GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Returning 2016 GL for 2017 GLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GL 350 2016
Returning 2016 GL for 2017 GLS?

Hello I recently took delivery and leased a brand new 2016 GL in august and I wanted to know if anyone has an estimation of how much it would cost if i echange it for the 2017 GLS? Im very pleased with my gl no flaws but the GLS looks awesome too. In your opinion would you wait until the 3 year lease is over and then hope that mercedes will release a newer updated GLS with actual a class features and fee. I hope by the time my lease ends theyll make the GLS more like the s class. To be honest the main thing that caught my eye was the exterior changes the led headlights and the facelift.and oh in not a huge fan of the new dashboard sytem update i like the bigger screen but i dont like that it sticks out unlike the GL. Please let me know what you think. And does anyone here have experience with converting over to a new lease in exchange for a newer mercedes in such a short time? What do you recommend? Ive also been told by Mercedes that you can extend your lease for upto 1 year incase a newer model ones coming out they told me "we think of everything" haha. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by spiderman05; 03-25-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spiderman05
Hello I recently took delivery and leased a brand new 2016 GL in august and I wanted to know if anyone has an estimation of how much it would cost if i echange it for the 2017 GLS? Im very pleased with my gl no flaws but the GLS looks awesome too. In your opinion would you wait until the 3 year lease is over and then hope that mercedes will release a newer updated GLS with actual a class features and fee. I hope by the time my lease ends theyll make the GLS more like the s class. To be honest the main thing that caught my eye was the exterior changes the led headlights and the facelift.and oh in not a huge fan of the new dashboard sytem update i like the bigger screen but i dont like that it sticks out unlike the GL. Please let me know what you think. And does anyone here have experience with converting over to a new lease in exchange for a newer mercedes in such a short time? What do you recommend? Ive also been told by Mercedes that you can extend your lease for upto 1 year incase a newer model ones coming out they told me "we think of everything" haha. Thanks in advance.
If $20k is spare change for you then you are entitled to get a new GLS. The dealership will own you on both transaction so if you must get the latest, you will pay for it dearly.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by jtse
If $20k is spare change for you then you are entitled to get a new GLS. The dealership will own you on both transaction so if you must get the latest, you will pay for it dearly.
+1.

do nothing. ride it out.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
+2 you will take a major financial beating. Difference so minor. Would wait till true body change.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
prolly not worth the depreciation-- enjoy the car.. by the time the resdesign comes out your lease will ending too.. order ahead of time .. and yea they will pull you ahead if your lease runs out 5 months after the new release generation 3, if your lease ends before it comes out then they; extend it until delivery..
they do think of everything-- typical scenario, your lease ends a month or two prior to new model.. extra money for them while you wait for delivery..
Old 03-25-2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by eliontakis
+1.

do nothing. ride it out.
Its too late to do research now. Should have known new facelift was coming before buying unless you got a killer deal on it.

A had a 2014 GL550 and the new facelift does not impress me at all. Its 99.99% the same so dont bother with losing the hard earned money on a new moniker, new ipad screen, body kit (which i think looks uglier). Spent that money on a nice vacation or hundreds of fine dining.

GLS is not all that impressive. Its a marketing scheme and dont fall for it like a sucker. I would rather not upgradr because the GL looks much more agressive than GLS's more "feminine" touch/look.

J
The following users liked this post:
GL- (03-26-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 10:12 PM

MBs
i agree - keep your truck.. not worth the swap..
not hugely impressed with the GLS refresh but my gl63 had a catastrophic issue and was bought back - hence now stuck and had to order a gls..
have to say - the stick on screen and the static buttons- not a fan, i like to feel buttons.
but the new command interface, auto remote start. upped hp etc make it a little more attractive..
i honestly prefer the look of my wifes 13 550 way more to the new 550 body kit-- not as aggressive, loss of seperate DRL leds really makes it look feminine, those bold LEDs change the entire look of the car.. integrated leds are nice too but dont have the presence..
also prefer the old 450 design to the new 450 exterior..

remember one thing about any 'refresh' -- its an after thought and doesnt always sit the same way as when its a redesign..
the only refresh I truly liked was of our 14 E63s-- looked wayyyy better as a refresh.. and still does imho to the new E look..
Old 03-26-2016, 12:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
I would wait for the redesign. The GLS is nice but it's just a refresh. And in all honesty the upgrades are superficial. Now, as for the next gen, that's only a few years away, you can bet Mercedes is working very, very hard on the redesign because it needs to meet the "S" expectation if it's going to carry the moniker, and secondly, they have their sights aimed directly at the Range Rover, and they'll need to deliver on all fronts. And they will. Because the market is hot in this segment and it would be foolish for them not to continue down the path they've already started with the positioning to take more of that pie.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:24 AM
GL-

2016 GL450
Originally Posted by jtse
...body kit (which i think looks uglier).
Nice to know I wasn't alone with the appearance changes. I like the nose on my '16 better than the GLS.

I also think the in-dash screen is classier looking than the tablet stuck on the dash look. The display is an aid and I like to keep it that way with clean dash lines for visibility.

And as I get older, 3 years really isn't that far away.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I also agree that return of your current vehicle to a dealer and change it to 2017 will be financial disaster from your side and happiest day of the dealer's life . If you really so "crazy" about redesigned model - the only realistic way to do it - to put your car on leasetrader or swapalease, find a person who will take over your lease. You can offer some incentive to make it more attractive for potential customers.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by sraza
i agree - keep your truck..
i honestly prefer the look of my wifes 13 550 way more to the new 550 body kit-- not as aggressive, loss of seperate DRL leds really makes it look feminine, those bold LEDs change the entire look of the car.. integrated leds are nice too but dont have the presence..
also prefer the old 450 design to the new 450 exterior..

I agree... One of my biggest beefs is the new GLS 550 has an IDENTICAL front end to the GLE400 and a very similar rear. The logic of making a $90,000+ vehicle look like a $64,000 one is confusing to me. The 2013-16 GL550s were distinctive both in the front and back from the M Class suv's. I'm not quite sure what Mercedes is/was thinking other than they saved some money in the design department. No one will know the difference between a X166 GL and a GLS other than those that have shopped for one.

I also don't like the idea of every vehicle that pulls up beside you knowing what you are listening to on your stereo. The tablet stuck on the top of the dash design advertises to the world what you are listening to or who you are talking to on your cell phone.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by 43221B
I agree... One of my biggest beefs is the new GLS 550 has an IDENTICAL front end to the GLE400 and a very similar rear. The logic of making a $90,000+ vehicle look like a $64,000 one is confusing to me. The 2013-16 GL550s were distinctive both in the front and back from the M Class suv's. I'm not quite sure what Mercedes is/was thinking other than they saved some money in the design department. No one will know the difference between a X166 GL and a GLS other than those that have shopped for one.

I also don't like the idea of every vehicle that pulls up beside you knowing what you are listening to on your stereo. The tablet stuck on the top of the dash design advertises to the world what you are listening to or who you are talking to on your cell phone.
I agree with this - Every time I see the new GLE coming towards me I think it's the new GLS (somehow someone got one early! Or it's a press car...) but as it passes it's a stubby GLE. I think it's a mistake Mercedes has done this for every segment, you can hardly tell the difference between the new C and the upcoming E... And we're car guys/gals here... For the joe consumer or untrained eye which is most, there's no difference which IMO water downs the good, better, best nomenclature quite a bit making neither special at all.

Another criticism I have is that every new gen headlight design is exactly the same with very subtle differences - every car, SUV looks like a refreshed Sprinter van... I hate it... From the GLA, C and all the way through the line, I keep seeing Sprinter van headlights and front end. Have zero clue who in Mercedes came up with this strategy. At least have one design language for each segment if it's all about cost cutting and you have no choice corporately, the Sprinter van... And so on, should be completely distinctive of each other. Mercedes for the last gen IMO had the most gorgeous front ends... Incredibly detailed headlights that we're all super unique, and unique rear lamps with a lot of graphical elements... The rear lights on the current E W212 are gorgeous... The new ones... HO freakin' hum...

Now, outside of all this, Mercedes still leads the pack with overall design and are killing BMW which cannot dig itself out of the giant hole they created with some of the worse strategies in modern corporate history.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 03-26-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:57 PM

MBs
bmw has def messed it up and somehow keep getting deeper into that same hole...
MB been doing it right but this identical headlight design on mulitple cars, cla looking like cls, c,e and s with similar front end, and now all the G lines getting similar look -- not sure where they are going with this.. I miss the ol MB fog lights and even the LED running bars..

GLS rear end , even the 63 -- what in the world happened to the nice A wing.. o well... whats done is done.. I wasnt planning on getting a GLS but no other good 3 row option.. and we need 2, 3rd row cars..
now trying to convince the wife that i'll take her 13'GL550 and she can drive the GLS ..

and based on the way designs are going.. the 2020 3rd gen GLS may have 'more of the same', sure i expect interior upgrades and bottoms up resdesign but MB is sooo far ahead in safety and design compared to everyone else.. not sure how much better they can get with this stuff.. love it.. keep it up..
Old 03-26-2016, 10:18 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
I think GLS will look great in the flesh done up right.

Back in the day, the mid size Benz was a carbon copy of the s class. If they hit a home run with a design like they did with today's s class (imo) I've got no problem that they leverage that design up and down. I think the c and e are both awesome looking vehicles. I gotta see the GLS in the flesh to see if I feel similarly about its likeness (however pronounced) to the GLE, tho.

All that being said, automakers leveraging parts and design elements across models and body styles is here to stay. It's the only way a Benz can justifiably produce a niche, relatively low volume style to meet customer demand and/or match up against a competitor's offering (x6 for example). It's also the price to be paid for their willingness to make absurdly awesome super low volume cars like the e63 wagon while an Audi, for example, deprives us of the rs6 for whatever reason.

My concern is the interior. I drove a 2016 450 a month ago and while it drove awesome, the interior (mb Tex, admittedly) felt, to me at least, sub standard relative to the field (q7, escalade, Volvo). That being said, functionally it's without peer. Best third row there is.

Last edited by bonboon; 03-26-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
I vote to do it, specifically because I want to hear how bad they drag you thru the mud to get it done.

Last edited by Mike450; 03-28-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:59 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
There's no need to "estimate" what it will cost to get out of your current lease. It's all right there in your contract w/ MBFS, not the dealer. You agreed to x # of months at x dollars per month. The cost to get out is all of your remaining payments plus whatever lease end amounts are listed. Your account online also gives you a current payoff quote. If there is a pull ahead from MBFS, you can take advantage of that cancel out a few payments. You can transfer your lease or sell the car as well. Another option is trading it into the dealer, which is the same as selling it. They will certainly give you less than you owe on the existing car and then you have to make up the difference. getting into the new GLS is a completely separate issue. Being 1st on the block w/ a new vehicle is going to cost as well.

Is it worth upgrading? Only you can decide. I went from an ML to a GLE, was able to use the pull ahead to get out of my lease early. I had the ML for 3yrs & 4mos. 6 days in after picking up the GLE, I took it in for something and had an ML overnight. So going back and forth between the 2, things like the screen and buttons are a non issue as you get used to them. The COMAND system seems to be faster, better graphics, and the remote start is nice as well. My ML was a diesel which I put just over 50k on. So I noticed the suspension felt better again and getting used to the gas engine. The rest of the vehicle, the basics of the car are all the same. I personally would just ride it out unless there was a crazy opportunity for short money.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
Just add the "s" emblem after the GL emblem..probably the cheapest way to go and I bet majority of people won't be able to tell...lol
Old 03-30-2016, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by davezaristo
Just add the "s" emblem after the GL emblem..probably the cheapest way to go and I bet majority of people won't be able to tell...lol
LOL ..
Old 03-30-2016, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
+1
Old 03-30-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL550
+1 as well.

And who know if you wait you may actually see Maybach badged model

http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-mer...del-91376.html
Old 03-31-2016, 01:02 AM

Mercedes GL 350 2016
thanks for your responses. heres some pics ive taken with my GL what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Returning 2016 GL for 2017 GLS?-sip-1-.jpg   Returning 2016 GL for 2017 GLS?-sip-2.jpg   Returning 2016 GL for 2017 GLS?-sip-3.jpg   Returning 2016 GL for 2017 GLS?-sip-4.jpg   Returning 2016 GL for 2017 GLS?-sip-5.jpg  

Returning 2016 GL for 2017 GLS?-sip-6.jpg   Returning 2016 GL for 2017 GLS?-sip-7.jpg  

Last edited by spiderman05; 03-31-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by spiderman05
thanks for your responses. heres some pics ive taken with my GL what do you think?
I had the exact same one, and it looks the best. I don't like GLS in the photos thus far compared to that.

If I had a GL450 and no AMG body kit, I would upgrade though.