GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

MB Branding?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB ML 350
MB Branding?

Hello to everyone, I previously owned several BMW X5's and Lexus RX 350 over the last 15 years or so. I ordered a new MB ML 350 back in 2015 and have liked the vehicle. But I have a question for everyone. I have purchased BMW's, Lexus and now MB because I like the seemingly extra quality, luxury and rarity that comes with these vehicles. But I have become somewhat shocked by MB's product marketing in the USA over the last year. First, I have been seeing commercials for MB work-a-day vans. Now, apparently MB is building a pickup truck. Is it just me or is MB diluting their luxury brand image in the USA? I know in Europe, MB is kind of like Chevrolet here in the USA, where even taxi cabs are MB's. But in the USA for decades, MB has solely been a luxury brand that people work and aspire to own. If I wanted a vehicle from a general audience producer, I would just buy a Chevrolet. Unfortunately, my next vehicle purchase may be back to a BMW X5.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1st - Sprinter lineup is very well established in EU, Asia and other markets as top quality "van" and Metris here is Vito elsewhere again top ranked van in that segment.

The "Worker" Sprinter line up is Sprinter's direction to compete with Ford, Nissan. etc on price point - without sacrificing built-in quality.

The "Mercedes pickup" being released in same areas - same best-brand positioning for those markets.

As much as you reference those - the AMG ultra-performanc luxury line up has GREATLY expanded over the past two years - and there I think you would agree that is brand building in the direction you feel MB should continue to point too.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:28 PM

2015 MB ML 350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
1st - Sprinter lineup is very well established in EU, Asia and other markets as top quality "van" and Metris here is Vito elsewhere again top ranked van in that segment.

The "Worker" Sprinter line up is Sprinter's direction to compete with Ford, Nissan. etc on price point - without sacrificing built-in quality.

The "Mercedes pickup" being released in same areas - same best-brand positioning for those markets.

As much as you reference those - the AMG ultra-performanc luxury line up has GREATLY expanded over the past two years - and there I think you would agree that is brand building in the direction you feel MB should continue to point too.
Hello fabbrisd1, thanks for your reply. But your reply kind of proves my point. I am referring to the long created MB "Luxury" brand image in the USA, not necessarily a "quality" comparison question. MB shouldn't be competing in any way with "Ford, Nissan" or Chevrolet, etc. In the USA MB should be competing against BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, etc., in other words, other "luxury" brands. My point is that in MB's quest to grow in the USA, they are going in the direction of a mass market producer (van, pickup truck) and thereby tarnishing their "luxury" brand image in the USA. If BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, Infiniti, etc. all come out with a work-a-day van and a pickup truck, I would most certainly change my opinion, but I don't see those companies producing a work-a-day van and a pickup truck.

AMG is more of a trim/performance level than a vehicle line, much in the same way as the various "M" series BMW's. MB has definitely expanded them, but that's simply because they can add a few things to even their lower line vehicles, slap the AMG label on and price accordingly.

My overall point is that MB is diluting their long created "Luxury" brand image in the USA by selling work-a-day vans and a pickup truck under the MB name.

Last edited by dprice03; 10-29-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 ML 350
I've owned MBs since early 1990s. In my opinion, MB as a luxury brand extends to most of the segments they start building cars for.

MB was one of the first luxury brand cars that came out with the SUV. Back when they were still referred to as tough work cars. I'm sure there were plenty of people that thought the same thing, that MB lowered people's perception of their brand "luxuriousness". Same goes with Porsche and it's cayenne lots of people thought the world was gonna end when Porsche started making SUVs. Even brands like Bentely, and Aston Martin are building SUVs, who've tought? Now, we are all in one of the many MB SUV forums discussing the "luxuriousness" of other MB products we are not used to.

Me and many of my friends with family would spend more money then we did on our GLs if Mercedes comes out with a good minivan. Couple of my friends are waiting for the Mercedes pickup. Although they are less sure after finding out that it's gonna be based off of a Nissan platform. To me, it's not as much as what type of car MB builds, but rather how it's executed. MB was going to build the Metris as a $60k luxury minivan, problem was that after people from focus groups overwhelming negative feedback, they pretty much scratched the idea.

Personally, I think the cheapness feel of the CLA does more damage to the overall luxuriousness of the MB brand than a well build Pickup. Of course, that's IMHO.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:22 PM

2015 MB ML 350
Originally Posted by mrtoofay
I've owned MBs since early 1990s. In my opinion, MB as a luxury brand extends to most of the segments they start building cars for.

MB was one of the first luxury brand cars that came out with the SUV. Back when they were still referred to as tough work cars. I'm sure there were plenty of people that thought the same thing, that MB lowered people's perception of their brand "luxuriousness". Same goes with Porsche and it's cayenne lots of people thought the world was gonna end when Porsche started making SUVs. Even brands like Bentely, and Aston Martin are building SUVs, who've tought? Now, we are all in one of the many MB SUV forums discussing the "luxuriousness" of other MB products we are not used to.

Me and many of my friends with family would spend more money then we did on our GLs if Mercedes comes out with a good minivan. Couple of my friends are waiting for the Mercedes pickup. Although they are less sure after finding out that it's gonna be based off of a Nissan platform. To me, it's not as much as what type of car MB builds, but rather how it's executed. MB was going to build the Metris as a $60k luxury minivan, problem was that after people from focus groups overwhelming negative feedback, they pretty much scratched the idea.

Personally, I think the cheapness feel of the CLA does more damage to the overall luxuriousness of the MB brand than a well build Pickup. Of course, that's IMHO.
Those are very interesting thoughts. With every manufacturer looking to grow their business, they may inevitably go into non traditional market segments. But I can't help but look at those other luxury brands that aren't doing that. I just don't see BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc. building vans and pickup trucks. Do you see Infiniti producing a luxury brand version of the Nissan pickup truck, since Infiniti is owned by Nissan, I just don't think so. It isn't even the fact that MB is building work-a-day vans, it was really the tv commercials that disappointed me. It showed people simply using the MB vans for various work projects, at work sites, etc., I thought I was watching a commercial for a Ford or Chevrolet van. It just seemed to dilute the "Luxury" brand image that MB has created in the USA over so many decades. Sure every luxury brand has SUV's, but SUV's were somewhat of a new market segment, whereas vans and pickup trucks have been around much longer. To me, I guess when a luxury brand branches out into vans and pickup trucks, it's a bridge too far, they are simply becoming a mass audience producer, thereby diluting the luxury brand image, IMHO.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:48 PM

13 GL450
Yeah, BMW.

Last edited by AutosRUs; 10-30-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Mr D Price - I would suggest you deepen your outlook with correct information ...

"AMG is more of a trim/performance level than a vehicle line, much in the same way as the various "M" series BMW's." -

https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialMercedesAMG/videos
Old 11-05-2016, 07:02 AM

GL 500 2015 x166
BMW vs MB

Just sold my 2012 X5 BMW 40D (twin turbo diesel) because I needed a 7 seater for my growing family. Great car but a few flaws. Poor stereo/interface/navigation. Drivers seat average. Poor resale. Rattled.

Just bought a GL500 2015 (twin turbo petrol V8). Its a better (and more expensive). The seat and interface are awesome. It Looks good and the family love it. It does cost more to run (approx 20% in fuel). Its bigger and the handling even in sport mode is a bit vaguer. I get way more looks /compliments /question in the merc if that is important to you