GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Need help with a 2015 GL350 build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL350
Need help with a 2015 GL350 build

I've already order a 2015 GL350 that will arrive early September and have about 3-4 weeks before my configuration is locked down and I'm unable to make changes. The more I read the more I'm unsure about my current package. As of now this is what I've put together:

-Diamond White paint
-Black MBTex
-Brown Ash Trim
-Premium Package 1
-2nd row sunshade
-Appearance Package
-Trailer Hitch
-3 Zone Climate Control
-Harman/Kardon speakers
-Power Easy Entry
-Lane Tracking Package

I'm 100% sure on the paint color, premium package 1, trailer hitch, 3 zone climate control, and lane tracking. Everything else is up for grabs.

Is MB-Tex better than leather? I have a newborn and a dog that will be riding in the GL and was told MB-Tex will hold up better than leather. The Brown Ash trim looks very real but it also is an open-pore look which I'm not sure will look good...thoughts? 2nd row sun shades are for the newborn and the fact that we will be doing a lot of road trips. Is it worth $380? I got the appearance package because I want the 20" wheels...I'm not sure if the running boards are worth it. How do the running boards look and feel on the GL? Does the GL look better with or without the running boards? Is the Harman/Kardon system worth $850 over the standard speakers? I was talked into the power easy entry because we plan on using the 3rd row and that this would make my wife's life easier...but worth $400?

I didn't get the lighting package but have heard good things about it. Is the only real benefit the fact that they turn when you turn? I want the surround camera view but don't want to spend $1,300 for it because I don't care or want the Parktronic option. I wish I could pay for only the surround view. Thoughts on the value of the $1,300 park assist package?

I know the 2015 specs are not out yet but I'm assuming they will be the same as the 2014. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1st - the 2015 "specs" are all finalized - so there are no questions there.

So you know - for MY2015 the name of your paint is now Designo Diamond White Metallic

A couple of comments - regarding options you might consider that you don't have now:

1) Lighting Package at $1390 especially if you drive 2-lane roads at night - much better night performance - and have your salesperson explain "adaptive headlights" - frankly anyone who has had lighting package will never not have it on their next vehicle

2) Soft Close Doors for $550 - with newborn growing up allows you to close rear doors without "slamming"

3) Wood/Leather steering wheel $590 will add much elegance to cabin look by accenting dash/door trim

4) Heated windshield reservoir $105 a no brainer aids in windshield cleaning and cold weather muck

If you have large SUV driving experience - and have not had "corner bumps" - then decision not to have Parking Assist package would be sensible - if you don't have large SUV driving experience then not having Parking Assist is a not a good call.

5) MB Tex lower wrapped dash and wrapped upper door panels both with contrast stitching for $300 - another addition to elegance and makes cabin much nicer

Now - you might reconsider dropping easy entry since easy entry 2nd row headrests can cause some obstacles in child seat fitting versus the flex 2nd row headrests (also owner removable) in regular 2nd row seats.

Keep the beat !
Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 AM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
1st - the 2015 "specs" are all finalized - so there are no questions there.

So you know - for MY2015 the name of your paint is now Designo Diamond White Metallic

A couple of comments - regarding options you might consider that you don't have now:

1) Lighting Package at $1390 especially if you drive 2-lane roads at night - much better night performance - and have your salesperson explain "adaptive headlights" - frankly anyone who has had lighting package will never not have it on their next vehicle

2) Soft Close Doors for $550 - with newborn growing up allows you to close rear doors without "slamming"

3) Wood/Leather steering wheel $590 will add much elegance to cabin look by accenting dash/door trim

4) Heated windshield reservoir $105 a no brainer aids in windshield cleaning and cold weather muck

If you have large SUV driving experience - and have not had "corner bumps" - then decision not to have Parking Assist package would be sensible - if you don't have large SUV driving experience then not having Parking Assist is a not a good call.

5) MB Tex lower wrapped dash and wrapped upper door panels both with contrast stitching for $300 - another addition to elegance and makes cabin much nicer

Now - you might reconsider dropping easy entry since easy entry 2nd row headrests can cause some obstacles in child seat fitting versus the flex 2nd row headrests (also owner removable) in regular 2nd row seats.

Keep the beat !

What about the H/K sound system over the standard speakers...worth the upgrade? I got the appearance package (2015 they combined the 20" wheels and running boards) and am unsure about the running boards. Would you recommend I upgrade the 20" wheels a la carte and leave the running boards off.

I'm thinking about adjusting my configuration by ADDING the lighting package, heated windshield reservoir, MB lower wrapped dash and REMOVING the H/K sound system, running boards and easy entry.

How well does the Parking Assist functionality work? I currently drive a full size Tahoe so maneuvering a large SUV isn't a problem for me. My wife has a RX350 so the GL350 will be a much larger vehicle for her so I'm considering the Park Assist for the surround parking cameras to help her out.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:11 AM

2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
I can't agree with very much of what fabbrisd1 said, mainly because I'm not a fan of the nickel and diming extra cost options that add no value other than "look nice" to some people. Sure they are "nice to haves", but they do nothing for me and I won't spend extra for them if I can help it.

All that said, the lighting package is worth the $ to me because it adds safety and functionality as well as looks nice. Ours actually doesn't have it, but my previous 3 did, and I miss it a little. It's my wife's SUV and she didn't care, but I can tell a difference. We seem to do fine without it of course, since it still has lights. Since the GL comes with projector Halogens the daytime look is still very much the same, so on the GL it isn't quite as big a difference as say on the C-class that has regular looking halogens. So maybe this is a personal choice thing, but I would add it if it was my build. .
MB-Tex is the way to go if you have small children and pets for sure. I have it in both of my vehicles and I can tell you that baby spit-up cleans right up.
We have the easy-entry, but the head-rest issue is kind of weird. We've managed to make it work, but it causes real headaches for many. I suggest testing it out with your car seat first.
We have the appearance package and I personally like it a lot. The running boards look good, and the wheels and exhaust tips look great. I'm not sure if we would have paid extra if we were ordering it (probably because my wife is short and running boards are useful for her), but ours came with it and I like it.
We wanted the 2nd row sunshades, but the one we bought didn't have it. Our previous one did and we miss it. I say get it if you are ordering it. It's worth it to me.
The HK stereo is a personal preference. I wouldn't pay $6400k for the Burmester stereo on the S-class, but the HK option isn't too much IMHO so I might tick that box. Ours came with it and it works fine. Some people care about that stuff more than I do though.
I agree the $1300 for the surround view is a little steep, but I am glad we have it. The thing is a huge beast and I have used the surround view extensively. I would get it if I was ordering.
Lane Tracking package is a must as well.

Congrats and good luck!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Couple of observations:
- Surround view: if you don't get it, make sure you tell your wife there are no parking sensors that beep (like our former lowly Expedition had). Just the rear camera. My wife drove for 2 weeks under the assumption that a high end vehicle would have that as a basic feature. Lucky nothing got dinged!
- Easy entry: search this forum as there is lengthy discussion on the headrest and car seat issue
- Lighting package: agree with Fab as it really depends on where you drive. We use ours mainly around town, with trips up to the mountains. The standard lights are just fine for my use. Some swear by it though.
- Appearance: we didn't get it and while my wife who is not tall and two kids under 9 have no issues, I could see having running boards wouldn't be a bad thing. Some said they just get your pant legs dirty or wet. Having said that, I'd get the package - I like the look of it. If you store things on top it would be a good idea.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:38 AM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by PkB2014
I can't agree with very much of what fabbrisd1 said, mainly because I'm not a fan of the nickel and diming extra cost options that add no value other than "look nice" to some people. Sure they are "nice to haves", but they do nothing for me and I won't spend extra for them if I can help it.

All that said, the lighting package is worth the $ to me because it adds safety and functionality as well as looks nice. Ours actually doesn't have it, but my previous 3 did, and I miss it a little. It's my wife's SUV and she didn't care, but I can tell a difference. We seem to do fine without it of course, since it still has lights. Since the GL comes with projector Halogens the daytime look is still very much the same, so on the GL it isn't quite as big a difference as say on the C-class that has regular looking halogens. So maybe this is a personal choice thing, but I would add it if it was my build. .
MB-Tex is the way to go if you have small children and pets for sure. I have it in both of my vehicles and I can tell you that baby spit-up cleans right up.
We have the easy-entry, but the head-rest issue is kind of weird. We've managed to make it work, but it causes real headaches for many. I suggest testing it out with your car seat first.
We have the appearance package and I personally like it a lot. The running boards look good, and the wheels and exhaust tips look great. I'm not sure if we would have paid extra if we were ordering it (probably because my wife is short and running boards are useful for her), but ours came with it and I like it.
We wanted the 2nd row sunshades, but the one we bought didn't have it. Our previous one did and we miss it. I say get it if you are ordering it. It's worth it to me.
The HK stereo is a personal preference. I wouldn't pay $6400k for the Burmester stereo on the S-class, but the HK option isn't too much IMHO so I might tick that box. Ours came with it and it works fine. Some people care about that stuff more than I do though.
I agree the $1300 for the surround view is a little steep, but I am glad we have it. The thing is a huge beast and I have used the surround view extensively. I would get it if I was ordering.
Lane Tracking package is a must as well.

Congrats and good luck!
I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the dealership to see some of these specs in person. Problem is when I ordered the GL they didn't have a single 2014 GL on the lot and they still don't have any! Between you and fabbrisd1 I'm 100% going with the lighting package and am about 75% on the Parktronics package. I can just image me (or my wife) scratching the new GL and causing over $1,300 in damage because I cheeped out on the Parktronics. In order to help with the additional $2,600 in options I think the running boards, easy entry and H/K options have to go. I don't have running boards on my Tahoe and I'm sure the standard MB speakers are better than my Chevy speakers.

Do the 20" wheels impact the quality of driving on the highway versus the 19" standard wheels?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by asp55944

Do the 20" wheels impact the quality of driving on the highway versus the 19" standard wheels?
Probably, but I didn't try the 19" so IDK how much. It is still a smooth ride with the 20" wheels.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:57 AM

2013 GL450
I like my 19" wheels as it smooths the ride (some like it smooth) and adds some additional protection from the famous "hit the curb" incidents. I also have a very nice set of 19" winter wheels with snows as well.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the dealership to see some of these specs in person.
I think you've got the right idea there. Take a car seat - see if it works for you with EZ entry (and where your kids head would be), take the wife and see if not having a side rail would bother her!

See if you can see the color combo you like in person (maybe in a different model if they don't have it in a GL). One note on the white you are looking at - there has been some recent issues, normally in the case of repair, where it appears to very hard to match. You may want to read those threads too.

Not sure if there are other dealers around - but call them and ask what they have on the lot too.

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Seems like you are narrowing down on the options nicely. I'm a big fan of the lighting package. I don't have surround view (wasn't available at launch), but love Parktronic for parking in the garage.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:37 PM

2014 ML550
I've already order a 2015 GL350 that will arrive early September and have about 3-4 weeks before my configuration is locked down and I'm unable to make changes. The more I read the more I'm unsure about my current package. As of now this is what I've put together:

-Diamond White paint
-Black MBTex
-Brown Ash Trim
-Premium Package 1
-2nd row sunshade
-Appearance Package
-Trailer Hitch
-3 Zone Climate Control
-Harman/Kardon speakers
-Power Easy Entry
-Lane Tracking Package

I'm 100% sure on the paint color, premium package 1, trailer hitch, 3 zone climate control, and lane tracking. Everything else is up for grabs.

Is MB-Tex better than leather? I have a newborn and a dog that will be riding in the GL and was told MB-Tex will hold up better than leather. The Brown Ash trim looks very real but it also is an open-pore look which I'm not sure will look good...thoughts? 2nd row sun shades are for the newborn and the fact that we will be doing a lot of road trips. Is it worth $380? I got the appearance package because I want the 20" wheels...I'm not sure if the running boards are worth it. How do the running boards look and feel on the GL? Does the GL look better with or without the running boards? Is the Harman/Kardon system worth $850 over the standard speakers? I was talked into the power easy entry because we plan on using the 3rd row and that this would make my wife's life easier...but worth $400?

I didn't get the lighting package but have heard good things about it. Is the only real benefit the fact that they turn when you turn? I want the surround camera view but don't want to spend $1,300 for it because I don't care or want the Parktronic option. I wish I could pay for only the surround view. Thoughts on the value of the $1,300 park assist package?

I know the 2015 specs are not out yet but I'm assuming they will be the same as the 2014. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!
I would hands down order leather. I had a loaner car (after my old ML350 BTC was stolen) and it had MB tex. I absolutely hated it! You stick to it and it just feels fake. Leather has been around forever and will stand up just fine to your dog and kids. I have a lab and although I try to keep her in the back, I occasionally "break the rules" and have her sit in the passenger seat. I never had so much as a scratch in my 2010 ML's leather.
I just picked up my 2014 ML550. I got the Diamond white with the sports package (20" wheels), running boards (with lights) and lighting package. I would highly recommend the running boards (especially with kids) and if you're getting them, get the lights - it looks great. The lighting package offers you the self adjusting hi beams. Very valuable if you travel dark roads. I do, so it was a necessity for me.
Pass on the parking assist package (I didn't get it) and GET THE DRIVERS ASSIST PACKAGE!! You'll regret it if you don't!
The HK Stereo is great, I wouldn't get it without it. At this point you are spending upwards of $80k so why cut back on a few small options. In the long run, you'll be much happier that you got them.
I have the rear sunshades (for the spoiled dog), they seem pretty nice.
I love the heated/cooled cup holders and the heated/ventilated front seats too!
Good luck! Enjoy!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:09 PM

2013 E350 Bluetec, 2008 Audi S4 Avant, 2011 VW Golf TDI, 2015 Audi S3, 2020 GLB250
I would pass on the H/K system. With young kids, all you're going to be listening to is Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse soundtrack anyways, so don't waste your money.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Unless you only plan on keeping your gl a couple of years, get the running boards. Once your kids are around 3 they can start climbing into the car themselves and at 4 they move to a booster seat. Small kids can not climb into or out of the gl easily without the boards. You might have an infant now but you'll want him/her to climb into their own seat in a few years.

I agree with most of what fabbrisd1 suggested but if you are considering the wood steering wheel, test drive any car at the dealership that has one. Personally, they look awesome, but I can't stand the way they feel.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
From my side - I am not trying to "up" anything - the satin wood trim is a awesome fresh look - and the matching wheel really sets off/accents the wood luxury look to the cabin.

The HK system is based on what you will be choosing to listen too - the HK system has greater capability sound wise - based on what music input it is playing - and Logic 7 "opens" up the front sound field much more over standard stereo.

Sat radio nowadays gives more channels/choice - but frankly sound quality has suffered - however the new HD FM stations are awesome - and how much you choose to bring-your-own-music like iTunes wise (preferably with USB stick) - or old school CD's burned to USB stick - as others have said it's where/what you listen to that determines the value to you of the HK option.

Surrond camera is useful in school drop off situations - where there are children or adults running around all sides - great to track that - and the front/rear Parktronic/beep sensors are a good thing since they also detect at corner angles to prevent turn/clipping.

For my customers - MB-Tex has been a godsend especially to families since it's "wet wipe cleanup" and no scratching when putting child seat gear in/out as compared to leather.

The "reason" I might choose to go to leather would be 1st color - Auburn Brown _ and to add ventilated seat feature - but for newborn now frankly MBTex will service you very well. If choosing light color MB/Dupont protection pacakge to prevent dyde/juice color transfer to light color.

Yes - by and large when reaching deep into the 2nd row running boards are helpful - however since the MB running boards (and most other manufacturers running boards - are 1/2 width to prevent catching when turning a corner - some folks find them "akward" or "catching" when entry/exit from front row seats.. tending now more customers seem not to want running boards than want running boards - it's a matter of choice/fit - you can enter/exit ML's with and without running board to see what it "feels" like if the dealer does not have GL's for comparison.

Just trying to help - keep the beat !
Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM

2015 GL350
I finally found a Houston, TX dealer that has a GL350 in stock so I could do a test drive (I just got back!). I drove the GL350 and GL450 (back-to-back) and there is a definite difference in the two SUVs. GL350 is a cruiser and GL450 is a much quicker vehicle...GL350 is defiantly the SUV for me. The GL350 I drove had all the specs included that were in question and it was great to put my hands on the SUV and the play with the options.

This is where I've landed and I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to revise my order. 2015 GL350 to be built with the following options:
-Designo Diamond White paint
-Black MBTex
-Brown Ash Trim
-Premium Package 1
-2nd row sunshade
-20" wheels
-Trailer Hitch
-3 Zone Climate Control
-Harman/Kardon speakers
-Lane Tracking Package
-Lighting Package
-Parktronic with Active Parking Assist
-Heated windshield reservoir
-MB Tex lower wrapped dash

I've decided only to remove the running boards and the power easy entry. I was surprised that the power easy entry only put the seats down and didn't take them back up.

I figured since I'm going to spend my birthday and Christmas budget on this car, might as well load up on all the options :-)

Thanks for the help...everyone's comments were super helpful!!!!!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 PM

Looks like a great build. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Looks like a nice spec. Good call getting rid of the 2nd row entry, that's the only option we got that I wish we hadn't with the head rest issue...
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by Mbenz260e
Looks like a nice spec. Good call getting rid of the 2nd row entry, that's the only option we got that I wish we hadn't with the head rest issue...
+1 same here!!! I tried putting someone else's car seats in our GL for a field trip and it just wouldn't work. Very embarrassing .

We have had our seats in there since day 1 but at some point I will have to do the headrest removal if I need to accommodate other makes/models.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
I finally found a Houston, TX dealer that has a GL350 in stock so I could do a test drive (I just got back!). I drove the GL350 and GL450 (back-to-back) and there is a definite difference in the two SUVs. GL350 is a cruiser and GL450 is a much quicker vehicle...GL350 is defiantly the SUV for me. The GL350 I drove had all the specs included that were in question and it was great to put my hands on the SUV and the play with the options.

This is where I've landed and I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to revise my order. 2015 GL350 to be built with the following options:
-Black MBTex
-Brown Ash Trim
-Premium Package 1
-2nd row sunshade
-20" wheels
-Trailer Hitch
-3 Zone Climate Control
-Harman/Kardon speakers
-Lane Tracking Package
-Lighting Package

I've decided only to remove the running boards and the power easy entry. I was surprised that the power easy entry only put the seats down and didn't take them back up.

I figured since I'm going to spend my birthday and Christmas budget on this car, might as well load up on all the options :-)

Thanks for the help...everyone's comments were super helpful!!!!!
Watched all the comments.....and was ready to offer my "two cents" when I read the "decision" So now my "two cents" are simply a comment: good choices!! you will not regret going the extra for the surround camera even though the park assist function is almost useless, and, the lighting option is critical, and MB tex with kids and dogs......there is NO other choice!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
That's a great config. Congrats, now the waiting begins.

Last edited by JimBarnhart; 06-25-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
-Black MBTex
-Brown Ash Trim
-Premium Package 1
-2nd row sunshade
-20" wheels
-Trailer Hitch
-3 Zone Climate Control
-Harman/Kardon speakers
-Lane Tracking Package
-Lighting Package
"Parktronic with Active Parking Assist" is not the one with Surround Camera. You need the Parking Assist Package for the 360 Camera.

Also, I'd recommend Running Boards.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:47 PM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by Ah_gl450
"Parktronic with Active Parking Assist" is not the one with Surround Camera. You need the Parking Assist Package for the 360 Camera.

Good catch on the Parking Assist Package...just emailed my dealer to make sure he is including the Parking Assist Package and not just the Parktronics. I only care about the surround camera view and paying $970 for only Parktronics would have been a disaster.

My dealer just informed me that the 20" wheels ONLY come in the appearance package which includes the running boards (something new for 2015 GL builds). This is super surprising to me because you can order the running boards separate for a 2015 GL350 and the 2014 GL's can upgrade to the 20" wheels for $750. Makes no sense at all. Thoughts on if it makes sense to buy after market MB 20" wheels and just replace them? I still can't believe MB wont allow you to get the 20" wheels a la carte...ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Actually appreance package is 20"'s and Illuminated Running Boards (as compared to earlier non-illuminated running board) - changing to aftermarket wheels and fresh tires all around not cost effective - really.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Ah_gl450

indeed a good "catch"...... i missed that ..... glad he will be able to correct!!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 PM

2015 GL350
Looks like I'm stuck with the running boards...I guess things could be worse off. I don't care for the running boards but I'm okay having them. I think they will come in handy a few years down the line when the little one get into the GL on her own. Also, they will be helpful when I use the roof rack to store things.

Any other accessories to consider?
-Floor mud mats (dealership or after market)?
-Front car bra for long road trips to keep the bugs out?
-Licence plate cover
-etc?!?!!?

Is there any value in upgrading to the run-flat tires? I don't mind changing a tire and like everyone I have roadside assistance with my credit card (for the wife). Any idea what tires the 20" wheels come with? I'm a Michelin tire guy and would be willing to pay a bit extra to get them if they don't come standard. I'm still shocked I can't get the 20" wheels a la carte. Makes no sense at all. You can order the illuminated running boards a la carte but not the 20" wheels. Last time I bring it up :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help with a 2015 GL350 build