GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2016 GLS Rumors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by JoeMa
Anyone still doubt there will be a 2016 GLS? Of course, when we can order and see a GLS in a showroom is another thing entirely.

Thanks for the post rougetrooper.
I actually think he's referring to the LA Auto show, which means it'll be a 2017 perhaps.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X5
I don't think MB will skip a year model and jump to 2017 year model. Based on all the rumours, actual statements and leaked documents. Orders will start in July 2015 and hit the dealers late August/September.

Last edited by rougetrooper; 04-03-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by rougetrooper
I don't think MB will skip a year model and jump to 2017 year model. Based on all the rumours, actual statements and leaked documents. Orders will start in July 2015 and hit the dealers late August/September.
I don't think it has to skip a year, 2016 GL will come out in July, but the 2017 GLS with the refresh comes out at LA auto show for sale next yr.

But just a guess, you could be right.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by jenz
This. I wonder what the "my sources say next spring" people will say now? The earlier interviews weren't enough, the document wasn't enough so hopefully now a 2nd interview will eliminate any doubt.
Introduced in calendar year 2016 and available for purchase in calendar year 2016 are two entirely different things. And no official distinction has been made, to my knowledge, to believe the latter is definitively happening.

If anything, the attached document implies a Spring 2016 or later available for purchase date.

The order bank for 2016s is still not open, though, so maybe we'll get some definitive clarity in the coming weeks when it does open.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 GLS Rumors-screen-shot-2015-04-03-5.10.26-pm.png  

Last edited by bonboon; 04-03-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:37 PM

X5
Originally Posted by JoeMa
That looks official, where did you get it?

I don't think this was made up. In addition to other information provided, I'll hedge my bet on having the GLS at the dealers this year.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 PM

--
I don't think this was made up. In addition to other information provided, I'll hedge my bet on having the GLS at the dealers this year.
That document looks legit to me. Are the GLE dates listed consistent with what Mercedes has been communicating at the NY Auto Show?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
I found this here which is more recent ....

https://www.elementfleet.com/news-re...start-up-dates

Old 04-05-2015, 08:47 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2024 GLS 580. Formerly 2015 GL 550, 2003 S430.
The bigger question though, is, when will the face-lifted GL/GLS be announced and available?

2016's may or may not be called GLS, but that's just a name. The more interesting part, is it the face-lifted version? And being announced on a stage in Geneva or Chicago or New York is very different from being out in the showrooms, available for purchase.

Time will tell I guess.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by w220430
The bigger question though, is, when will the face-lifted GL/GLS be announced and available?

2016's may or may not be called GLS, but that's just a name. The more interesting part, is it the face-lifted version? And being announced on a stage in Geneva or Chicago or New York is very different from being out in the showrooms, available for purchase.

Time will tell I guess.

The face-lifted version was not at the NYAS. Why would MB release a GLS without the face-lift? So far I believe every vehicle released with the new nomenclature has a face-lift. It would only make sense.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jerome8283
The face-lifted version was not at the NYAS. Why would MB release a GLS without the face-lift? So far I believe every vehicle released with the new nomenclature has a face-lift. It would only make sense.
Completely agree. That's why it's so strange that we haven't seen any real face-lifted GL(S) pictures yet (except for the spy photos). If the face-lifted GLS is to start production 7/1, why no real pics as of yet?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:46 AM

GLS450
Completely agree. That's why it's so strange that we haven't seen any real face-lifted GL(S) pictures yet (except for the spy photos). If the face-lifted GLS is to start production 7/1, why no real pics as of yet?

Good question.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 AM

BMW Z4 35is, Volvo XC60 T6
Gents,

Please don't take me wrong, but this whole discussion is getting a little annoying.
Sinds there is a lot of copy past going on on the Internet, we might see some other documents with the previous announced dates
Old 04-05-2015, 10:54 AM

BMW Z4 35is, Volvo XC60 T6
Gents,

Please don't take me wrong, but this whole discussion is getting a little annoying.
Sinds there is a lot of copy past going on on the Internet, we might see some other documents with the previous announced dates. This dates are in my opinion just to clarify the start date for the MY16. And they don't reflect anything about the facelift.
My dealer told me clearly that the facelift will be available for order from July 2016, which is MY17. This might also be the reason that MB hasn't officially announced or presented any fotos. I'll expect the facelift to be presented end of the year.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Originally Posted by Bamoes
Gents,

Sinds there is a lot of copy past going on on the Internet, we might see some other documents with the previous announced dates. This dates are in my opinion just to clarify the start date for the MY16. And they don't reflect anything about the facelift.
My dealer told me clearly that the facelift will be available for order from July 2016, which is MY17. This might also be the reason that MB hasn't officially announced or presented any fotos. I'll expect the facelift to be presented end of the year.
I guess what is annoying for you, maybe informative to others (if people are still discussing this)?

It's an important question to me as I look to move into my next GL. Just a change in the name - to GLS - doesn't bother me, but the facelift is important.

No offense to your sales guy, but why should we believe him anymore than what someone else posts on the Internet? I hope he is wrong, but there's just as much chance that he is correct
Old 04-05-2015, 11:09 AM

GLS450
Gents,

This is no internet copy and paste:

Stephen Cannon, president and CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA:

Cannon, also responsible for the entire North American market, explained the company’s new naming strategy prior to the New York show: “It’s pretty simple: GL means SUV and stems from our classic G-Class … And the final letter stands for the platform. We set our SUV entry point with the GLA. A refreshed GLK will become the GLC. Later this year the GL will become the GLS, the S-Class of our SUV lineup.” (Be prepared ---there will be a pop quiz on all this at the end of the class). … The star of the show, a plug-in hybrid offering a 329-horesepower V-6 with another 114 hp of electric power and range of about 25 km, won’t be coming to Canada in part because Canadians favour the diesel engine while Americans disfavour the diesel.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:03 PM

--
Gents,

Assuming that July build date/order bank opening is indeed legit, if this isn't the refresh, why would orders for 16 begin so far after when they typically do for a given model year (April-ish) ?
Old 04-05-2015, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Trying to help - please understand that model-name/changever is a branding issue for this next model year changeover - and is NOT linked to facelift or redesign.

Initial Dealer Order Guides will be released this month - model-by-model - perhaps as soon as next week.

The DOG's (Dealer Order Guides) are the "bible" so-to-speak for the new model year - and so you are aware the DOG's are updated/revised about every 60 days for two or three 60 day cycles or as MB product management might decide to add a revised/different/new accessory "package".

Initial DOG's do NOT have suggested MSRP for the new model year base model - initial DOG's normally have preassigned MSRP's for options and accessories - and for GL/ML in the past the initial DOG's have been spot on with that regard to options/accessories.

Now - to the MB document posted here - which is accurate as of last month regards to official date changeovers for the model production lines(s) at Vance.

In the event there are two production lines for a model - let's say for example two lines in this case for GL - often one line will get converted earlier in June to startup next model year production - then the 2nd/remaining lines are coverted "normally" to initiate after July 4th weekend.

Initial model year production is held at VPC - accumulates so-to-spek - until product management decides to release to retail in a "herd" to fan out across the country all/about same time.

On dealer "order bank" - some here are trying to become arm-chair experts - and I get that. "order Bank" technically is the ability to enter a unallocated order for a model - for factory review to pickup that new unit order.

In practical case with GL's - this model is a allocated model - and the term "order bank" does not apply - so in that respect the MB document that was posted is corporate correct - but for GL nonsensical.

Initial GL allocations most likely will be "loaded" early May - on each allocated order slot dealer specs out that slot, and that slot is initially changeable (if changeable option is available) under normal production lead times.

Now - on specific model changes for the GL - until DOG release nothing is official - period - and all the rest is chatter/chatter/chatter/chatter/chatter.

For Fall - I reasonably expect 2016 GL's to be even a bit tighter in US market this upcoming year than they were last year - frankly at MSRP with competitive offerings coming out higher/higher/higher - GL business has been overall strong.

For 2015 GL350's have been a bit slower that the original increased projection for 2014, GL450's have been a bit faster than projected and as a result tighter now than most expected, GL550's have been about spot on and a need to push on expended higher-end offering $115K-$125K.

MB product management working for clean retail inventory levels in North America - and a increasing world wide demand will soak up production increases.

In two years Vance will become a US auto production showcase - with C-Class now added, Metris for Sprinter, and ultimately the GLC - this year the target is 330K vehicles and 2016 target hope to execeed 400K - and that's a LOT of KUKA robot's !
Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

model-name/changever is a branding issue for this next model year changeover - and is NOT linked to facelift or redesign.
And this, is exactly the key point. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:38 PM

X5
Here are three things that is not chatter but certainty:
1) a refreshed GLS branded GL will hit the dealer showrooms in the fall
2) the refreshed GLS will have an upgraded dash just like that in the refreshed GLE
3) the refreshed GLS will have updated head and tail lights and minor changes to the front and rear facia.

Don't ask me why I am so certain - my eyes will get gorged out. I'll come back to comment on this in a few weeks when all 3 points have become public knowledge.

tata.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
2) the refreshed GLS will have an upgraded dash just like that in the refreshed GLE
3) the refreshed GLS will have updated head and tail lights and minor changes to the front and rear facia.

Don't ask me why I am so certain - my eyes will get gorged out. I'll come back to comment on this in a few weeks when all 3 points have become public knowledge.

tata.
Will heads up display be an option?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:00 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Wink

tata.
Can't wait until you are able to speak further! As a side note, and not going against what you just stated, but I was at NYIAS yesterday. Upstairs near the GLE, when I started asking questions, I was directed to see a specific gentlemen downstairs near the current GL. He answered a few of my questions about the GLE, but when I brought up the GLS, long story short, said he couldn't comment. What he did say though was that the GLE should be in showrooms by September, to look for the GLS to debut at at an auto show in the fall, and that he basically wasn't allowed to say which show nor when it would be in showrooms.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
As I mentioned before, look for the refreshed GLS to be shown at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September. I've read nothing firm about when it would go into production because frankly, I don't think MB has yet decided on a date.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:07 PM

--
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11504079...le-in-december

Official pics in Aug, will be shown at Frankfurt Show in Sept, Deliveries start in Jan 16, according to that article.

Off topic but has anyone here been invited to attend something at the Meadowlands in Secaucus NJ on April 18/19? It's an invite only new product presentation of some kind for owners of SUVs (I was invited for owning a Land Rover). I was told new SUVs will be shown from Cadillac, Mercedes, Infiniti and others..SUVs that are not on the market yet. I'm skeptical, don't want to waste my two hours even for 200 bucks. But would be awesome to see say the GLS.

Last edited by bonboon; 04-07-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The 2016 Dealer order Guide has been released on NetStar to your dealers - so give your dealer a call....
Old 04-09-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
The 2016 Dealer order Guide has been released on NetStar to your dealers - so give your dealer a call....
Did anyone get their hands on the order guide yet? Anything new?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2016 GLS Rumors