GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Ceramic coating + PPM (Xpel) = overkill?

Old 03-08-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL550
Ceramic coating + PPM (Xpel) = overkill?

Hello all,

Dont know if Im getting emotionally driven or is it a prudent decision to get Xpel PPM with 10yr warranty (complete front hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, headlights, rear bumper, arches) and Ceramic coating on top to protect the paint for my preowned 2013 GL550 white that I recently brought. Even though it is preowned, fortunately there are no chips or scratches that are visible.

Im planning on keeping the rig for a while (5 years atleast) and hence was considering the ceramic coating and PPM. Im getting quotes around $3000.

What do you guys suggest? Should I do both or just do one or the other? Is the investment worth it, especially if I keep the rig longer term?

TIA,
John
Old 03-08-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Worth it

Originally Posted by techfutbol
Hello all,

Dont know if Im getting emotionally driven or is it a prudent decision to get Xpel PPM with 10yr warranty (complete front hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, headlights, rear bumper, arches) and Ceramic coating on top to protect the paint for my preowned 2013 GL550 white that I recently brought. Even though it is preowned, fortunately there are no chips or scratches that are visible.

Im planning on keeping the rig for a while (5 years atleast) and hence was considering the ceramic coating and PPM. Im getting quotes around $3000.

What do you guys suggest? Should I do both or just do one or the other? Is the investment worth it, especially if I keep the rig longer term?

TIA,
John
If you're planning on keeping it for a long time, it'll be worth it. The piece of mind with xpel and the low maintenance benefit of ceramic coating is well worth it. I have xpel in the full front with Modesta throughout the car, and everyday I know it's money well spent.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by Thrilla
If you're planning on keeping it for a long time, it'll be worth it. The piece of mind with xpel and the low maintenance benefit of ceramic coating is well worth it. I have xpel in the full front with Modesta throughout the car, and everyday I know it's money well spent.
Agreed!....

I too got XPEL on full hood\Front Bumper\Fenders\Mirrors, with Opti-Coat on rest of the body, and mine is a Black GL. So every time I see hood and then rest of the body I could clearly see the Swirls all over the body. And when a person knows XPEL\Opti-Coat\Modesta etc you dont need to ask him how a Black Car is washed because I follow 2-4 Buckets Method with expensive drying clothes and etc etc but still I cant avoid the Swirls completely, XPEL is the thing which avoids the Swirls completely. So I would say go for it with XPEL Ultimate and make sure you cover the Tailgate as well because when you clean your Rear Tail Gate Glass in Snow all the mud etc directly impacts the Tailgate creating heavy scratches\deep swirls.

And for some Opti-Coat\Modesta is Rich Mans Polish and I some what agree with it because with Opti-Coat I couldn't avoid Swirls its more like water Repleant polish, not sure how Modesta\Glass Coat is but again compare to PPF\Xpel all are junk. I would invest more and get permanent solution and cover the whole care with Xpel I could have done that when I bought the GL new instead of spending $1500 on Opti-Coat plus the paint correction fee all other **** they charge the XPEL would have been better option, at-least I didnt have to worry about Swirls and other scratches\Stone Chips which is easily been seen on Black.
Black is a 6 footer car you cant be close and see Black.

Just realized that you got White so the best would be only front covering with XPEL whole body for white is just money in drain. Just go with front XPel and Modesta with rest of the body and $3000 is a awesome price just make sure the person is experienced and knows what he is doing.

Last edited by Dreamszalone; 03-08-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Outrageous pricing.... XPEL - or I personally prefer 3M Ventureshield over XPEL for solid reasons - correct handcut job full coverage should be $900-$1100.

On Opti-Coat/CeraCoat, etc... that is your choice to make .... not my thing... ..

Once your paint has been clay's and/or correctly polished (#2 will be fine)...

Then I go with Einzette Glanzwax sealant (wipe-on/wipe-off) - top coat with any decent spray Carnuba (spray-on/wipe-off)... $35 in chemicals and fresh top coat in 4-6 months..

Keep the beat !
Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 PM

2015 - GL 550
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Outrageous pricing.... XPEL - or I personally prefer 3M Ventureshield over XPEL for solid reasons - correct handcut job full coverage should be $900-$1100.

On Opti-Coat/CeraCoat, etc... that is your choice to make .... not my thing... ..

Once your paint has been clay's and/or correctly polished (#2 will be fine)...

Then I go with Einzette Glanzwax sealant (wipe-on/wipe-off) - top coat with any decent spray Carnuba (spray-on/wipe-off)... $35 in chemicals and fresh top coat in 4-6 months..

Keep the beat !
Fab $3K is nothing a good detailer charges arm and a leg for this kind of jobs, especially when the golden words come out of their mouth PAINT Correction needed and they roughly through 12-15 hours of labor @$50-60 per hr.
Anyway 3M new product is good, but XPEL gets 10 year warranty compare to 7 Yr from 3M. Lot of people go with XPEL over 3M for a reason because 3M was busy throwing crap to customers for years whereas a new startup like XPEL made their way up with a good product. So now people have a double thought over 3M.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:37 PM

2015 - GL 550
Hello all,

TIA,
John

Also most important when you get the PPF make sure its with Wrapped edges not a pre-cut because with Pre-Cut you as the vehicle\film ages you can see all the Mud\Wax in the seam lines which looks crap.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Fab, I called around and for the XPEL to cover complete front hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, headlights, rear bumper, arches the price Im getting is around $2000 - $2200.

If I just do front part then its around $1100.

@Dreamszalone, thank you for the inputs. I did consider a full rig wrap in XPEL but then felt it might be way too much.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 AM

2015 - GL 550
Fab, I called around and for the XPEL to cover complete front hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, headlights, rear bumper, arches the price Im getting is around $2000 - $2200.

If I just do front part then its around $1100.

@Dreamszalone, thank you for the inputs. I did consider a full rig wrap in XPEL but then felt it might be way too much.
As its a White color just go with Front Wrap and you should be fine, and instead of Modesta to make the cost lighter go with Opti-Coat as White is a neutral color Opti-Coat\Modesta either one would work.