GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Need help with Passenger side Exterior Mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL 350
Need help with Passenger side Exterior Mirror

X166 Brethern,
Someone hit my passenger side mirror and it cracked. I have ordered a mirror and am awaiting its arrival.
I need all your help. I have done multiple searches, and am unable to find a method specific to X166.
I spent 2 hours trying to get the mirror out yesterday, but am not progressing as I am scared of breaking something. Methods tried are:
1) Removing the housing first. This is clearly not working, as the mirror is in the way
2) Trying to pry the mirror out. This seems to be the logical approach. The method I want to try is to point the mirror down, and then carefully put my fingers behind the mirror to loosen it from the motor mount.

Any suggestions from you guys? Please help. Does anyone have WIS? Please look up this method and advise.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts
S 550, S65 Coupe
Tilt the Mirror all the way down so you can get your fingers behind the top of it. Pull firmly and it will pop out. The mirror housing is held on by 1 torx screw that is behind the mirror and toward the outside. Once the torx is out you can pull up firmly on the housing and it will come free. If you want to unplug the mirror glass you can or you can just fish it out of the mirror housing as you pull it up and off. It is not difficult at all.
The following users liked this post:
guhanp (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GL450
Jim's instructions sound very similar to that of my old VW, which required total disassembly to replace the turn signals that died around 130k. If there's nothing for the GL specifically, you could probably still look at youtube videos of other Mercedes vehicles that will likely have a very similar procedure.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:38 PM

2014 GL 350
SG,
I have looked for days. . I bought WIS from a guy on EBAY and its not working despite multiple attempts.
So I am back to good ole fashioned car repair, with common sense and caution

Originally Posted by sg021
Jim's instructions sound very similar to that of my old VW, which required total disassembly to replace the turn signals that died around 130k. If there's nothing for the GL specifically, you could probably still look at youtube videos of other Mercedes vehicles that will likely have a very similar procedure.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GL450
Originally Posted by guhanp
SG,
I have looked for days. . I bought WIS from a guy on EBAY and its not working despite multiple attempts.
So I am back to good ole fashioned car repair, with common sense and caution
Not sure if it's exactly the same but probably enough to get the job done.

*removed

Last edited by sg021; 08-01-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: removed not applicable videos
Old 07-31-2016, 02:21 PM

2014 GL 350
SG021,
These videos wont work, as the X166 has a torx bolt that prevents the housing from coming off. The access to the torx is only AFTER the mirror is removed.
Plus in the X166, the mirror is in the way of the housing, unlike these videos where the housing can be removed with the mirror intact.
Trust me, i tried the technique in the first video, and it does not work. the mirror obstructs the path in X166. Not to mention the torx bolt.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:36 PM

2014 GL 350
Going to give this a shot as soon as new mirror arrives. You're sure about this, right Jim? It seems logical.
Is there any other tool I can use to make this easier?

Originally Posted by Jim Ma
Tilt the Mirror all the way down so you can get your fingers behind the top of it. Pull firmly and it will pop out. The mirror housing is held on by 1 torx screw that is behind the mirror and toward the outside. Once the torx is out you can pull up firmly on the housing and it will come free. If you want to unplug the mirror glass you can or you can just fish it out of the mirror housing as you pull it up and off. It is not difficult at all.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:09 PM

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts
S 550, S65 Coupe
I am sure of it as I changed both of my mirror covers out to switch from White to Black. When you get your new one in you will see where the torx is. It doesn't take too much effort to remove the mirror glass. It take a little more to lift up the mirror housing cover but is still easy. It is very similar to the video that was posted but you have to get the torx out before the housing can come off.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 AM

2014 GL 350
Originally Posted by Jim Ma
I am sure of it as I changed both of my mirror covers out to switch from White to Black. When you get your new one in you will see where the torx is. It doesn't take too much effort to remove the mirror glass. It take a little more to lift up the mirror housing cover but is still easy. It is very similar to the video that was posted but you have to get the torx out before the housing can come off.
Jim,
Special Thanks to you, not to mention all forum members who helped out with this. Replaced the mirror yesterday. Such a painless job, esp. after Jim's guidance.
Everything is working well.
Old 07-16-2024, 02:29 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
Which Torx? I see 3

Reviving this thread. I'm working on something similar but I see 3+ Torx screw. Can someone tell me which I need to remove to pop the cover! I also have a 360 camera so I hope the instructions still apply.