GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Trailer Brake Controller Mounting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2012 C250, 2016 C300, 2013 GL350
Trailer Brake Controller Mounting

As most GL owners know, there are plenty of questions surrounding the towing of trailers, trailer hitches, and brake controllers. I thought these pictures would help anyone that is considering adding a brake controller to their GL. I used a Tekonsha P3 and mounted it underneath my steering column. The wiring was fairly straight forward. If you reach to the far back of the steering column and feel underneath the plastic shroud, there is plenty of clearance for screws for mounting, and it does not interfere with the movement of the steering wheel. The P3 is within easy reach and sight when towing, and it easily detaches from the mount when not in use.

Hopefully this is helpful to a few of you out there.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Brake Controller Mounting-img_9227.jpg   Trailer Brake Controller Mounting-img_9225.jpg   Trailer Brake Controller Mounting-img_9285.jpg   Trailer Brake Controller Mounting-img_9282.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by Bumpdaddy:
amusa (03-14-2023), Eugene74 (09-04-2022), itb76 (11-20-2017), tonylop33 (12-13-2017)
Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Help With Install

What harness did you use to connect the GL's harness to the brake controller?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,126 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Here try this:
We installed per the attached instructions, but later switched to the Tekonsha RF (radio, wireless). We strap the controller to the center console, because it's closer and doesn't need to be solidly mounted to activate the accelerometer. The accelerometer is attached to the trailer itself.
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
amusa (03-14-2023)
Old 03-13-2018, 05:05 PM

2013 GL450
Thanks! Why did you switch to the RF controller?
Old 03-13-2018, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
We went RF because I don't like reaching for a control, because if you need the manual lever, you need it NOW. On the console, it's right at hand.
Also didn't want to drill holes, and I hadn't discovered the Industrial Strength Velcro.
I still have the pigtail, as in the above attachment, in case we want to pull somebody else's trailer.
I called Tekonsha and talked to one of their engineers, who said the RF is their best performer, saying that having the accelerometer on the trailer itself gives better control overall.
It's probably more a personal preference of where, and at what angle, you want the lever. Top or bottom, high or low, etc.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GL 350
Originally Posted by Bumpdaddy
As most GL owners know, there are plenty of questions surrounding the towing of trailers, trailer hitches, and brake controllers. I thought these pictures would help anyone that is considering adding a brake controller to their GL. I used a Tekonsha P3 and mounted it underneath my steering column. The wiring was fairly straight forward. If you reach to the far back of the steering column and feel underneath the plastic shroud, there is plenty of clearance for screws for mounting, and it does not interfere with the movement of the steering wheel. The P3 is within easy reach and sight when towing, and it easily detaches from the mount when not in use.

Not sure about second generation GL, but we have a first generation GL 350 and it has driver side knee airbag and hence installing the brake controller under the steering column is not possible -- if airbag deploys the brake controller could fly out and hurt someone. This is how what I did:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/x164...ml#post5782281

I know the center console in second generation GL is different, but this could give others ideas on what to do.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GL350 (Sold), 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by mikapen
We went RF because I don't like reaching for a control, because if you need the manual lever, you need it NOW. On the console, it's right at hand.
Also didn't want to drill holes, and I hadn't discovered the Industrial Strength Velcro.
I still have the pigtail, as in the above attachment, in case we want to pull somebody else's trailer.
I called Tekonsha and talked to one of their engineers, who said the RF is their best performer, saying that having the accelerometer on the trailer itself gives better control overall.
It's probably more a personal preference of where, and at what angle, you want the lever. Top or bottom, high or low, etc.
Hi Mikapen,

I have bought the same RF controller but didn't installed it yet. Did you have any difficulties to pair controller box to the remote? I have read some people had a hard time doing this.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile

Originally Posted by AkTech
Hi Mikapen,

I have bought the same RF controller but didn't installed it yet. Did you have any difficulties to pair controller box to the remote? I have read some people had a hard time doing this.

Thanks.
I had no problems. It paired immediately, first try. I just followed the directions and then drove off.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:55 PM

GL 550
Originally Posted by Bumpdaddy

Hi Bumpdaddy

I assume this was a plug and play installation? My 09 GL 550 already has a seven pin connector at the rear of the vehicle so I assume this was all done under the drivers side dash?
Old 06-20-2020, 09:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 GLE 350
Hi,
I am considering purchasing 2016 GLE 350 for towing a Lance trailer GVWR 5500 lbs. Dry weight 4000 lbs.
I have the stabilizing hitch on the trailer already.

The car I am looking at already has trailer hitch (So I assume it has wiring connector at the back).
I will check that when I look at the car.
Does GLE 350 come with 7 pin round trailer connector (X58/11) or 4 pin flat connector?

I want to get the break controller and can easily wire it up front (Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Eletric Trailer Brakes Module Box Controller).
It comes with wiring harness to connect to car wiring at front.
OR I could buy the RF controller listed above... Can someone give me link/part number for RF controller?
How does RF controller work? You still connect trailer connector to car's 7 pin connector? Then how does RF connector give break signal?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 06-21-2020, 11:24 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Roberttz
Hi,
I am considering purchasing 2016 GLE 350 for towing a Lance trailer GVWR 5500 lbs. Dry weight 4000 lbs.
I have the stabilizing hitch on the trailer already.

The car I am looking at already has trailer hitch (So I assume it has wiring connector at the back).
I will check that when I look at the car.
Does GLE 350 come with 7 pin round trailer connector (X58/11) or 4 pin flat connector?

I want to get the break controller and can easily wire it up front (Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Eletric Trailer Brakes Module Box Controller).
It comes with wiring harness to connect to car wiring at front.
OR I could buy the RF controller listed above... Can someone give me link/part number for RF controller?
How does RF controller work? You still connect trailer connector to car's 7 pin connector? Then how does RF connector give break signal?

Thanks,
Robert
Hi Robert,

While I'd suggest asking this in the GLE forum, there is enough similarity with the GL that I'd strongly suggest a couple items:

1) Verify that the vehicle you are looking at has the factory hitch and not an aftermarket one. The factory hitch is robust and has its wiring integrated into the factory harness. Also, it's not uncommon for owners to add aftermarket hitches to haul bike racks, etc., that may or may not have wiring.

2) Look closely at the tongue weight of your trailer and the limit for the GLE. Often this becomes more limiting that the GVWR.

3) Include the X166 GL/GLS in your search. Used, the prices are much closer than new between the GLS ands GLE. The standard air suspension on the X166 will keep the truck level even with lots of weight in the back.,

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 06-21-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 GLE 350
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Hi Robert,

While I'd suggest asking this in the GLE forum, there is enough similarity with the GL that I'd strongly suggest a couple items:

1) Verify that the vehicle you are looking at has the factory hitch and not an aftermarket one. The factory hitch is robust and has its wiring integrated into the factory harness. Also, it's not uncommon for owners to add aftermarket hitches to haul bike racks, etc., that may or may not have wiring.

2) Look closely at the tongue weight of your trailer and the limit for the GLE. Often this becomes more limiting that the GVWR.

3) Include the X166 GL/GLS in your search. Used, the prices are much closer than new between the GLS ands GLE. The standard air suspension on the X166 will keep the truck level even with lots of weight in the back.,

Hi Thanks for feedback. I didn't realize I was in GL and not GLE forum.. Oh well.
I ended up getting used GLE 350. It does have factory hitch and NOT after market. There is a 7 pin connector.
The tongue weight on trailer is 435 lbs.
Per 2016 GLE spec... Class III/IV, 2" Receiver. Rear. 5000 lb Gross Trailer Weight; 500 lb Tongue Weight; 6000 lbs. Weight Distributing; 600 lbs.
Looks like it should work.