GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Chrome door handles (not inserts)??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW Z4
Chrome door handles (not inserts)??

I personallly dont like the look of inserts but I saw one black GL350 parked outside dealership with chrome door handles and they looked awesome. Does anyone has chrome door handles? Can you post a pic if you have any? I can't find them on mercedes website and on quick googling I only see chrome handle covers but not the actual handles.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by whitecoatgeek
I personallly dont like the look of inserts but I saw one black GL350 parked outside dealership with chrome door handles and they looked awesome. Does anyone has chrome door handles? Can you post a pic if you have any? I can't find them on mercedes website and on quick googling I only see chrome handle covers but not the actual handles.
the face of the handle is still body colored, with a chrome overlay on the top of the handle (as you are looking down from above the car). it's standard that way - not an add-on.

the cup inserts do prevent regular scratches behind the handle, but some people rarely notice that anyway. so it's really personal preference. i didn't have it on my X164 and i thought it was fine, but i lease so i only had the car for 30 months. i suppose if you have a black car the scratches are going to be obvious and pervasive so the cups will help.

i wasn't initially a big fan of the chrome inserts and liked the body color behind the handle better but i seriously don't even notice them at all, and they really do hide scratches.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:45 PM

BMW Z4
Originally Posted by wamochi
the face of the handle is still body colored, with a chrome overlay on the top of the handle (as you are looking down from above the car). it's standard that way - not an add-on.

the cup inserts do prevent regular scratches behind the handle, but some people rarely notice that anyway. so it's really personal preference. i didn't have it on my X164 and i thought it was fine, but i lease so i only had the car for 30 months. i suppose if you have a black car the scratches are going to be obvious and pervasive so the cups will help.

i wasn't initially a big fan of the chrome inserts and liked the body color behind the handle better but i seriously don't even notice them at all, and they really do hide scratches.
I apologise as I am still confused. As far as I know the standard door handles are body colored and inserts add chrome to area behind door handle. I am looking for chrome door handles and not the inserts for the area behind the handle.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM

sorry, it's hard to explain. here's a pic off the web of a GL handle standard - it has this chrome "overlay" on the top of the handle and the rest of the handle is the body color. this one, for example, looks to be diamond white, and without the chrome cup insert behind it:

if you are looking for FULL chrome handles, perhaps they installed an aftermarket product. there are some on ebay that are basically just slap-on chrome, but i don't know how that works if you have keyless go ...
Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 PM

here's a black handle off a W166 ML

same chrome "overlay" on the standard handle, but this one also has the optional chrome insert cup behind it

Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 PM

BMW Z4
Thanks Wamochi!!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
The chrome inserts are subtle and work well on a black car... I bought mine off EBAy ... Just make sure they are OEM as it is a tight fit installing them.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Mercedes C180 Classic
Mac 1

Originally Posted by whitecoatgeek
I personallly dont like the look
of inserts but I saw one black GL350 parked outside dealership with chrome door handles and they looked awesome. Does anyone has chrome door handles? Can you post a pic if you have any? I can't find them on mercedes website and on quick googling I only see chrome handle covers but not the actual handles.
Hi there I have just joined this web site after browsing for chrome door handles for a mercedes c180 classic
I to like you cannot get any info about proper chrome door handles i was wondering if you had any replies to your commentshttps://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif