GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2013 GL450 doors opens by itself while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Hmm..now maybe that is possible...any idea how I could check that this is the case. Is there a way to know if the door has latched properly
Old 12-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL550
Interestingly, most cars check for the proper position of the latch for the actual door ajar check rather than the hooter switch (for cars that had those). I feel like for everyone whose door is popping open that the car should have known the latch wasn't in the proper place. I'm going to ask the dealer (which will likely get me nowhere unless I can talk to an experienced tech).

Do we have any good technical resources in this forum... people who really know the car inside and out?

It's been a lifesaver in the Phaeton forum.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GL550
Just picked up our 13 GL550 after the left head was replaced. While it was at the dealer they sorted out the issue with the door locks. The passenger front would not lock with the remote and the passenger rear would not lock with the remote or button inside the car. Dealer said they can't find anything wrong with the front but did have to replace the actuator for the rear. On the drive home, a message came on the cluster that the passenger rear door is ajar. Went immediately back to the dealer and tested the door lock and it's now doing the same thing as when I brought it into the dealer last week except now the door is opening by itself. We're seriously considering an extended warranty now.

Guess it's our fault for getting the car with so many options. Had definitely increased the possibility for things to go awry.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
Originally Posted by chewychiu
I'm having this issue now where one of the rear door is locked but anyone can walk by an open it without my key being near.
I have having dinner and I hear an alarm go off. It was my car with one of the rear door slightly opened. Now I don't know if someone walked by and pulled on the door or the door popped open by itself. I later did some testing and realized that even though the doors are locked, with leaving the car keys far away from the car(keyless go), I can pull that door open and the alarm will go off.
Is this something we can address in our own?
Sorry to bring this thread back to life again but i am having the exact same issue with my 16 GLE. Did the dealer ever fixed it?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
13' GL550, 10' GLK350, MKIV Supra Turbo, MKIII Supra Turbo
I had the same issue where if i let the soft close mechanism pull the door close on its own, the rear passenger door would pop open one click. This happened to me on three occasions while driving locally with out my toddler. i mentioned this to my service manager at MB of Alexandria and he had the technician diagnose and replaced the soft close motors and other parts under warranty.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
Originally Posted by snowflakeGL
I had the same issue where if i let the soft close mechanism pull the door close on its own, the rear passenger door would pop open one click. This happened to me on three occasions while driving locally with out my toddler. i mentioned this to my service manager at MB of Alexandria and he had the technician diagnose and replaced the soft close motors and other parts under warranty.
actually i dont have the soft close, my issue is related to one of the doors being able to open while it is locked and without a key fob. This is something I've never came across in any car I've owned.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X166
Old thread but still,

The other day this thing happened to me again (door unlocks while driving) and it was service due. I told tech adviser that it happened again regardless of replacement of the locks (I had different issue, not sure related to this or not, when you can open a door without fob). When I got the car back, so far is good. I was told that firmware was upgraded. I am not an automotive engineer, but something tells me that it was mechanical.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 AM

GL550
Unhappy

Originally Posted by tarantas
Old thread but still,

The other day this thing happened to me again (door unlocks while driving) and it was service due. I told tech adviser that it happened again regardless of replacement of the locks (I had different issue, not sure related to this or not, when you can open a door without fob). When I got the car back, so far is good. I was told that firmware was upgraded. I am not an automotive engineer, but something tells me that it was mechanical.
Ditto, I know this is old but same thing just happened to me while driving on the highway. The driver door opened but was still latched and you could hear the wind noise. The cabin lights turned on, the dash displayed car door open. Had to pull over slam the door shut. Pretty scary for something like this to happen.
I also have soft close doors and tend to use the soft close to close the doors.

I read the entire thread but didn't see anyone chime in with a definitive fix. Is there actually a TSB for this we can reference when going in for service?

On a separate note, the in case people haven't kept up with recent reports, the issue with the doors being unlocked even though you've locked/armed the car is a separate issue that almost certainly requires a replacement of the door lock actuators.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by BOSGL550
On a separate note, the in case people haven't kept up with recent reports, the issue with the doors being unlocked even though you've locked/armed the car is a separate issue that almost certainly requires a replacement of the door lock actuators.
Do you have more information on this? This is the problem that I am having. Even though the car is locked/armed, you can come up to the car without the key, pull the door handle and the door opens and the alarm goes off. If there is a TSB on this issue, I would appreciate it if someone can post it.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 AM

GL550
Hey abhansali,
I'm hoping there's a TSB for this too but none that I have found.
Check out this recent thread to catch up on what has been discovered.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ng-locked.html
Old 10-15-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 Evo X GSR & 2014 GL550 & 2012 A6 3.0T
This only ever happened to me a couple of times within a week's timespan. I brought it up with the dealer but unless they can repeat it and know what to fix, they said they couldn't proceed. It never happened again. I have the soft close option on my 550. It looks like soft-close latching IS the problem, since I don't see any reports from non soft-close owners on here.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by BOSGL550
Hey abhansali,
I'm hoping there's a TSB for this too but none that I have found.
Check out this recent thread to catch up on what has been discovered.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ng-locked.html
Thank BOSGL550 for sending the thread. I had not seen this thread. Very helpful.

Apurva
Old 10-15-2018, 03:18 PM

GL550
No worries Apurva, good luck!
Old 07-02-2021, 10:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I just experienced my front driver door unlcoking as I was driving. It did not fully open but the secondary latch gives and the safety latch keeps the door closed. I do have soft close door option as well. After reading this thread, I also went to check if my doors unlock without the key fob on me. I noticed that there is an intermittent issue with the rear passenger door. It cannot be replicated each time but it has happened as I tried today.

I do not really feel like going to the dealership, but I'll have to make an appointment to at least update the firmware for the soft close doors that may remedy the door unlocking itself while driving. I may try to replace the actuator myself as long as I can find the correct part number.

If anyone has the part number for the rear passenger actuator for a 2014 W166, please let me know!
Old 01-25-2024, 07:51 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 350
Same here with 2020 GLE 350

Originally Posted by Dabass
Hello. I have experienced several occasions on this issue. While driving the front passenger will opens by itself and there's no warning on the dash telling you that the door is open. Recently, the rear passenger door completely opened while having a 3 year old toddler sitting in her car seat luckily she was secured. Have any one have experienced the same issues like us?? Please help! Love the car not the safety feature so far!
​​​​​​
This has happened to me twice now in as many weeks. 2020 GLE 350.

First time was the rear passenger door with nobody but me in the vehicle and again today with the front driver side door. Both times on the highway.