GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

On & Off road Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL450 Porcelain
On & Off road Package

I checked MB germany website and found out they allow you to put the on/off road package on gl350 diesel, but for us customer, even for 2015 next year model, we don't have that option. Couldn't figure out why?

For myself, either gl350 without on/off or gl450 with on/off.
Tough decision...

Last edited by francotse; 04-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
if your getting the 450 than order a 2015 as fuel economy should be allot better.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
The on/off road package is worth the investment if you enjoy performance.

On GL's w/o the package, sport simply tightens the suspension.

On GL's with the package, engaging sport tightens the suspension, lowers the car, remaps throttle response and transmission shift points and stiffens the steering.

Good deal for the $
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 AM

2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
Originally Posted by cookstar
if your getting the 450 than order a 2015 as fuel economy should be allot better.
Hmm... I see things the complete opposite. I say get the 2014 for the V8 that is easily/cheaply tuned to 500hp. But to each his own.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:22 PM

2013 GL550
I would get the on/off road package if I were you. I bought my 550 as a CPO vehicle and it doesn't have it. I wish it did. The sport button on the 550 stiffens up the suspension and lowers it just a bit. You have to watch carefully as the drop is not much, you'd never notice it while rolling. Get the V8!!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by mist68

On GL's with the package, engaging sport tightens the suspension, lowers the car, remaps throttle response and transmission shift points and stiffens the steering.

Good deal for the $
Exactly….. I have it for that reason AND because i take the vehicle into some tough road conditions now and then!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:53 AM

GL
Oh brother and brothers!
This thread reminds me of why Internet forum sites are sometimes savior and sometimes poison!
Originally Posted by francotse
I checked MB germany website and found out they allow you to put the on/off road package on gl350 diesel, but for us customer, even for 2015 next year model, we don't have that option. Couldn't figure out why?

For myself, either gl350 without on/off or gl450 with on/off.
Tough decision...
I agree there's no good reason other than the USA infrastructure (dealer franchise network) voting in favor of limiting some exposure to the diesel off-roader being too much for them to service and maintain ... it would put the GL head to head with a Discovery or Range Rover and it would require them to treat it as a serious off-roader with brush bars, winch, heavy roof rack, spare wheel carrier, gas cans, underbody protection, etc. None of which they are prepared to handle. I had to figure all this out with a 2010 GL 350 Bluetec and it was a lot of home fabrication to make things fit and work properly. The same setup on a Land Rover or Toyota or Jeep would be all off-the-shelf parts. Don't try to compete in the Camel Trophy and make your way through the jungles of Borneo ... : )

Originally Posted by cookstar
Well, the V6 fuel economy in the 2015 will be better than the gas guzzler V8 turbo, but nowhere near the V6 turbodiesel. The point is off-road suspension and low-range transfer case, not implying anything about fuel efficiency -- the off-road driver certainly worries about range and fuel load. Yhe value of a diesel is low range torque and handling, but mpg will always favor the diesel over even the most miserly gas engine, especially in heavy vehicles.

Good deal for the $
At least on my 2014 X166 with off-road package, what you're describing doesn't apply. Sport will control body roll (what I think of as low speed rebound, like stiffening an anti-roll bar) and damper high speed rebound. Off road will raise the underbody clearance by either one "up" or two "up" positions. I find it counterproductive that in "Sport" the suspension will increase the steering weight and send the transmission into a void of peculiar "anticipation" of me driving on a race circuit and simply burning more gas by being in a lower gear and consequently higher rpm with a timid or even closed throttle. In short, MB has completely failed to set up a "Sport" mode -- Porsche (now, finally, after years of mistakes) understands "Sport" mode, which gives the driver more steering feedback (less assistance) and longer throttle travel with linear response (no artificial ramp off idle "tip in") and the suspension assumes a neutral stance with emphasis on throttle-steering and balance. Benz is far off the mark with Sport in the GL X166, but no mind, it's a two ton family minivan SUV, not a 911, and still, it's a pleasure to drive quickly and passengers appreciate a comfortable ride.

Originally Posted by PkB2014
Hmm... I see things the complete opposite. I say get the 2014 for the V8 that is easily/cheaply tuned to 500hp. But to each his own.
If you find it easy or cheap to void the warranty on a vehicle between $50K and $100K, then you're cashed up and ready to take on very expensive maintenance and repair costs. It's been many years since cavalier aftermarket tuners could simply flash the maps of the engine computer to extract "easy and cheap" power and torque. With current service equipment, these "tooners" cannot hide and the dealership simply cannot take on warranty work when the engine or transmission protest.

Originally Posted by BMcD-E500
I would get the on/off road package if I were you. I bought my 550 as a CPO vehicle and it doesn't have it. I wish it did. The sport button on the 550 stiffens up the suspension and lowers it just a bit. You have to watch carefully as the drop is not much, you'd never notice it while rolling. Get the V8!!
Agreed. Get the off-road pack. While I can't notice any ride height change, you'll certainly notice the active curve control in the suspension electronics -- the body will ride flat and stable even when pushed to "spirited" levels. It makes the car quite fun to drive quickly through mountain roads. If you intend to be off-road, the extra clearance is invaluable. The low-range itself, not so much, because it turns off the traction aids. Unless you're a competent and well-practiced driver, in the 550 at least, you're not going to run out of engine before you run out of traction and that means the low range is more of a "nice to have" than a necessity.

Getting back to the comments about diesel torque and control, and off-road range in terms of mpg, the less time you spend in low range, the better, otherwise, be prepared to consume the tank at faster than 10mpg and a range that keeps you tethered to roads and gas stations.

Originally Posted by blittle
Exactly….. I have it for that reason AND because i take the vehicle into some tough road conditions now and then!
Here again, the advantages off-road are the suspension height and approach/departure/ramp-over angles and clearance, not the low range transfer case. Unless you really know what you're doing, you're far better off staying in the normal high range and letting the traction system waste some energy on the brakes. If the car had three locking differentials and the driver had the experience, then the low range could pay dividends. More likely, it would see you in more trouble than you can extricate yourself from without a lot of embarrassment. The thing I find valuable about low-range is just the ease with which the vehicle can hoist a heavy trailer out of inclined spot or land a heavy boat and trailer on the ramp without the torque convertor doing all the work. If you ever put 7500lb+ behind a GL, you'll notice how the transmission puts all the work into the torque convertor.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:31 AM

Carrera S;
Active Curve is a standalone option and not part of on/off road

If you read the X166 owners manual, it states the changes implemented when sport is selected with on/off road package. Exactly as I stated. Further, I have a 2014 GL550 with on/off road & active curve.

Finally, I have a Porsche Carrera S Cab with sport chromo - the sport button does same as above.

Hope this helps
Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM

2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
Originally Posted by ymmv
If you find it easy or cheap to void the warranty on a vehicle between $50K and $100K, then you're cashed up and ready to take on very expensive maintenance and repair costs. It's been many years since cavalier aftermarket tuners could simply flash the maps of the engine computer to extract "easy and cheap" power and torque. With current service equipment, these "tooners" cannot hide and the dealership simply cannot take on warranty work when the engine or transmission protest.
Not to hijack the thread, but you seem to be stuck in the past with bad information on tuning. For one, an ECU tune doesn't void your warranty, though I agree if Mercedes makes a fuss it could cause headaches going through the hassle of getting them to honor certain issues that might arise with engine and/or transmission. I for one wasn't advocating tuning it right away. I'll probably wait at least a year myself to make sure there are no obvious gremlins in the car, but the option exists and it is easy and cheap (relatively speaking of course). Even after the warranty ends if you worry about that, you can tune it then and it'll feel like a new/different vehicle. Secondly, anyone going to a "cavalier aftermarket tuner" and not going to a reputable tuner with a vehicle in this price range is asking for trouble. There are plenty of quality tuners for Mercedes engines. Especially one that has been in half the lineup (Cl550, SL550, GL550, etc.) for many years with higher output (429hp) than the detuned (with the ECU) GL450.

If you want to talk more about this we should probably post in a related thread instead of here.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...50-owners.html
Old 04-17-2014, 01:02 PM

Carrera S;
My M-B dealer is also a Renntech dealer-yes, the Renntech flash is expensive but still less than 2% cost of car-at least my 550.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by ymmv
Oh brother and brothers!
This thread reminds me of why Internet forum sites are sometimes savior and sometimes poison!

I agree there's no good reason other than the USA infrastructure (dealer franchise network) voting in favor of limiting some exposure to the diesel off-roader being too much for them to service and maintain ... it would put the GL head to head with a Discovery or Range Rover and it would require them to treat it as a serious off-roader with brush bars, winch, heavy roof rack, spare wheel carrier, gas cans, underbody protection, etc. None of which they are prepared to handle. I had to figure all this out with a 2010 GL 350 Bluetec and it was a lot of home fabrication to make things fit and work properly. The same setup on a Land Rover or Toyota or Jeep would be all off-the-shelf parts. Don't try to compete in the Camel Trophy and make your way through the jungles of Borneo ... : )

Well, the V6 fuel economy in the 2015 will be better than the gas guzzler V8 turbo, but nowhere near the V6 turbodiesel. The point is off-road suspension and low-range transfer case, not implying anything about fuel efficiency -- the off-road driver certainly worries about range and fuel load. Yhe value of a diesel is low range torque and handling, but mpg will always favor the diesel over even the most miserly gas engine, especially in heavy vehicles.

At least on my 2014 X166 with off-road package, what you're describing doesn't apply. Sport will control body roll (what I think of as low speed rebound, like stiffening an anti-roll bar) and damper high speed rebound. Off road will raise the underbody clearance by either one "up" or two "up" positions. I find it counterproductive that in "Sport" the suspension will increase the steering weight and send the transmission into a void of peculiar "anticipation" of me driving on a race circuit and simply burning more gas by being in a lower gear and consequently higher rpm with a timid or even closed throttle. In short, MB has completely failed to set up a "Sport" mode -- Porsche (now, finally, after years of mistakes) understands "Sport" mode, which gives the driver more steering feedback (less assistance) and longer throttle travel with linear response (no artificial ramp off idle "tip in") and the suspension assumes a neutral stance with emphasis on throttle-steering and balance. Benz is far off the mark with Sport in the GL X166, but no mind, it's a two ton family minivan SUV, not a 911, and still, it's a pleasure to drive quickly and passengers appreciate a comfortable ride.

Agreed. Get the off-road pack. While I can't notice any ride height change, you'll certainly notice the active curve control in the suspension electronics -- the body will ride flat and stable even when pushed to "spirited" levels. It makes the car quite fun to drive quickly through mountain roads. If you intend to be off-road, the extra clearance is invaluable. The low-range itself, not so much, because it turns off the traction aids. Unless you're a competent and well-practiced driver, in the 550 at least, you're not going to run out of engine before you run out of traction and that means the low range is more of a "nice to have" than a necessity.

Getting back to the comments about diesel torque and control, and off-road range in terms of mpg, the less time you spend in low range, the better, otherwise, be prepared to consume the tank at faster than 10mpg and a range that keeps you tethered to roads and gas stations.

Here again, the advantages off-road are the suspension height and approach/departure/ramp-over angles and clearance, not the low range transfer case. Unless you really know what you're doing, you're far better off staying in the normal high range and letting the traction system waste some energy on the brakes. If the car had three locking differentials and the driver had the experience, then the low range could pay dividends. More likely, it would see you in more trouble than you can extricate yourself from without a lot of embarrassment. The thing I find valuable about low-range is just the ease with which the vehicle can hoist a heavy trailer out of inclined spot or land a heavy boat and trailer on the ramp without the torque convertor doing all the work. If you ever put 7500lb+ behind a GL, you'll notice how the transmission puts all the work into the torque convertor.
Just to be specific…..my previous two GL's had the off-road pkg…and included a locking rear diff in addition to the ability to lock the center….the latest versions have no locking rear…that being said, I can go into deep snow, lock the center….turn off the the stability control, put it into low range, raise it up to max and crawl my way out of most crap…been there and done it! Yes…the auto system will take care of most….but not all, and the current system is NOT as good as the original in the 07 intro model….but when you DO need it , it is fantastic AND yes, you DO need to know what you are doing! Not for everybody for sure….
Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM

If you have kids and wonder why the car is not shifting out of low, check your off road control knob...
Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 PM

S1000RR
That's why I just ordered my 2014. This is the reason MB changed the 450 to a V6. Hard to justify the 25k markup from a 450 to 550 when they got the same exact engine, just detuned.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 PM

S1000RR
Active Curve is a standalone option and not part of on/off road

If you read the X166 owners manual, it states the changes implemented when sport is selected with on/off road package. Exactly as I stated. Further, I have a 2014 GL550 with on/off road & active curve.

Finally, I have a Porsche Carrera S Cab with sport chromo - the sport button does same as above.

Hope this helps
Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 PM

GL
Not to hijack the thread, but you seem to be stuck in the past with bad information on tuning. For one, an ECU tune doesn't void your warranty, though I agree if Mercedes makes a fuss it could cause headaches going through the hassle of getting them to honor certain issues that might arise with engine and/or transmission. I for one wasn't advocating tuning it right away. I'll probably wait at least a year myself to make sure there are no obvious gremlins in the car, but the option exists and it is easy and cheap (relatively speaking of course). Even after the warranty ends if you worry about that, you can tune it then and it'll feel like a new/different vehicle. Secondly, anyone going to a "cavalier aftermarket tuner" and not going to a reputable tuner with a vehicle in this price range is asking for trouble. There are plenty of quality tuners for Mercedes engines. Especially one that has been in half the lineup (Cl550, SL550, GL550, etc.) for many years with higher output (429hp) than the detuned (with the ECU) GL450.

If you want to talk more about this we should probably post in a related thread instead of here.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...50-owners.html
Humourously enough, what you've written doesn't contradict my disdain for the aftermarket vendor/tuners, it just apologies for the 100% risk the owner takes on, while the seller makes no warranty.

Indeed there are reputable aftermarket vendors (I use a Whipple in our GM brand SUV, and that company does warrant their work within limits, as do some companies for Corvettes (now going to superchargers) or long established places like Banks for diesels, etc.) But they all limit their liability. Anyway, good idea to fork off a new thread. If Callaway of Lingenfelter or Banks et al ever put out a complete kit and warrantied (as they do with Vettes) any transmission woes, I'd be tempted.