GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Window shade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Thanks cincy8. Just saw the picture, direct link can be found here: https://mbworld.org/forums/5816498-post119.html

Nice that they offer something to go there but that sure looks like an afterthought. Wish they at least made a manual shade that you can roll it yourself into the hidden area like the previous GL. At least it seems like an easy retrofit for earlier models. You can probably store it in the spare tire area.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I have to ask this, for those who have the rear sunshade in the passenger doors would you see value in purchasing the sunshade for $780 from the dealer and doing it yourself? Or just get a suction cup shade that doesn't cover all of the window?

I'm concerned that the sunshade is poorly made from the comments but it seems to cover the window well.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by Mstyle76
I have to ask this, for those who have the rear sunshade in the passenger doors would you see value in purchasing the sunshade for $780 from the dealer and doing it yourself? Or just get a suction cup shade that doesn't cover all of the window?

I'm concerned that the sunshade is poorly made from the comments but it seems to cover the window well.
The price is what it is and its very typical of manufacturers to charge twice or more for a factory option after the car is delivered, just look at rims, running board etc. There is a big gap on the top and bottom of the shade which is not ideal but it does do what its designed for, I have the shades and 99% of the time they remained closed. I would not pay $780 for shades, instead get your self rear tinted windows with a lifetime warranty at a fraction of the price or pick up suction shades at your local wall-mart/dollar store.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
I agree w cookstar. If mine didn't have them already, I wouldn't pay $780 to buy them and install them myself. That's just too much. The windows are factory tinted pretty dark anyway.

We don't usually have them closed unless we are driving a long distance or at sunset when it can be really annoying to have the sun directly on you. So normally they are used 2-3x a week.

We didn't have shades on our X164 and if we were driving to disneyland or something we'd hang a towel or blanket from the ceiling handle. Honestly that worked just fine, just not elegant
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 AM

GL
I have them on one car and they are seldom used by the kids. I suggest the tinted windows if you really need them.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 PM

GL450
Thanks..I guess I will pass..
Old 09-18-2020, 05:26 PM

Mercedes R and GL
Where can i buy this product?

Originally Posted by wamochi
here are some photos.

it's not as bad as it looks/sounds. the housing plastic is the same plastic they use on the "frame" of the window, so it just looks like an extension of that. i don't think it looks out of place per se, it is just odd to me to use a side to side design w/ fat housing rather than the traditional 100%-hidden-in-door-panel style

in any case, you can see there is a gap between the housing and glass. my son had a #2 pencil back there and i put that in between to show you how impractical it would be to try to clean the inside of the glass behind the housing ... that pencil goes all the way back to the frame, so you are talking about approx 3" of glass that cannot be cleaned. (theoretically nothing should get back there either unless you really try, but sometimes the grime builds up on the inside windows just from humidity and rolling up/down.)

Which online store does sell this product? Do you know the link? Tnx