Notices
GL Class (X166) 2013-Present

Rear Bike Racks

 
Old 06-17-2016, 06:36 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 735
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
GLS450
Rear Bike Racks

Does anyone have suggestions for a rear 3 Bike rack?
jerome8283 is offline  
Old 06-17-2016, 09:00 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
cadetdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA - Minnesota
Posts: 338
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'14 GL350 & E350W4
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for a rear 3 Bike rack?
I'm quite happy with the Yakima Fullswing. It works as advertised and allows one to open the rear hatch with the bikes in place.
cadetdrivr is online now  
The following users liked this post:
jerome8283 (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 PM
  #3  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 735
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr View Post
I'm quite happy with the Yakima Fullswing. It works as advertised and allows one to open the rear hatch with the bikes in place.
Nice solution. Here is a link including a video for others interested.

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-FullSw...ag=googhydr-20
jerome8283 is offline  
Old 06-18-2016, 01:21 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bucks Cty, PA
Posts: 655
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 gl450
Bought a very similar rack at Kmart, it was $125 ... Lol

Holds 5.

Last edited by Mike450; 06-18-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Mike450 is offline  
Old 06-18-2016, 05:39 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr View Post
I'm quite happy with the Yakima Fullswing. It works as advertised and allows one to open the rear hatch with the bikes in place.
That's an awesome bike rack, does something like that exist for 5?
sg021 is offline  
Old 06-18-2016, 08:01 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 195
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by sg021 View Post
That's an awesome bike rack, does something like that exist for 5?
Not exactly,
https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-FullTi...yakima+5+bikes
tate16t is offline  
Old 06-18-2016, 08:47 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
cadetdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA - Minnesota
Posts: 338
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'14 GL350 & E350W4
Originally Posted by Mike450 View Post
Bought a very similar rack at Kmart, it was $125 ... Lol

Holds 5.
Just imagine what you could have saved by buying a Dodge Durango instead of a GL. LOL.

cadetdrivr is online now  
Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bucks Cty, PA
Posts: 655
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 gl450
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr View Post
Just imagine what you could have saved by buying a Dodge Durango instead of a GL. LOL.


Of course, but just being honest, rack is made in America, solid tubing, folds out of the way when on hitch, rubber guards where bike sits etc.


Just couldn't justify paying 5x's for a rack I use maybe a dozen times a year.
Mike450 is offline  
Old 06-20-2016, 05:13 PM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 735
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by Mike450 View Post
Of course, but just being honest, rack is made in America, solid tubing, folds out of the way when on hitch, rubber guards where bike sits etc.


Just couldn't justify paying 5x's for a rack I use maybe a dozen times a year.
Can post a link to the one you bought for $125?
jerome8283 is offline  
Old 06-20-2016, 06:43 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bucks Cty, PA
Posts: 655
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 gl450
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
Can post a link to the one you bought for $125?
Allen sports rack. Here is their 3 bike carrier.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/44751211?w...103312&veh=sem
Mike450 is offline  
Old 06-20-2016, 10:25 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 195
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Mike450 View Post
Allen sports rack. Here is their 3 bike carrier.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/44751211?w...103312&veh=sem
I like the Yakima Fullswing solution better. The 'drop out of the way' concept doesn't appear out of the way for me. Also, it looks like an $89 solution, not to say I'd spend $500 on one but the Yakima Fullswing looks a whole lot better.
tate16t is offline  
Old 06-20-2016, 10:38 PM
  #12  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bucks Cty, PA
Posts: 655
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 gl450
Originally Posted by tate16t View Post
I like the Yakima Fullswing solution better. The 'drop out of the way' concept doesn't appear out of the way for me. Also, it looks like an $89 solution, not to say I'd spend $500 on one but the Yakima Fullswing looks a whole lot better.
It's a bike rack. It carries bikes.
Maybe I'd be more concerned with how it looked if it didn't spend months packed away in the back of a shed and was mounted on the truck for more than 6-7 hours the few times a year it is used.

Last edited by Mike450; 06-20-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Mike450 is offline  
Old 06-21-2016, 09:11 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
cadetdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA - Minnesota
Posts: 338
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'14 GL350 & E350W4
Originally Posted by Mike450 View Post
It's a bike rack. It carries bikes.
Maybe I'd be more concerned with how it looked if it didn't spend months packed away in the back of a shed and was mounted on the truck for more than 6-7 hours the few times a year it is used.
That's just it. It all depends on how you plan to use it.

In my case, the "swing away" ability with the bikes on the rack is far more convenient than a "drop down" rack. These are two fairly different designs so it's not simply a build quality or appearance comparison.
cadetdrivr is online now  
Old 06-21-2016, 12:20 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 97
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
18 Model X, 13 GL350, 13 Odyssey, 07 530i
What would you recommend for a 4-bike-carrier/rack? I have a hitch package.
jacobsung is offline  
Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 216
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my14 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
I ALMOST bought a 1upusa bike rack for hitch mount. It's very cool. But then I bought a Brompton folding bike.
cincy8 is online now  
Old 07-23-2016, 08:58 AM
  #16  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 735
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr View Post
I'm quite happy with the Yakima Fullswing. It works as advertised and allows one to open the rear hatch with the bikes in place.
I've looked at many bike racks and the Yakima Fullswing meets my requirements. I may pick one up today. Thanks!
jerome8283 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Bike Racks


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: