GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Baby Seat Question: Middle Seat, 2nd Row

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
--
Baby Seat Question: Middle Seat, 2nd Row

Can anyone with experience tell me the max width that the middle seat in the second row can accommodate without compromising the easy-entry stowing away of the second row seat (passenger side)?

Put another way, I'd like an infant seat outboard, behind driver, second row. I'd also like a second seat, a convertible (Clek Ooonf, 17" wide) in the middle seat, second row. I'd like this setup so I can keep the passenger side seat in the second row unoccupied so that this seat may be folded away, allowing easy ingress/egress to the third row.

Just trying to get a handle on what width a seat will allow for this.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-15-2015, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you are talking about a clip-in child seat - please note there are 4 2nd row Iso-Fix clip-ins - two each outboard side - so center seat requires clipping into innermost passenger side Iso-Fix.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:42 PM

--
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
If you are talking about a clip-in child seat - please note there are 4 2nd row Iso-Fix clip-ins - two each outboard side - so center seat requires clipping into innermost passenger side Iso-Fix.
Ty for the reply. Let me clarify.

The two outboard seats have latch/iso-fix attachments (as do the two seats in the third row, for that matter). The center seat in the second row does not have latch/iso-fix. For this seat, my intent is to install a Clek Oonf convertible car seat. This seat measures 17" wide. I'm wondering, if I were to install this child seat in the middle seat (using the seat belt) is it possible to fold down the "40" portion of the 60/40 second row (the seat on the right/passenger side of the vehicle) with the Clek installed or does the seat obstruct the easy-entry process ?

So my question boils down to how wide the center seat is
Old 02-15-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Originally Posted by eliontakis
Can anyone with experience tell me the max width that the middle seat in the second row can accommodate without compromising the easy-entry stowing away of the second row seat (passenger side)?

Put another way, I'd like an infant seat outboard, behind driver, second row. I'd also like a second seat, a convertible (Clek Ooonf, 17" wide) in the middle seat, second row. I'd like this setup so I can keep the passenger side seat in the second row unoccupied so that this seat may be folded away, allowing easy ingress/egress to the third row.

Just trying to get a handle on what width a seat will allow for this.

Thanks in advance
you can't use the clek in the center space as it has fixed attachment points.

we have a 4 & 6 yo...
when we want to use the arrangement that you are describing.. our 6 yo will always want to ride in the back (and I don't use the clek at this point because the seat belt strap is low enough on her neck all the way in the back.. in fact.. we have been known to put 3 kids all the way in the back strapped in sharing one of the seat belts... not ideal but it works when two families of 4 wanna go out to dinner.

also.. she fits nicely in the middle seat and again, the belt is low enough on her neck.. in the past, we have used a smaller blowup booster that worked reasonably well to get her high enough with the shoulder strap. It also was thinner than the klek and wouldn't interfere with the folding seat.

I've also traveled extensively to our beach house with the nanny sitting in between the two car seats or later Klek booster and car seat. (we have two large dogs that travel usually in the back)

lastly, do you understand the headrest difficulty because it sticks out on the easy entry cars? it becomes a problem with bigger kids and certainly adults... you might look at the posts about the issue... scanning my past messages and you will see a solution with pictures that I have used.. PM directly if you'd like to discuss.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:05 PM

--
Originally Posted by cyclrder
you can't use the clek in the center space as it has fixed attachment points.

we have a 4 & 6 yo...
when we want to use the arrangement that you are describing.. our 6 yo will always want to ride in the back (and I don't use the clek at this point because the seat belt strap is low enough on her neck all the way in the back.. in fact.. we have been known to put 3 kids all the way in the back strapped in sharing one of the seat belts... not ideal but it works when two families of 4 wanna go out to dinner.

also.. she fits nicely in the middle seat and again, the belt is low enough on her neck.. in the past, we have used a smaller blowup booster that worked reasonably well to get her high enough with the shoulder strap. It also was thinner than the klek and wouldn't interfere with the folding seat.

I've also traveled extensively to our beach house with the nanny sitting in between the two car seats or later Klek booster and car seat. (we have two large dogs that travel usually in the back)

lastly, do you understand the headrest difficulty because it sticks out on the easy entry cars? it becomes a problem with bigger kids and certainly adults... you might look at the posts about the issue... scanning my past messages and you will see a solution with pictures that I have used.. PM directly if you'd like to discuss.
First of all, ty for all your extensive sharing and help with the headrest issue. I haven't decided how I want to proceed with that yet, but without your work and the help of others, I wouldn't even be aware of the issue nor would i be aware of the most practical ways of addressing it. It's a big issue for me, no doubt about it.

The first question that must be addressed for me, however, is how I'd potentially set up three car seats.

Car seat 1: convertible/booster in the third row for my 2.5 yr old. Check, no problem there. likely a clek back there.

Car seats 2,3: infant car seat (snugride 30) and convertible for 1.5 yr old (another clek foonf).

So my planned orientation was infant seat behind driver (for easy clicking in/out of the baby while in the seat) and Clek (or other convertible for 1.5 yr old) in center seat, provided the center seat is wide enough so as to not obstruct the easy entry operation of the right most seat in the second row.

As you touched on, the Clek is fixed distance for latch/iso-fix. My intent was to install it using the seat belt, provided the middle seat is wide enough. I know the base of the clek is the least wide area of the seat (14" or so) and that the seat is 17" at its widest. Will that be a deal breaker? Will it obstruct the easy entry of the 40 portion of the 2nd row?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly the best way to answer the question is to test fit at the dealer - with the proliferation of child seats - it's the best way to know...
Old 02-15-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
First of all, ty for all your extensive sharing and help with the headrest issue. I haven't decided how I want to proceed with that yet, but without your work and the help of others, I wouldn't even be aware of the issue nor would i be aware of the most practical ways of addressing it. It's a big issue for me, no doubt about it.

The first question that must be addressed for me, however, is how I'd potentially set up three car seats.

Car seat 1: convertible/booster in the third row for my 2.5 yr old. Check, no problem there. likely a clek back there.

Car seats 2,3: infant car seat (snugride 30) and convertible for 1.5 yr old (another clek foonf).

So my planned orientation was infant seat behind driver (for easy clicking in/out of the baby while in the seat) and Clek (or other convertible for 1.5 yr old) in center seat, provided the center seat is wide enough so as to not obstruct the easy entry operation of the right most seat in the second row.

As you touched on, the Clek is fixed distance for latch/iso-fix. My intent was to install it using the seat belt, provided the middle seat is wide enough. I know the base of the clek is the least wide area of the seat (14" or so) and that the seat is 17" at its widest. Will that be a deal breaker? Will it obstruct the easy entry of the 40 portion of the 2nd row?
I think that you are going to be in a pickle till the kids get into at least in a booster (second row.. car seat-booster-car seat)...... OR! we had on numerous occasions put two brittax car seats all the way back in the third row.. then you could put the baby behind the passenger seat. then you could flip down the seat behind the driver (which is a larger) giving you access to both kids in the third row...

or buy a Toyota Sienna (you are so on the verge of having to have a minivan).. I applaud your effort here!

btw.. you really want to keep the kids in the car seats as long as possible... mine were always really bad about leaning over or getting out from under the shoulder strap once we converted to the Clek chair (I have a Clek car seat and a booster) (I should have stayed with the brittax longer with the 4 point harness)

hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350; 2011 E90 M3
We have a Clek Foonf installed rear facing in the center seat of our GL using the seatbelt (the Rigid Latch doesn't function rear facing anyway). The 40 portion is able to fold forward, but you do need to shove the carseat a bit to keep it out of the way of the operation. The Foonf has the added benefit of being narrow enough to poke between the front seats, so it doesn't impact legroom in the front.

We tried the outboard seats, too, but have the multimedia screens in the back which meant no legroom in the front while still rear facing.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:03 PM

--
Originally Posted by skiborsy
We have a Clek Foonf installed rear facing in the center seat of our GL using the seatbelt (the Rigid Latch doesn't function rear facing anyway). The 40 portion is able to fold forward, but you do need to shove the carseat a bit to keep it out of the way of the operation. The Foonf has the added benefit of being narrow enough to poke between the front seats, so it doesn't impact legroom in the front.

We tried the outboard seats, too, but have the multimedia screens in the back which meant no legroom in the front while still rear facing.
Any opinion if it would fit forward facing and allow for the 40 portion to fold forward? Looking for a convertible that would.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:39 PM

2014 GL350; 2011 E90 M3
It should be the same width facing either direction (the widest point is right around the belt path).

However, the main benefit of the Foonf over the newer Clek Fllo, as I understand it, is Rigid Latch. If you use the seat belt in the middle seat, and not Rigid Latch, I'm not sure there's a reason to spend the extra $50-$100 for the Foonf over the Fllo. I believe the Cleks and the Radians are the narrowest forward facing convertible car seats these days.

Also, be forewarned that the Foonf is a BEAST to travel with on a plane due to weight and the travel bag you can get is absolutely massive.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 AM

--
Originally Posted by skiborsy
It should be the same width facing either direction (the widest point is right around the belt path).

However, the main benefit of the Foonf over the newer Clek Fllo, as I understand it, is Rigid Latch. If you use the seat belt in the middle seat, and not Rigid Latch, I'm not sure there's a reason to spend the extra $50-$100 for the Foonf over the Fllo. I believe the Cleks and the Radians are the narrowest forward facing convertible car seats these days.

Also, be forewarned that the Foonf is a BEAST to travel with on a plane due to weight and the travel bag you can get is absolutely massive.
Very good point about Foonf vs Filo, and also the weight considerations of Foonf.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Those that install car seats will understand what I mean.

I tried 3 radian r100 FF across the 2nd row, and they would not fit naturally. These are by far the narrowest seat in overall width not just at the base.

By naturally, I mean let the 2 outer seats rest in the seat contours.

The only way could get 3 across is to position the outer 2 onto the outer seat portions freeing up the center space. So 2 radians would work as long as you're fine shifting them to the side.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:03 PM

--
Originally Posted by jenz
Those that install car seats will understand what I mean.

I tried 3 radian r100 FF across the 2nd row, and they would not fit naturally. These are by far the narrowest seat in overall width not just at the base.

By naturally, I mean let the 2 outer seats rest in the seat contours.

The only way could get 3 across is to position the outer 2 onto the outer seat portions freeing up the center space. So 2 radians would work as long as you're fine shifting them to the side.
Got it..crazy 3 across wouldn't fit naturally. I figured that would be a layup for that seat and/or the Foonf (which like the r100 is also 17" at its widest)

Come July I'll have a 3 yr old, a 1.5 yr old, and a new born. Out of the gate, I'm thinking Clek Foonf on two outer seats, then infant seat in center to start.

Then, a year later, go Foonf, Foonf, Oobr (17", 17", 15"ish or so)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 PM

S, GL
Got it..crazy 3 across wouldn't fit naturally. I figured that would be a layup for that seat and/or the Foonf (which like the r100 is also 17" at its widest)

Come July I'll have a 3 yr old, a 1.5 yr old, and a new born. Out of the gate, I'm thinking Clek Foonf on two outer seats, then infant seat in center to start.

Then, a year later, go Foonf, Foonf, Oobr (17", 17", 15"ish or so)
We have Foonf and Oobrs, too. The only reason, IMHO, to use the Foonf is to take advantage of the rigid latch FF ability, but if you do this, you cannot fit anything for a larger child in the center. With 2 Foonf latched in the outer seats (and when latched, the seat is forced to lie in the natural contours) the ONLY thing I can fit in the middle is a Graco Snugride 30 on its base - and it is very tight.

If you want to keep the 2 Foonfs in the outer seats, you should be ok transitioning your eldest to a booster in the center (albeit earlier than people will tell you he should come out of a 5 point harness).

Don't get me wrong, we love the Foonf, but they are much bigger than marketing will have you believe, and that's the issue.

Obviously, if you're ok using the 3rd row, then you have many more possibilities especially if you leave the 40% 2nd row folded forward giving more legroom to at least 1 seat in the third row.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:50 AM

--
We have Foonf and Oobrs, too. The only reason, IMHO, to use the Foonf is to take advantage of the rigid latch FF ability, but if you do this, you cannot fit anything for a larger child in the center. With 2 Foonf latched in the outer seats (and when latched, the seat is forced to lie in the natural contours) the ONLY thing I can fit in the middle is a Graco Snugride 30 on its base - and it is very tight.

If you want to keep the 2 Foonfs in the outer seats, you should be ok transitioning your eldest to a booster in the center (albeit earlier than people will tell you he should come out of a 5 point harness).

Don't get me wrong, we love the Foonf, but they are much bigger than marketing will have you believe, and that's the issue.

Obviously, if you're ok using the 3rd row, then you have many more possibilities especially if you leave the 40% 2nd row folded forward giving more legroom to at least 1 seat in the third row.
Tyvm. I actually have a snugride 30 that I could use in the middle.

I guess alternately, I could add in an r100 or filo in place of one or both foonfs that way I have freedom to fit the outboard seats a shade out of the natural contours (freeing up a little more room for the infant seat in the middle).

very helpful ty
Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 AM

S, GL
You're welcome, and I think that would work.

This is one of the reasons a healthy market will always exist for Tahoes, Suburbans, etc those swallow car seats with no issue.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:23 AM

--
You're welcome, and I think that would work.

This is one of the reasons a healthy market will always exist for Tahoes, Suburbans, etc those swallow car seats with no issue.
Totally agree. Just dump it all in the Yukon XL any way you want
Old 03-03-2015, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Have you considered the Diono Radian RXT? That is the narrowest car seat in the market. Unlike the Clek Foonf, you can actually use it when your child is older as a booster. It is also rated for use for newborns. I have both the Radian RXT and Rainier.

The best part is, when the time comes, you can seat 3 across the middle row.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:27 AM

--
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Have you considered the Diono Radian RXT? That is the narrowest car seat in the market. Unlike the Clek Foonf, you can actually use it when your child is older as a booster. It is also rated for use for newborns. I have both the Radian RXT and Rainier.

Thank you very much for the reco. Exactly the seat I'm going with when it's all said and done.

Liked the Rainier but a shade too wide for me, it appears
Old 03-03-2015, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Thank you very much for the reco. Exactly the seat I'm going with when it's all said and done.

Liked the Rainier but a shade too wide for me, it appears
My 11 month daughter loves her Radian RXT, she doesn't fuss or cry when she's in it. The Rainier definitely gets a lot wider at the shoulder than the Radian. Don't forget to buy the angle adjuster, it makes a huge difference in resolving potential fitment issues. The only thing that is better about the Rainier is the extra 2 years of service life.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 gl350
This whole car seat issue is why we looked at a Sequoia which has sliding seats that will let you keep a seat attached and still get to the third row. It's great in theory if you can handle driving a Sequoia as opposed to a GL. My wife couldn't so we deal with car seat fun. I have 4 kids and 2 (almost 2 and 3 year old) are in car seats. Even the narrowest ones would be hard pressed to go next to each other in the second row and still not interfere with the easy entry. We keep one seat in the third row passenger side that my 3 old uses but it is a pia to get him buckled. My back can attest to that. The GL just is not set up well for 2 car seats and access to the third row. And this is why i drive a tuned up S6. :-)
Old 03-05-2015, 01:33 PM

S, GL
Originally Posted by I am Jeff

If you child is old enough, you should test out the headwings on the RXT vs not having them on the R100/120. There is a love/hate relationship with them so just depends on your use.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLS63, Audi RS7, Audi R8, GMC Sierra Denali
Another great car for 3 car seats is the Qx80 from infiniti, drives great and lots of power, very smooth, we also have the sequoia which has 6 latch attachments in the 2nd row. We just got rid of the Qx and got a GL. I have 2 in Clek booster seats and just ordered a Harmony V6, I just hope it fits between my Clek.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:14 PM

S, GL
Originally Posted by md4babes
I have 2 in Clek booster seats and just ordered a Harmony V6, I just hope it fits between my Clek.
IIRC no chance assuming you're FF and rigid latching either the Foonf or Oobr's.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:29 PM
stm

04 M3 - 09 C63 - 14 GL450
I am in the same situation, trying to fit two radians on the "60" side and still allow entry to 3rd row. Did you ever find out if this is even possible?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Baby Seat Question: Middle Seat, 2nd Row