a few incentives towards the end of model years. Im sure '13 GL's will get this soon as '14 ones will start to be built in a few months. MB's lease factors seem to be lowest though towards the beginning of the model year. At today's finance rates of less than 3% your best "deal" is to probably buy/order a 2013 GL and finance it. USAA offered my a finance rate of 1.5%. That is practically leasing the car as Im only really paying for the depreciation of the car during the time I keep it. Something to think about. I've leased quite a few cars but MB usually doesn't discount there money factors very much. Not like BMW does.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I would suggest you speak to your local Mercedes dealer quite soon and determine the model/colors-features you want for your GL.

All GL models are in tight supply - and literally two models GL550 and GL350 are almost sold out nationwide thru the end of model year 2013 production in early July.

1st delivery of new 2014 GL450's and 550's will start early Sept, possibly end-August.

There are a few GL450's in inventory nationwide - and Mercedes I don't think will need to offer anything in terms of additional incentives to sell those few units thru.

In terms of timing - leases and purchase financing do get a bit more aggressive during peak Holiday season in Nov/Dec Holiday season - however, you need to decide when you need your new GL...

Keep the beat !
Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 PM

2013 BMW 550ix
Thanks for the quick responses. I will lease the vehicle for the usual reasons: don't want to drive it more than three years, business expense, hate to sell vehicles, etc.

Over the past several months, as I've visited MB dealerships in my area, I've seen a few GL's but they're never configured the way I want them configured. So I will order.

We can wait until Nov/Dec to get the vehicle. So perhaps this means I should order around Sep 1 to be sure the vehicle arrives during the more aggressive Holiday season.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
August 1st order with dealer to get 1st allocation for November delivery at that dealer....
Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Since you can wait, I'd wait til ordering for a December delivery, or at least for a late July/August delivery, to try to take advantage of calendar year-end and model year-end deals, respectively.

Last year, they ran Conquest Cash in July (possibly August? Not sure, I took delivery 7/29) and had a similar amount in rebates for a Winter sales event in Dec.

In the meantime, I'd say casually look around for any in-stock models that are configured to your liking, since you can negotiate and you'll have it quicker. A good salesperson may also be able to locate it for you from another dealer.

Since you have leased from BMWFS before, you may be aware of MSDs and how they reduce your MF on the lease. MBFS allows up to 10 MSDs (vs 7 at BMWFS) to reduce your MF, plus using monthly auto-pay reduces your MF by another .00010. Alternatively, if you choose to prepay the lease in one go, your MF is reduced by around .00110 IIRC.

You can also residualize any prepaid 'MB Star' maintenance (or any service/accessory that can be configured on the "Build your model" function on MBUSA) into the MSRP and cap cost of your lease, making it much cheaper than buying separately.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by 1985mb
Since you have leased from BMWFS before, you may be aware of MSDs and how they reduce your MF on the lease. MBFS allows up to 10 MSDs (vs 7 at BMWFS) to reduce your MF, plus using monthly auto-pay reduces your MF by another .00010. Alternatively, if you choose to prepay the lease in one go, your MF is reduced by around .00110 IIRC.

You can also residualize any prepaid 'MB Star' maintenance (or any service/accessory that can be configured on the "Build your model" function on MBUSA) into the MSRP and cap cost of your lease, making it much cheaper than buying separately.

is that true that the prepaid service they offer you in Finance is residualized? i just thought it was added to the gross cap cost?

the money factor right now is .00205 on the GLs. so you are also saying that if you tell the sales or finance guy "i'd like to sign up for auto pay", they will reduce it to .00195?

i've always done auto pay and they never give me a MF reduction ...
Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Just so you know - there was no "Conquest" for GL's in 2012 - and none so far in 2013 - also December delivery is a bit more "slippery" - since transport from the factory gets to be bit more goofy - also it's a "short" month for production due to Holidays.

"Usually" all Holiday incentives are available Nov 10th on - nothing really gets thrown on top to add in December.

I have no comment on Money Factor/MF except to say the good thing about MB and B<W - is towards the end of your lease, to move forward into your next vehicle from the same respective brand - you can get 3 month, even 5-6 months, where they will make last payments.

Another reason to shoot for November to next vehicle you have a option to move to that next model year 3 or more months earlier in August/early-Sept and become a 1st adopter.

Keep the beat !
Old 05-05-2013, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by wamochi
is that true that the prepaid service they offer you in Finance is residualized? i just thought it was added to the gross cap cost?

the money factor right now is .00205 on the GLs. so you are also saying that if you tell the sales or finance guy "i'd like to sign up for auto pay", they will reduce it to .00195?

Yes, the prepaid service on my E is residualized. This little tip, along with MSDs and autopay, has been discussed on the E forum here at MBW and on the Edmunds E-class forums...of course, some people have said that some dealers are either unwilling or uneducated about all these things that MBFS allows (and at no apparent cost to the dealership).
Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Also not going to comment on money factor, but yes the PPM is residualized, I would just make sure that it's not marked up too high. I've (unfortunately) heard stories of peoples PPM pricing was through the roof.

Also, I think it will be a long way before MB comes out with incentives for GL's...no need.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by wamochi

You have to specifically ask for the autopay .0001 MF discount, they will nearly always grant the lower rate if asked to. My salesman said they don't advertise the discount but rather it's a well known secret.