GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL 350 2014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
GL 350 2014

Does anybody has an engine failure? we had 2 years old + 1 year extra warranty and 1 month after warranty oil pump failure and we lost whole engine. service done only in mb workshop.We wrote a letter to Mercedes and no help. does anybody had same problems? Or is it true that engine is lasting only 125000km for such a luxury car, shows the quality of the top brand?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Where are you located buddy ? You're saying a Oil Pump "failed" ?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:15 PM

Beaters 'til they die
As a new GL350 owner, that's a bit scary.W ere there previous issues with the engine that caused it to have to be disassembled? Did you get warning lights before the engine blew?
Old 04-10-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Wow, 77k miles?!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
2nd request - Where are you located buddy ? You're saying a Oil Pump "failed" ?

Please advise on both/above - where - and exactly what failed ?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:09 PM

2014 gl350 designo
i own a fleet of these engines and have read about many people having seized/ sludged engines. Fwiw , it all comes down to the correct oil used and the vehicles type of usage. You can read all about the woes of owners of these; some justified , some clearly not. These engines wil go go and go if they are 1- driven with a heavy foot , and 2- no idling and short distance usage. 3- regular frequent oil changes depending on usage.Of course then fuel being too high in soybean content does not help , but mother mercedes told ya so!!

Fab, he hasnt answered cause he's not in the u.s. Probably. But then again even my english needs improvement time and time again. 😝

Last edited by #2burners; 04-10-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: None
Old 04-11-2017, 04:56 PM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
I keep seeing these statements about the Bluetec what is one suposed to do specifically?

Lead foot = lower gas mileage
No idiling = 5 minutes or greater
No short distance = 1 mile or less?
Frequent oil changes = 5k miles?
No Bio Diesel = 0%?

I drive my GL 30 miles to work (45mins- 1hr), backroad, hwy, city a couple days a week. Should I trade my GL in for a gasser based on my travels?

Originally Posted by #2burners
i own a fleet of these engines and have read about many people having seized/ sludged engines. Fwiw , it all comes down to the correct oil used and the vehicles type of usage. You can read all about the woes of owners of these; some justified , some clearly not. These engines wil go go and go if they are 1- driven with a heavy foot , and 2- no idling and short distance usage. 3- regular frequent oil changes depending on usage.Of course then fuel being too high in soybean content does not help , but mother mercedes told ya so!!

Fab, he hasnt answered cause he's not in the u.s. Probably. But then again even my english needs improvement time and time again. 😝
Old 04-11-2017, 08:10 PM

2014 gl350 designo
Originally Posted by DC-BENZ
I keep seeing these statements about the Bluetec what is one suposed to do specifically?

Lead foot = lower gas mileage
No idiling = 5 minutes or greater
No short distance = 1 mile or less?
Frequent oil changes = 5k miles?
No Bio Diesel = 0%?

I drive my GL 30 miles to work (45mins- 1hr), backroad, hwy, city a couple days a week. Should I trade my GL in for a gasser based on my travels?
Well DC , my experiance since 08 with the OM 642 has been great except for the dreaded oil cooler leak on our '14 gl 350 and an injector early on. The highest mileage one is an '08 Sprinter with 130k on it . I'm not saying to drive it like you stole it and get speeding tickets but to "get into the pedal " is good for the aftertreatment exhaust system.
Oil changes based upon driving frequency i think is critical. I wouldnt run out and dump your gl based upon its low usage because it sounds like your at least driving it long cycle and at highway speeds which is good for it and any vehicle for that matter.
Just change the oil every 7500k and you'll be good. Dont forget the engine air filters as well. Inspect every 10k , change or change every 20k.

Yes , long time idiling lowers the combustion temp in cylinders and creates incomplete combustion. This results in oil dilution which adds fuel in the oil . Not good especially if the fuel contains more than 5% bio. Thats where the sludge can come from and or using the incorrect oil spec.
Mercedes max on bio content is b10. In my area there is nothing more than b5 . So stay away from anything higher than b10 for warranty purposes.
We also change out the fuel filter every 10k miles or once a year . Cheap insurance for fuel system problems.
Hope this helps

Last edited by #2burners; 04-11-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 04-11-2017, 08:33 PM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
I also have a '10 ML Bluetec with 113k miles on it. Within 24 months I had to replace the oil cooler, DEF tank, and Fuel Pump. Whenever I sell it the new owner will have at least 70k miles trouble free....possibly.

Will the 7,500 mile oil change avoid the inevitable oil cooler leak? Do you guys change out the fuel filter yourselves and is the change effort similar to the W164?

Well DC , my experiance since 08 with the OM 642 has been great except for the dreaded oil cooler leak on our '14 gl 350 and an injector early on. The highest mileage one is an '08 Sprinter with 130k on it . I'm not saying to drive it like you stole it and get speeding tickets but to "get into the pedal " is good for the aftertreatment exhaust system.
Oil changes based upon driving frequency i think is critical. I wouldnt run out and dump your gl based upon its low usage because it sounds like your at least driving it long cycle and at highway speeds which is good for it and any vehicle for that matter.
Just change the oil every 7500k and you'll be good.

Yes , long time idiling lowers the combustion temp in cylinders and creates incomplete combustion. This results in oil dilution which adds fuel in the oil . Not good especially if the fuel contains more than 5% bio. Thats where the sludge can come from and or using the incorrect oil spec.
Mercedes max on bio content is b10. In my area there is nothing more than b5 . So stay away from anything higher than b10 for warranty purposes.
We also change out the fuel filter every 10k miles or once a year . Cheap insurance for fuel system problems.
Hope this helps

Last edited by DC-BENZ; 04-11-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM

2014 gl350 designo
I dont think oil change frequency has anything to do with it leaking. The 08 sprinter with 130k on it hasnt leaked yet but the gl leak happened at ~ 53k . The gl is my wifes and she piles mi on. I change the oil just as frequent as i mentioned . I do know that the oil cooler seals have been revised multiple times by MB . Maybe its the torque spec that was out on mine but honestly idk . It was replaced at my fantastic dealer 50 mi away under the elw we purchased. In reality these forums are great tools for all to use but the horror stories we hear are just a small amount of vehicles that are actually out there running perfectly w/ no leaks or issues.
Drive it like ya stole it! ( just kidding)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:02 PM

2014 gl350 designo
Forgot fuel filter ?
Yes i change them out . Similar to x164 but a few differences. Over on the benzworld forum there is a gentleman that has documented all maintenance on his x166 and recently a fuel and transmission service.
very detailed and exactly how its done. I do adaptations w / xentry but if you dont have the right " tools" you wont be able to tell the car to "zero" out the new filters replacement. But i believe over time the car will figure it out anyway.
Hope this helps
Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 PM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Drive it like I stole it... more like drive it holding $2k in the bank for the oil cooler or DEF repair. However, I do enjoy the ride over my 164.

I dont think oil change frequency has anything to do with it leaking. The 08 sprinter with 130k on it hasnt leaked yet but the gl leak happened at ~ 53k . The gl is my wifes and she piles mi on. I change the oil just as frequent as i mentioned . I do know that the oil cooler seals have been revised multiple times by MB . Maybe its the torque spec that was out on mine but honestly idk . It was replaced at my fantastic dealer 50 mi away under the elw we purchased. In reality these forums are great tools for all to use but the horror stories we hear are just a small amount of vehicles that are actually out there running perfectly w/ no leaks or issues.
Drive it like ya stole it! ( just kidding)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:02 PM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
I think I read somewhere that you need to adapt the DEF tank too. I didn't on my 164 and it seems to work fine.

I have read that guys posts, he "stays" in his garage.

Forgot fuel filter ?
Yes i change them out . Similar to x164 but a few differences. Over on the benzworld forum there is a gentleman that has documented all maintenance on his x166 and recently a fuel and transmission service.
very detailed and exactly how its done. I do adaptations w / xentry but if you dont have the right " tools" you wont be able to tell the car to "zero" out the new filters replacement. But i believe over time the car will figure it out anyway.
Hope this helps
Old 04-13-2017, 09:39 PM

2014 gl350 designo
Maybe he has a wife like mine!
Old 08-19-2021, 12:08 AM

2015 GL 450
Intake manifold?

My 2015 gl 450 apparently needs a new intake manifold and left turbo booster at a whopping 6k$ price tag. I have read several posts about the actuator rods being made of plastic and failing, then being sucked into the engine and destroying it. Could that be what happened? I called MB corporate to discuss this as if the actuator rod on the flap is broken due to subpar materials, shouldn’t that be on them. I had an ML prior and and it ran till 160k with no problems. I upgraded for the extra passenger space as we added kids! Sadly I’m wondering if I should switch from MB, as the extras that I look for and the safety can be found elsewhere. I’m torn bc I love my MB.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
S320 GL350
There was a plastic actuator part inside the intake of my old R class with the v6 gas engine. When it broke an entire bank of cylinders were shut down by the computer and I had to replace ithe intake after a smoke test for leaks. Head damage also repaired…about 12,000 after an Indy shop put the engine back together and forgot a loose part (lifter) inside and had to again disassemble to fix. Seems the later parts were more robust as my first year r350 (2006) had some questionable reliability. I have a diesel gl now. So far no real problems but i over service it and baby it.