GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

MB tex vs leather in hot climate and small kids...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
R8 5.2 6MT
MB tex vs leather in hot climate and small kids...

We currently live in Arizona and will likely be moving to either Houston or Dallas mid 2015. Both my wife's Lexus and my A6 have ventilated seats. This option can only be had on the GL with the leather option, but not sure if leather is the way to go having a two year old and with plans for additional kids in the near future. How does MB tex feel in the hot summers? Is it more stain and wear resistant than leather? And if used to ventilated seats, would you opt for leather in this case? Feedback appreciated!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
It is a MUCH more durable surface. Yes, it does get hot and does feel hot. Tinted windows help. However, there have only been a few times where my back felt that I needed to have the ventilated seats and that was usually on 4 plus hour road trips. If they had ventilated MBtex seats, that would be wonderful. You would have the best of both worlds. I would imagine they don't offer that option because it would kill the wonderful profit center of leather seating.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
I've had multiple MB vehicles with both leather and tex, and I live in Dallas. I don't find there to be any difference between the two in comfort during the summer. The interior color is much more significant than the choice between leather and tex with regards to how hot it feels inside the car.

I have leather and vented seats in my car (211 E-class) and while it does seem to help a bit, the effect of the venting is pretty minimal. Maybe they use more powerful fans in the GL?

My wife will only buy a car with tex, she likes it that much. It is definitely much more durable than leather and much easier to care for. I would say it's the only way to go in kid carrier.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
Mb tex

I live in Houston and have a GL350 with light grey mb tex and 5 daughters ranging from 3 to 17. I honestly love the tex, shows no wear, appears like leather and I do not find it any warmer than leather. Only issue I have is repeated wearing of denim can leave a light blue hue on the seat but it comes off with either a microfiber towel or a magic eraser.

Wife sometimes car pools with neighborhood kids mom and those two are animals. Even when they put their feet on the seat it cleans so easy. (I am a interior clean freak).
Old 02-14-2014, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Have fun with it - (1) you should search the forum on discussions regarding pro's/con's on EZ entry 2nd row - (2) consider adding 2nd row optional factory sunshades - which is low cost option and I would give heary-hearty support to (3) 3rd zone climate control since the climate control does a LOT for fine tuning rear cabin comfort and (4) pano in GL gives you rear quarter vent windows operated from driver's door.

A couple of "hot summer" notes - the new gen GL has new gen side window and sunroof glass with imporved heat/IR/UV block - if you were to compare the new gen to the X164 in the sun with a arm up at the glass you would immediately tell the difference.

You can further reduce that IR/UV by another 95% by adding a layer of clear 3M Crystalline window film on the inside of the windows - I have several customers in the Southwest and SoCal desert who have even added clear 3M Crystaline to the inside of the windshield.

For a family with youngins - MBTex has the advantage that it does not scratch/scuff like leather can do - and I have not had anyone ever find MBTex "sweaty" like you can get with other synthetic interiors from other car manufacturers.

I personally find dark MBTex to run "cooler" in direct/harsh sunlight that leather - MBTex has a backing of webbing which I think helps - the example I use is this - yes, getting into black leather driver's seat sitting in the sun - in shorts - at times I have felt "scalded" on the bottom of my legs - same sun with black MBTex I can feel "hot" - but never scalded.

For youngins - 2nd row cleanup is super easy with the the combination of MBTex seats and the MB 2nd row "all-wather" fitted mat/tray is awesome - the 2nd row mat/tray covers the "hump" like the Weathertech (made by WeatherTech actually).

Lighter color MBTex, and lighter color MB leather does pickup indigo denim transfer - but MBTex will not scuff or scratch like leahter can/will.

In the case of denim transfer - that transfer color will set" or "sink in" if left too long - so best to cleanup every couple of weeks.

"Best" ph neutral cleaner for that is actually Lexol leather Cleaner - which you can pickup almost anywhere - however denim color cleanup is best if you use a cotton towel - cotton towel is more more absorant and picks up the cleaner/denim better than microfiber towel. Personally I do not recommend the "eraser" for tow reasons - extended use of micro-abrasion can rub down the MBTex "texture" or grain - and the eraser uses a form of "micro beads" - and micro beads have had recent negative eco impact discussions

http://www.lexol.com/Product_leather_cleaner.aspx

If my customers choose to go leather - then I advise adding ventilation - "most" do depending on summer residence area - if my customers go Designo then ventilation is a no-brainer.

Keep the beat !
Old 02-14-2014, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
I have the natural leather on my GL and find it has already worn a bit and strecthed. No one that sits in the car weights more than 140 pounds , even when we got the car the back seats had quality issues with the leather, dealer ordered the rear seats twice and its the same thing again. MB tex is the best but too bad you cant get it with ventilated seats.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
After you get over the fact that you are going with a vinyl product, you realize that it is far more durable, easy to clean, and just as comfortable as the leather. That is my opinion. If it was a living room couch, I would go with leather, but in a car (especially an SUV) MBTex is the way to go. MBTex will look good year over year and the leather, no matter how much you do to keep it fresh will eventually show its age.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
After you get over the fact that you are going with a vinyl product, you realize that it is far more durable, easy to clean, and just as comfortable as the leather. That is my opinion. If it was a living room couch, I would go with leather, but in a car (especially an SUV) MBTex is the way to go. MBTex will look good year over year and the leather, no matter how much you do to keep it fresh will eventually show its age.

I love the leather ( and have it ), the look, feel, and smell! BUTTTT…..don't like the rapid wear look, the easy damage factor. After 3 with leather…..if there is a next, it will be the MB Tex.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
In my wifes older 2011 GL we had the MB Tex and decided to order the same with her 2014 GL, we have kids who are 4 and six, who are into hockey, soccer and everything, they are incredibly durable...just on a side note, on my SLS I have the designo leather and I sat down with those True Religion jeans with the flap pockets and the buttons, well, the friggin button rubbed and scratched the side bolster on my seat so bad that I had to get it repaired...the car was only a few months old, so MB Tex forever.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
The leather front seats are very different inside in construction and adjustability.

If you have any back issues.... Go with the premium seat. Both my wife and I are susceptible to back pain.. We had a loner ML350 with the basic interior and seat configuration. After a while in every day driving..both our backs would become sore. With The seats in our AMG, the adjustments make all the difference in the world. Btw... The ventilated seats are fabulous too.

We also have a 3 & 5 year old.... The fact is that they will be in car seats for quite a while. I have covers under the car seats that have saved me numerous times between throw ups and spills. My three year old's feet are constantly in the back of my seat and I have not seen any scratching of the leather. I am quite pleased with the durability.

When you scan around the forum and see the rear headrest issue... It is made out to be worse than it really is. (at least at this stage of the game for a family with kids in car seats) The ability for the seat to pop forward via the button is very helpful especially if your hands are filled...if the headrests become bothersome, you can always take the pin out so that they flop inwards.

Lastly, if soft door close is not a standard feature on your build... I would add it as it is very nice getting out of the car and not slamming the door waking the children.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For those opting for leather - or light colored MB Tex - in finance you will be offered a Mercedes Interior Protection Package - this is not "Permaplate" which is God aweful stuff.

The Interior Protection is a application - but also gives you stain/scratch/rip/tear coverage.

I am not trying to "sell" anyone this add-on package - but it may be worthwhile to listen/consider the coverage..
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
R8 5.2 6MT
One more question. I am thinking about going the route of leather for the seat ventilation and would likely go with the auburn/black. If going this route, are only the front seats perforated or would all three rows have perforated seats? Also, this comes standard with black headliner and carpeting correct? If I do not go leather, more than likely we will go with the almond beige mb tex. Is the headliner gray or beige with that config and would black headliner look odd with that combo given nothing else is black? Also, carpeting with that color mb tex is beige?